How to recreate the Super Tough Body power from the Champions 6E Brick Defense power set?

Dravencour

So I am creating a flying brick in Hero Designer. I've got Characteristics and Skills pretty much squared away, but am hitting a wall in regards to powers. Now, the power that I'm wanting to recreate in Hero Designer is listed as follows on Page 252 of Champions 6th Edition:

25   Super Tough Body: Resistant (+1/2) for 25 PD/25 ED

Now, both of my flying brick's regular defenses come out to 28 PD/28 ED, and I'm wanting to convert 25 of those points to resistant defense without adding extra to the normal PD and ED.

The main problem I'm facing is that Characteristics as Powers (which is what this would be defined as) only seem to allow one characteristic to be bought at a time in the program, and buying the thing as a Compound Power looks weird as hell in the program, looking something like this:

Super Tough Body: (Total: 28 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost) Resistant (+1/2) (14 Active Points) applied to PD (Real Cost: 14) plus Resistant (+1/2) (14 Active Points) applied to ED (Real Cost: 14)

So how would one go about doing this in Hero Designer?

apply to two Characteristics: buy it as up to 50 active points of PD/ED.

show up in Characteristics: you don't as the rules currently stand. You can either:

1. make note of the fact that the character has 25 rPD / 25 rED purchased as a Naked Advantage
  2. make the entirety of the Character's PD/ED Resistant (i.e. 28 rPD/28 rED) buy purchasing +0 PD and applying Resistant to the base Characteristic (likewise for ED)
  3. get Steve Long to create a new rule which allows for either Naked Advantages to be considered Inherent when purchased for Characteristics or for Characteristic Powers to apply their Modifiers to only part of the base Characteristic.  

If you go the latter route, the likelihood of HD being modified to accommodate would depend on the relative complexity and applicability of the new rule.

A different approach would be to sell off all PD/ED on the Characteristics tab except for what you want to be non-Resistant.  Purchase the 25 PD and 25 ED as Characteristic Powers with Resistant applied.

I chose Option 2 for the character in question -- Flying Bricks that are nigh-invulnerable usually have nearly all to all of their defense Resistant anyway. Because Hero Designer doesn't allow for two Characteristics to be used at once without monkeying with Compound Powers (see OP above), I had to buy both of the Characteristics in question separately.

Thank you.

Edited by Dravencour

13 minutes ago, Dravencour said:

I chose Option 2 for the character in question -- Flying Bricks that are nigh-invulnerable usually have nearly all to all of their defense Resistant anyway. Because Hero Designer doesn't the rules of the system don't allow for two Characteristics to be used at once without monkeying with Compound Powers (see OP above), I had to buy both of the Characteristics in question separately.

Thank you.

FTFY

I should point out that the original ability that you cited was created as a Compound Power, with the display/text modified.  At the time, Steve didn't want that modification to be anything official, just a shortcut for appearance on that singular writeup.

If the Compound Power text bothers you, you can always edit it to your liking, though that will typically preclude any automatic updates to the text when the underlying power construction changes (e.g. if you increased the amount of protection offered).