World Cup 2022

Cancer

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Mum was on the computer so I did not post anything sooner. 0-0 is better for the US than for England. But it will cheer the Welsh and Scots up.

Lessee...US/Iran.  US wins, Iran drops to 1-0-2, with at least -3 goal differential.  Iran is out, as US and England have more points.  England loses to Wales, they both go to 1-1-1.  England is +4, Wales is -2, so Wales has to win by 3 to move to next tie break.  

US/Iran tie.  US is out;  Iran and England have 4 points.  Wales beats England, they're also 1-1-1.  They must be better than -2 on differential, so they beat out Iran.  As above, they probably don't beat England on the tie breaker.

Iran beats US.  US is out, obviously;  Iran is in.  England is in as the #1 seed from the group with a win;  #2 seed with a tie or close loss, per above.

So...yeah, ok.  Had the US lost, England is in with 2 wins...but they're probably in.  US has to beat Iran in either scenario, but if Wales beats England, it might come down to goal differential, US vs. Wales.

Poland defeat Saudi Arabia 2-0 in a very tense match, until a terrible defensive mistake in the Saudis' back line let Robert Lewandowski score Poland's 2nd goal late in the match.

Mexico - Argentina later today is getting top billing on Telemundo.

17 hours ago, Cancer said:

They must defeat Iran to advance, I think; a third draw will mean they come home.  (I am assuming England will defeat Wales here.)

You know, the thought of two nations who have been on the brink of war for forty damn years facing off on a soccer pitch is the one hopeful thing to come out of this dumpster fire of an event. 

17 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Lessee...US/Iran.  US wins, Iran drops to 1-0-2, with at least -3 goal differential.  Iran is out, as US and England have more points.  England loses to Wales, they both go to 1-1-1.  England is +4, Wales is -2, so Wales has to win by 3 to move to next tie break.  

US/Iran tie.  US is out;  Iran and England have 4 points.  Wales beats England, they're also 1-1-1.  They must be better than -2 on differential, so they beat out Iran.  As above, they probably don't beat England on the tie breaker.

Iran beats US.  US is out, obviously;  Iran is in.  England is in as the #1 seed from the group with a win;  #2 seed with a tie or close loss, per above.

So...yeah, ok.  Had the US lost, England is in with 2 wins...but they're probably in.  US has to beat Iran in either scenario, but if Wales beats England, it might come down to goal differential, US vs. Wales.

USA has to find a way to score. For the last 20 minutes of the first half and first 20 of the second half they had England playing with dead legs, as the youth of USA (3rd youngest team in tournament) wore them out, but they could not put a ball in the net. I think both teams should feel lucky to have tied 0-0, though USA probably feels better about it.

there is no scenario where comes down to goal differential between Wales and US. US has 2 points, Wales 1. each win, USA 5 points, Wales 4 (tieing them with England).

Going into final round;

England 4 pts GD +4

Iran 3 pts GD -2

US 2 pts GD 0

Wales 1 pt GD -2

Working the scenarios - US/IRAN:  winner goes through, Loser out; Tie means Iran possibly in, USA out

England/Wales: England win or tie, England in, Wales out; Wales win by less then 4(?), England in, Wales in if Iran ties, else out. Wales win by more then 4, England out, regardless of other game on GD.

Wales will be without their top goalie.

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

Argentina needed this.

And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired
They are illusions, they're not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you, and hope you love me
Don't cry for me, Argentina

Lionel Messi's Lament....?

Costa Rica downed Japan 1-0 in a game I did not see.

Morocco stun Belgium 2-0.  First goal was IMO a goalkeeper mistake (and at least a mistake in the setpiece defense) (and I say this as someone who played goalkeeper and made that mistake in a match once); it was a free kick that went in untouched, curling in around the near post.

Second goal came in stoppage time, everyone on Belgium's side caught forward pressing and longball to two Moroccan attackers.  Again, not great goalkeeper play.

CANADA UP 1-0 OVER CROATIA 90 SECONDS IN!

Equalized in minute 36 with a surgical shot after sloppy defense by the Canadians.

Another defensive lapse and it's 2-1 Croatia.  Ah well.

Final score: 4-1 Croatia.  Oh well.  CONCACAF teams are not faring well this World Cup.

Spain - Germany starts in about 45 minutes.

Cameroon 3 Serbia 3

This was apparently very exciting according to reports. Both teams needing a win, Cameroon go 1-0 up. Then Serbia strike twice in injury time of the first half to go 2-1 up. Then they score in the second half. But Cameroon come back to score twice more leaving it at 3-3.

Ghana just scored a second against Korea. So it is 2-0. But we are still in the first half