First Commercial Gauss Rifle

Scott Ruggels

11 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Big as a surboard as you'd expect and slow to charge, but cool anyway.  75m/s  isn't very huge muzzle velocity yet and a 20 ounce payload isn't very impressive.  There's also probably some cubing effect of power to weight that's limiting its payload.

Listening to the video, the manufacturers are confident in the battery technnology. THe problem, they say, is the capacitors, and that technology is not as advanced. As Ian says, it's a 1903 Wright Flyer, in terms of the techy, but they expect Capacito0r technology to improve that that will increase the muzzle velocity in future iterations of the weapon.  Right now it's basically equivalent to a wrist rocket in terms of muzzle energy, but will improve with time.

Here is the "on the range" video, of the gauss gun, firing out in the desert near Tucson (after a lengthy technical explanation.)

Interesting to note, that I , myself, can never own own or operate this device, as I have a pacemaker, and the energy dump into the coils generates 5 times the magnetic field of an MRI machine, and would, to put it delicately, cause problems. So I guess I will stick with powder activated slug throwers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
53 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Rapidly paced development. It'll be interesting to see where they stand in a decade.

Yes, that has been since February.  So around a 6 month Development cycle.

Still, the Muzzle Velocity is in a Paintball range, but the use of commercial Batteries out to 300 shots, to me says that the bottleneck isn't in the batteries, but still in the Capacitors.

5 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Yes, that has been since February.  So around a 6 month Development cycle.

Still, the Muzzle Velocity is in a Paintball range, but the use of commercial Batteries out to 300 shots, to me says that the bottleneck isn't in the batteries, but still in the Capacitors.

Accuracy is also a problem, since the projectile isn't stabilized in any way.