I need a name for my supervillain mafia

Riposte

How about "The Sinister Syndicate"? This name plays on the idea of a criminal organization and includes the word "sinister," which implies something evil or threatening. It also has a nice ring to it and is easy to remember. Alternatively, you could consider "The Villain's Vices" or "The Malevolent Mob" for a similar effect.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Stacked Deck" suddenly came to mind. Some criminals IRL use codenames while committing crimes, so they could name each other after card games - "Canasta" for a bully, "Texas Hold 'Em" for a Southwestern lecher, "Gin Rummy" for a guy who can hold his liquor, "Buck Euchre" for a Midwestern guy, etc. A woman in the group will no doubt get some sort of sexist name - "Strip Poker", for example. (These are villains, after all.) The supervillain running the organization might very well change his or her own name to match them, but still align with their power or ability set.

" 'Contract Bridge' doesn't sound like much of a supervillain name, Defender."

"Yeah, you've never had him land on you. He's five hundred feet long when fully grown, and weighs in excess of 10,000 tons."

I like mundane names that sound innocuous but, if you know, it really isn't.  I have been racking my brain for something topical and the best I can manage is the Street Sweepers.  🙂  I went through all kinds of combinations but too many of them ended up sounding a bit too local government-y (and not in a good way).

I am like Doc:

The Delaney Street Union.

Southside Plumbing

The Mechanics

The Club

That sort of thing.  I feel that most criminal organizations would find themselves inviting a lot of unwelcome extra scrutiny with names like Evil Deeds LLC or Antagonists R Us or Conquerors Worldwide.

The most successful criminal empire I ever had going in a cyber campaign was run by "King" James Posey.  The referred to themselves casually as "the Florists."

11 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I like mundane names that sound innocuous but, if you know, it really isn't.  I have been racking my brain for something topical and the best I can manage is the Street Sweepers.  🙂  I went through all kinds of combinations but too many of them ended up sounding a bit too local government-y (and not in a good way).

oh! oh! the Road Crew

Standard Oil  :straight:

Consolidated Acquisitions

Atlantean Capital Enterprises ("ACE")

General Metaphysics

Actionable Information Logistics

Quantum Luchredynamics

... a common theme here being that criminal activity is becoming S.O.P. in corporate activity

The Guys from the Office.

This one stems from the Florists (ha!  I kill me!  Someone else missed the chance) in that they were always mindful of bugs ans live ears, so they spoke in code.  When one got a call from King, and was passing on orders or information:  "the office called.  They say we are missing too many opportunities.  We should study what we have found, put together  a fresh team, and really sell the offer.  Maybe a do-over is the key."  Or "they don't think we've got what it takes.  They are sending a supervisor."  Or "three dozen long stems for [address, sometimes name and a dress]."

"Three dozen?  Is it date night or something?"

"Yeah, I think this guy _really_ hopes to take her out..."

Super simple stuff, but as much as the PC teams would develop codespeak, it almost always flew over their heads.

There are questions I have. 1. Is this gang metropolitan? Is it confined to a single city? 2. Is it regional? The Medellin Cartel started as a regional and expanded eventually to global. 3. Is it national? The bigger it gets the more elaborate and pompous it is. 4. Does it span a continent? Bigger, bigger. 5. Is it global? Either everybody knows about them or nobody. Smersh was global but only national police or intelligence agencies knew about them. For me I like names that lull the public into a belief that the bad guys are actually the good guys and if the villian's do a bit of Robin Hooding then they (the public) will protect and defend you. Thus THE DEFENDERS. 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, Cancer said:

Standard Oil  :straight:

Consolidated Acquisitions

Atlantean Capital Enterprises ("ACE")

General Metaphysics

Actionable Information Logistics

Quantum Luchredynamics

... a common theme here being that criminal activity is becoming S.O.P. in corporate activity

In the Dark Champions campaign one of my friends ran, the super-crime syncidate called itself "Human Resources."

Dean Shomshak

• 3 weeks later...