World Cup 2022

Cancer

In the opening match, Ecuador 2 - Qatar 0.  It wasn't as close as that, though Qatar wasn't totally outclassed, just badly outclassed. 

Three matches tomorrow, including USA - Wales and England - Iran.

Canada's first match is Wednesday against Belgium, a decidedly tough opponent.

I'm more curious about the finances than the football. I am even angrier about this Cup than most of the posters here. Qatar was a terrible choice for host nation, money in FIFA voters' pockets not withstanding.

But what has that meant for the ad revenue in markets like the United States. A sport without interruptions of play simply to accommodate TV commercials sounds like a tough enough sell. Of course, there are fans who might not care at all -- which I find distasteful. And what will this do to Qatar's stability when the new arenas lose money and end up with no local occupants. Does Qatar even have a top-flight leaguer?

Seriously -- is there a league in Qatar that can use these arenas?

As I recall, there wasn't a top flight league in the US when we hosted the cup in '94. NASL was long dead, and MLS would come along a couple of years later.

But the United States has/had infrastructure that Qatar simply does not. All of the games in the '94 World cup were played in existing stadiums. There wasn't a lot of new construction required. Qatar has pretty much had to build everything from scratch, and used indentured servitude to accomplish most of it.

And very likely...like many facilities built for the Olympics...they'll sit idle once the event's over.

A league in Qatar?  The whole country has less than 3 million people.  It probably covers less ground than the Los Angeles metro statistical area;  it's smaller than Connecticut, altho bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

38 minutes ago, Pariah said:

From Uni-Watch: "FIFA absurdity rose to a new level Monday, when they ordered Belgium to remove the word “Love” from the inside collar of their jerseys."

It's official: there is no love in Qatar. 

58 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

750-1 underdog Saudi Arabia beats Argentina.

And I'm sure it was totally legit.