One Has To Go

Starlord

If you live in North America, it's almost impossible to eliminate corn from your diet. As previously alluded to, the main sugar they put in everything these days is corn-based.

There's a stable isotope laboratory on the campus of my alma mater. Because of the subtle differences in the way corn / maize plants metabolize carbon (or maybe it's oxygen, I forget which), you can perform isotopic analysis on an organic sample and determine whether its sugar came from corn, sugar cane, or sugar beets (which are not widely used in the United States anymore).

One of the more remarkable cases they told us about at that lab was analysis of honey imported into Europe. They wanted to determine whether they were getting pure honey as advertised, or whether it was being adulterated with high fructose corn syrup, which is a lot cheaper. It was Archimedes and the Golden Crown all over again.

14 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

It's because it's subsidized, making it far, _far_ cheaper to use for things that it really shouldn't be-- like a sweetener consisting of half of a sugar that builds up in your liver rather than metabolizing properly.

Corn is subsidized because Iowa is a Presidential Primary state.  And because the voting blocks and lobbying groups the Midwest states represent make sure that’s the way the Govt. spending goes.

Robert Heinlein said “Anytime you ask “why is something like that” the answer is always...money.”

9 minutes ago, Pariah said:

My Dad said there are two things to keep in mind when listening to politicians:

1. No matter what they're telling you, they're not telling you the whole story 

2. No matter what they're talking about, they're talking about money. 

That has been obvious, really, since 1935; so 87 years now. 

58 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I simplified the quote because I didn’t feel like typing the whole thing out.  I forgot to take the pain in the a$$ factor around here into account.

You get like that when you teach for a living.  Worse, you revel in it.