I need a name for my supervillain mafia

Riposte

Hello everyone,

I need a good name for a kind of mafia created and controlled by supervillain. Tired of fighting heros in bad world's conquest plan, they decided to organised the mundane crime such as vice, drugs, weapons dealing, racket....

They have customs, tradition, rules.... but... i dont have a name.

Any suggestion?

Stealing...

The Nighthawks (Feist...they were technically assassins but so what)

Manus Nigrum (the Black Hand, from VtM)

the Mockers (also Feist...Krondor's thieves' guild)

SPECTRE

Hydra

the Stainless Steel Rats (Harry Harrison)

not stealing...

the Phantom League

the Sundown Society...their work is at night or in the shadows

"The Community"

Never intended to become a name, just like the classic name for the Mafia: "La Cosa Nostra" is literally just the phrase "our thing", used to refer obscurely to the crime organisation you're running. In the case of "The Community", it was a case of people involved always providing themselves with plausible deniability and even a veneer of respectability, as they do things on behalf of "The Community".

They don't expect you to pay for protection or anything. They simply prefer you to be a generous donor, providing the community with "necessary funding". They don't try to recruit impressionable young mutants or metahumans, to serve as lieutenants of a street gang. No, they simply welcome them to the super-powered community. And if it ends up with them implicated for, or even involved in, some initial crimes, that's just more evidence that the rest of the world is out to get people like us, and only people in The Community really have your back. The super-"heroes"? They're all just sell-outs.

My first instinct was to go with a favorite pejorative of the supers genre as a whole: "Spandex Commandos."

However, even before I finished thinking it, it occurred to me that an intelligent group of criminals-- mafia or not-- would realize that advertising the idea that this group is organized by super-powered individuals increases the risk of drawing super-powered scrutiny.  The much more clever thing to do would to be name themselves after an archaic organization or a name that sounded "kinda like all the others" while quietly encouraging the _rumor_ that this organization is run by "way more powerful men than most other families can boast of" and kind of let it ride.

7 hours ago, DoctorImpossible said:

"The Community"

Never intended to become a name, just like the classic name for the Mafia: "La Cosa Nostra" is literally just the phrase "our thing", used to refer obscurely to the crime organisation you're running. In the case of "The Community", it was a case of people involved always providing themselves with plausible deniability and even a veneer of respectability, as they do things on behalf of "The Community".

They don't expect you to pay for protection or anything. They simply prefer you to be a generous donor, providing the community with "necessary funding". They don't try to recruit impressionable young mutants or metahumans, to serve as lieutenants of a street gang. No, they simply welcome them to the super-powered community. And if it ends up with them implicated for, or even involved in, some initial crimes, that's just more evidence that the rest of the world is out to get people like us, and only people in The Community really have your back. The super-"heroes"? They're all just sell-outs.

I'm stealing this - I'll give you credit when I do...

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

My first instinct was to go with a favorite pejorative of the supers genre as a whole: "Spandex Commandos."

However, even before I finished thinking it, it occurred to me that an intelligent group of criminals-- mafia or not-- would realize that advertising the idea that this group is organized by super-powered individuals increases the risk of drawing super-powered scrutiny.  The much more clever thing to do would to be name themselves after an archaic organization or a name that sounded "kinda like all the others" while quietly encouraging the _rumor_ that this organization is run by "way more powerful men than most other families can boast of" and kind of let it ride.

Likely a more realistic approach...

• 2 weeks later...

The https://www.thesaurus.com/ is your friend.  Do we win a prize for best name?  Maybe a couple of XP Foxbat might have stashed?

1. The Cartel
  2. The Plunderbund (def: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plunderbund)
  3. The Consortium
  4. The Ring
  5. The Corporation
  6. The Association
  7. The Guild of Cleaners, Fixers, and Safecrackers
  8. The Enterprising Villains Involved in Larceny
  9.  The Merrymen - Especially if the villain's name is Robin the Hood (a arrow based supervillain - Might have to use this... )
  10. Realistic Opponents of Banks, Businesses, Enterprises, and Righteous Supers.

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2022 at 2:19 PM, Riposte said:

Hello everyone,

I need a good name for a kind of mafia created and controlled by supervillain. Tired of fighting heros in bad world's conquest plan, they decided to organised the mundane crime such as vice, drugs, weapons dealing, racket....

They have customs, tradition, rules.... but... i dont have a name.

Any suggestion?

Make it something to do with the origin of the group. 

Like if they're coming from a working class blue collar background, make it something like the Hardhat Union.

If they're traditional Italian mafia, name them after their don, like Stephano's Men.

Or make it originating from their part of the city like if they're primarily based in Fisherman's Wharf, call them the Wharfers.

Or based around the name or background for the founding supervillain.

Use something where they use the first part of a longer phrase to identify themselves.  So, you could use something like The Foundation for Social Justice as the full name.  But when they Say “The Foundation” with an emphasis on the “The” it takes on additional meaning to those who understand it.  It also gives them some cover when overheard or recorded.  

The Purple Gang, also known as the Sugar House Gang, was a criminal mob of bootleggers and hijackers comprised predominantly of Jewish gangsters. They operated in Detroit, Michigan, during the 1920s of the Prohibition era and came to be Detroit's dominant criminal gang. Excessive violence and infighting caused the gang to destroy itself in the 1930s.

There are various theories as to the origin of the name "Purple Gang". One version says that a member of the gang was a boxer who wore purple shorts during his bouts. Another was that the name came from a conversation between two shop keepers:

"These boys are not like other children of their age, they're tainted, off color."
"Yes," replied the other shopkeeper. "They're rotten, purple like the color of bad meat, they're a Purple Gang."