World Cup 2022

Cancer

Not World Cup per se, but hey, soccer.

As pretty much assumed, Ronaldo and Man U have agreed to terminate his contract, effective immediately.

In WC news...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/wales-wal/story/4809845/wales-condemn-removal-of-fans-rainbow-bucket-hats-before-usa-game

Not even a week in, and the ugliness just keeps on piling up.  

11 hours ago, death tribble said:

Tomorrow Germany, Belgium and Spain should win. With ease.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Yeah, though that won't stop me from rooting for Canada and Costa Rica.

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

That's likely what Argentina thought when they played Saudi Arabia.

Very true but after what happened to Argentina the others will be on their guard.

Upsets do happen. The USA were not supposed to beat England in the one of the 1950s World Cups but did.

I watched the Spain-Costa Rica game through the first two goals and decided that a final score near 6-0 was in the offiing.  I was correct.  Costa Rica had nothing like an adequate defense.

(Then it was off to the clinic for wife's chemotherapy.)

I only saw stoppage time on Belgium-Canada.  Pity that Canada could not get a result.

USA - England coming Friday.

Portugal beat Ghana 3-2 in a match I missed almost entirely.

Brazil overcame Serbia 2-0, in a much closer match than the score suggests.  I flat-out believe that Brazil was gifted a few calls.  The first goal was a rebound off the keeper pushed home by the striker lurking in back; not much to that one.  Second goal was much more worthy.

20 hours ago, Cancer said:

Portugal beat Ghana 3-2 in a match I missed almost entirely.

Brazil overcame Serbia 2-0, in a much closer match than the score suggests.  I flat-out believe that Brazil was gifted a few calls.  The first goal was a rebound off the keeper pushed home by the striker lurking in back; not much to that one.  Second goal was much more worthy.

My brother and I were both joking that Portugal and Brazil could also compete in the synchronized diving events. I missed the portugal game, but according to him, Renaldo should be given an oscar for the dive that got him the PK.

Netherlands and Ecuador play to a 1-1 draw.  Very even match for most of it.  I think the Dutch after scoring early (minute 6) got into a defending mentality that cost them opportunities in the first half.  Ecuador looked better for most of the 2nd half, but could not do more than equalize.