Gods redone

Mr. R

I was bouncing ideas for my campaign with a friend and he looked at the list of gods and made some suggestions, mostly that between the gods of Order and Chaos there will be some who are Neutral (sort of reminisiant of Dragon Lance or Turakian Age)  But he agreed not to go good/neutral/evil.

So I present to you my new modified list and ask for any suggestion / recommendations

Gods of Order

God of Commerce: Also the traveler, the explorer, of keeping your word, oaths (for good or ill). The god of the legal cheat. The collector, the god of wonder and exuberance! Master of language. (any other ideas?) thieves? generosity, the potlatch? Alcohol (deal over drinks), Celebrations (buying drinks)

God of Justice: The balancer, the god of just endings. God of vengeance. the god of honour, (any other ideas?) Feuds? Perseverance? Retribution

Goddess of Earth: Mistress of Agriculture. Lady of Seasons. Birth, death and milestones. Queen of the Forest/Jungle. The herbalist / poisoner. (any other ideas?)

God of Knowledge, learning

God of Wisdom

(New gods here of Knowledge  and of Wisdom.  Idea that they need not be synonymous.  Any ideas to flesh either of them out?)

Gods of Neutrality

God of the Sky: Lord of the sun. The one who gives warmth. The drought lord. Mountains (any other ideas?), the god of investigators [brought to the light of day],

Goddess of the Night Sky: Lady of the Stars, the navigator, Patroness of sailors, desert travelers. The night predator. romance. (any other ideas?) Poetry, beauty

Lord of Storms, the rain bringer, Thunderer, Destroyer, Renewer, 

Pestilence, Purges, sickness, HMMM Really stuck here, Maybe healing? Hospitals? Healers

(Whole list is basically old gods moved to a new list.  Only real change is god of pestilence is also god of healers)

Gods of Chaos

The Lady of Luck/Trickery, the queen of chance, the thrill seeker, the one who brings down the mighty, fortune favours the bold 

War God. Blood, suffering, tactics, logistics 

Fire Lord Heat, hearth, cooking, freedom, chaos, Forges

(Nothing new here, but can anyone suggest a fourth deity that encapsulates chaos for good and ill?)

Some random thoughts:

I wouldn't classify a god of the hearth or forge as a God of Chaos. Forges are used to build tools to create order out of chaos. Hearth is generally a symbol of home and stability and safety. 

Lady of the Seasons feels to me like a Neutral Goodness, rather then one of Order (the constant change of the seasons seems neutral to me, rather then always one ordered thing. although i can see the argument for order as well, since it is a repeating, unchanging cycle)

I'd maybe put "healing/hospitals" under gods of knowledge. People get sick, that is natural (and thus neutral) but knowing how to heal has to be learned and studied, so fits under god of knowledge to me. Now maybe their is a Neutral god of stamina/health (which covers the bodies own natural healing abilities). 

Tactics and logistics shouldn't be under a chaos/war god, but rather a learning/knowledge god in my opinion. 

Might have a god of communication/diplomacy as an Order God 

can anyone suggest a fourth deity that encapsulates chaos for good and ill?

It wouldn't be a Chaos god, but a god of learning/growing from mistakes, evolving from chaos, overcoming adversity, might be a wisdom god 

Gods of Order

God of Commerce: Also the traveler, the explorer, of keeping your word, oaths (for good or ill). The god of the legal cheat. The collector, the god of wonder and exuberance! Master of language. (any other ideas?)

God of Justice: The balancer, the god of just endings. God of vengeance. the god of honour, (any other ideas?) Feuds? Perseverance? Retribution

Goddess of Earth: Mistress of Agriculture. Lady of Seasons. Birth, death and milestones. Queen of the Forest/Jungle. The herbalist / poisoner. (any other ideas?)

God of Knowledge, learning, tactics, logistics, Healers, cooking

(Added to the god of Knowledge)

Gods of Neutrality

God of the Sky: Lord of the sun. The one who gives warmth. The drought lord. Mountains (any other ideas?), 

Goddess of the Night Sky: Lady of the Stars, the navigator, Patroness of sailors, desert travelers. The night predator. romance. (any other ideas?) Poetry, beauty

Lord of Storms, the rain bringer, Thunderer, Destroyer, Renewer, 

Pestilence, Purges, sickness, 

(Moved healing to God of learning)

Gods of Chaos

The Lady of Luck/Trickery, the queen of chance, the thrill seeker, the one who brings down the mighty, fortune favours the bold 

War God. Blood, suffering, 

Fire Lord  Heat, chaos, Uncontrolled fire, 

Revelry thieves, generosity, the potlatch, Alcohol, Celebrations

(Made War God more the blood suffering type.  Fire Lord is now fire uncontrolled as well as the heat provider.  Added a God of Revelry, sort of god of good times, wine, celebrations, bards [and thieves])

I’d say rather than “War” make it a god of wrath. One aspect is war, but do is logistics, and planning and decent and discipline. The god of wrath is much more chaotic, and would incorporate war, but also revenge anger, cruelty, and such and would be in opposition to the god of justice. 

10 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I’d say rather than “War” make it a god of wrath. One aspect is war, but do is logistics, and planning and decent and discipline. The god of wrath is much more chaotic, and would incorporate war, but also revenge anger, cruelty, and such and would be in opposition to the god of justice. 

Consider it modified!

On 3/31/2022 at 12:25 AM, Scott Ruggels said:

Argument for a God of War being a God of Order

"Know thyself, know your enemy and know the terrain on which the battle will be fought and in 100 battles you will never lose" - Sun Tzu The Art of War

Argument for a God of War being a God of Chaos

"No Plan of Battle ever survives the first shot" - Clausewitz - widely regarded as the preeminent scholar on all things War related in the West

PS:  Clausewitz did not look at war are about wrath but rather felt war needed to be fought the most efficiently and tactful in order to end the war as quickly as possible.  So both arguments here would follow under Logistics