HD Setup (not an issue Q)

HeroGM

I'm curious how people have their setups for HD. USB stick? HrdDrive?

Keep your files in one big directory or sort them out? Any special way you name them?

I'm running mine on USB, sorted directories and named with date at the end (IronAvenger20211220), with save as and new date when I update the file. Allows me to keep track of where players are spending points or I can introduce past versions.

• 3 weeks later...

External hard drive for now;  main-use system is a NUC with a small-ish SSD.  Got a 4 TB external, so lots of bigger stuff goes there.

Considering a Win 11 box;  the NUC is feeling sluggish.  Part of that, tho, is Windows and external hard drives.  Drive goes to sleep after a relatively short period of time;  Windows seems to need to reload the entire file table...or something like that.  So there's major lag.  And, the NUC is not Win 11 ready according to MS.  Well, OK, it's an i3-based NUC that's several years old now.  If I do upgrade, I'm likely to go with something like 512 gig SSD and 1 or 2 gig hard drive built in, UNLESS I go for another NUC.  Probably not, but they're dead quiet, and I do love that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Under the Character Folder, I have a Campaign Folder, like HeroGM, I use a date at the end of the file name, but I keep, <Hero Name>,"_6e_" <Points/XP> "_YYYYMMDD"

I keep a copy of the Campaign Everyman Skills in this folder. I also create folders for each Organization (VIllains, Hero groups), and a "Everyone" folder for generics, like SWAT, Police, etc.

In these folders I have PDF exports of the NPCs and Characters ready. I do this, since we game online, and I have my session notes in a OneNote sheet with copied links for quick reference.

I guess I fully integrate my campaign folder with Designer as I use the tool so much.

• 2 weeks later...