World Cup 2022

Cancer

Most of the qualifying is done, and the group stage draw happened today.

Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands

Group B: England, Iran, USA, one of (Wales, Scotland, Ukraine)

Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland

Group D: France, one of (Peru, Australia, United Arab Emirates), Denmark, Tunisia

Group E: Spain, one of (Costa Rica, New Zealand), Germany, Japan

Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia

Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon

Group H: Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, South Korea

World Cup in Qatar happens in November and December later this year.

For my fellow countrymen who pay no attention to soccer, the last World Cup was in Russia in 2018.  The winner was France, runner-up Croatia, 3rd and 4th were Belgium and England respectively.  USA did not qualify for that tournament.

• Cancer changed the title to World Cup 2022

Netherlands will qualify from Group A

England from Group B

Argentina should qualify from C

France and Denmark from D

Spain and Germany from E

Belgium from F and based on last time Croatia

Brazil from G

Portugal from H

Europe have been the Champions since 2006 so South America have a point to make. Brazil were champions in 2002 so..... 

I missed the 1974 World Cup entirely.  As a family we took a trip down to California, mostly to see extended family, right after my high school graduation, and on the day before we were supposed to start heading back my grandfather was killed in a tractor accident.  I spent the next month (which included the entirety of the tournament) out of TV range helping move my grandmother out of the house on the ranch and back into town.

19 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I remember the papers going on about the qualifying for 74. I do not recall the tournament at all. 78 I recall as England were again not present but Scotland were. Argentina won and were very good. This was 4 years before the Falklands War 

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Okay, here's the thing I can't wrap my head around: The USA secured its spot by losing to Costa Rica, who may not even end up in the World Cup. Costa Rica? Really?

I mean, we have 330 million people in this country. We can't find 11 guys who play soccer better than Costa Rica's best 11 guys?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Okay, here's the thing I can't wrap my head around: The USA secured its spot by losing to Costa Rica, who may not even end up in the World Cup. Costa Rica? Really?

I mean, we have 330 million people in this country. We can't find 11 guys who play soccer better than Costa Rica's best 11 guys?

Need more context here.  USA went into the match with a 3-league-point lead on Costa Rica (3 LPs for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss).  So if Costa Rica won over USA (which they did) the two would be tied on LPs.  The next criterion is goal differential (or maybe raw goals scored; I forget which).  The US had a huge lead over Costa Rica in that department.  In order to overtake USA in that criterion, Costa Rica would have needed to win by 6 goals or more.  They only won by 2, so they finish behind USA in the final standings.  The top 3 teams from CONCACAF go to the World Cup automatically.  The #4 team (which is Costa Rica) have the equivalent of an NCAA "play-in" against the champions of Oceania (who are New Zealand), and the winner of that goes to the World Cup also.  Costa Rica is a solid favorite over New Zealand for that, which will occur in mid-June.

Because a forfeit is used as a 3-0 loss in FIFA, there were serious suggestions that USA simply forfeit the match to dodge possible injuries (CONCACAF is a brutal place to play with lots of fouls); USA would still have advanced to the WC had they done that.

• 2 months later...

Just saw that in today's LA Times. Along with SoFi Stadium in Inglewood

2026 World Cup host cities
Atlanta

Boston

Dallas

Guadalajara, Mexico

Houston

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Mexico City

Miami

Monterrey, Mexico

New York / New Jersey

Philadelphia

San Francisco

Seattle

Toronto, Canada

Vancouver, Canada

• 4 months later...

Rousing the slumbering thread back to life as the games loom up a week away...

First match in World Cup 2022 is a week from tomorrow: On Nov 20, host Qatar plays Ecuador, in a Group A match, at 8AM Pacific Standard..

The following day all of Group B plays:  England vs Iran (at 5AM Pacific Standard), and USA vs Wales (at 11 AM Pacific Standard).  (Also group A's other match, Senegal vs Netherlands, at 8AM Pacific Standard.)

Rather to my surprise, supposedly most of the matches are being carried by Telemundo (Spanish-language network), which started being carried over free local broadcast ("rabbit ears") here only a few months ago.  I've been watching Spanish-language networks for futbol for a long time, so this comes as a significant happy surprise for me.  Of course, I have my work duties three or four days a week until Dec 8 or so, but the situation is looking far more favorable than I expected a year ago.

I look forward to updates and discussions of the upcoming tournament, but I intend to watch precisely none of it. The fact that FIFA gave an event of this caliber to Qatar demonstrates the depth of their corruption, and they're not getting any of my money or screen time.

YMMV, of course.