Pittsburgh: City of Champions

SCUBA Hero

Breaking this project off from the Fifth Edition Renaissance thread.

Working Title:  Pittsburgh: City of Champions

Purpose:  Provide a setting and campaign book.  With P:CoC and Champions Complete, GMs and players have everything they need to actually run a Champions campaign.  Bring in new players and folks who want a ready-to-run game and campaign, not a toolkit.  Support with future products, if sales support it.

Format:

• Introduction - Explain where all of the toolkit toggles are set (Silver Age, Standard Superheroic characters, power levels, and so on)
  • History
  • Geography and Government
  • Transportation, Media/Arts/Entertainment, Subcultures
  • Police, Emergency Services, Underworld, Superheroes, Supervillany
  • Places of Interest
  • GMs Vault
  • Villains (include an organization and master villain)
  • Adventures
  • Continuing the Campaign

Note that bullet points 2-7 follow the structure of Millenium City and Vibora Bay.  MC clocks in at 135 pages, VB at 157.  Much of the difference in page count is VB's extended GM chapter and adventure seed ideas.  P:CoC would be longer, based on the Introduction and extended Adventures/Campaign sections.  Make the adventure/campaign arc related to why the previous super-team is no longer around and the new PC team has to pick up the mantle.

One concern that I have is that CC only has 64 print copies left in stock, and I don't know if it will be reprinted.  Or possibly I'm an old pencil-and-paper grognard and that's not a big concern, folks today buy the pdfs and, if they want, use PoD or the local copy store for a paper copy.

Funding: Kickstarter.  Based on previous successful Hero System Kickstarter campaigns, rough estimate of $15,000. Start with a nice color cover and minimal B&W interior artwork; stretch goals would add more artwork and then upgrade it to color. Mention (and have) plans for future supplements: more linked adventures, a city development book; also to use Kickstarter.  Maybe have a second adventure arc, linked to the first, at a high enough stretch goal to fund it.

Staff:  Writers. Editor. Proof-reader. Artist(s). Project coordinator.  Mark Rand is providing backgound on Pittsburgh.  Need another writer to do the gamey stuff.  I am neither a writer nor an editor, but I can proof-read and coordinate (I am also qualified to do character write-ups.)

I'm planning on supplying an NPC hero to the project (Lady Heart). Prehaps more if they need it. It all depends on what the campaign book needs.

The spots Lady Heart fills...

* Healing support hero.

* Contact with the mystical world.

* Contact with college/young adult world.

* Protental romantic partner character. Or friendship partner. Depending on story needs.

Will be working on hir when I get off my lazy arsh (sorry SCUBA).

Being 71, almost 72, having bad knees and no car, I’ve compiled a list of  Pittsburgh landmarks.  I have images of some of them on my computer.  This list is, of course, just my opinion.

Mount Washington with Station Square and Gateway Clipper Fleet in the foreground

Mount Washington with the Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnel in the foreground

View exiting the Fort Pitt Tunnel

Point State Park fountain

Gateway Center

PPG Plaza with obelisk dubbed “The Tomb of the Unknown Bowler”

Gulf Tower

Koppers Tower

Fifth Avenue Place

Mellon Square

Omni William Penn Hotel

Kaufmann’s clock at Fifth Avenue and Smithfield Street

PNC Park

Heinz Field

Carnegie Science Center

University of Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning (aka Cathy)

Saint Paul Cathedral

WQED antenna tower

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

Station Square

Waterfront stacks (the Waterfront’s on the site of the United States Steel’s Homestead Works)

Dippy (in front of the Carnegie Institute)

Forbes Field remnants and plaza

Light Up (on the University of Pittsburgh campus between Hillman Library and Posvar Hall)

A Song to Nature (aka The Mary Schenley Memorial Fountain at the entrance to Schenley Park and directly in front of the University of Pittsburgh’s Frick Fine Arts Building)

Ode to Space (in front of the University of Pittsburgh’s David Lawrence Hall)

University of Pittsburgh panthers outside the William Pitt Union, the Petersen Events Center, and Heinz Field

Walking to the Sky (on the Carnegie Mellon University campus outside Warner Hall)

Joy of Life (fountain at Baum Boulevard and South Whitfield Street)

George Westinghouse Memorial in Schenley Park

Edit: The above list is subject to change based on what I can find.

• 2 weeks later...

As a hero 

The Pittsburgh Steelers Cheerleader

I know that the Steelers do not have cheerleaders and she plays this as a running gag. Dressed in black and yellow while operating in the city and white and yellow outside she can appear with or without a football styled helmet. The helmet has a quasi perspex shield which is effective against flash attacks as well as energy blasts and bullets.

She uses martial arts and an insane level of acrobatic and gymnastic skill to fight her opponents and not take an injury. She can name anyone who has played for the team and the results of most games.

She is also resistant to any mind control or illusion which would have her badmouth or insult the team and the city. She does not wear any sort of mask except the helmet but no-one recognises her unless she is fighting crime.

The Steelers keep a quiet eye on her as they are concerned about her going bad. However they also play along with the joke as they say 'she would have been at the game only she was taking a crook to the police for booking and there was a quite a queue'

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

As a hero 

The Pittsburgh Steelers Cheerleader

I know that the Steelers do not have cheerleaders and she plays this as a running gag. Dressed in black and yellow while operating in the city and white and yellow outside she can appear with or without a football styled helmet. The helmet has a quasi perspex shield which is effective against flash attacks as well as energy blasts and bullets.

She uses martial arts and an insane level of acrobatic and gymnastic skill to fight her opponents and not take an injury. She can name anyone who has played for the team and the results of most games.

She is also resistant to any mind control or illusion which would have her badmouth or insult the team and the city. She does not wear any sort of mask except the helmet but no-one recognises her unless she is fighting crime.

The Steelers keep a quiet eye on her as they are concerned about her going bad. However they also play along with the joke as they say 'she would have been at the game only she was taking a crook to the police for booking and there was a quite a queue'

She might even be related to the late Myron Cope.

17 minutes ago, death tribble said:

As someone who is entirely British I had no idea who that was. She might be inspired by him, probably depending on whether you have her as a current hero or one from 1971 to 2000.

Myron was a Pittsburgh area sportscaster long associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Allegheny Valley School which provides care for more than 900 people with intellectual disabilities and physical disabilities, including Cope’s son who has severe autism.

He also created The Terrible Towel, which the school now owns the rights to.

Pittsburgh Area synagogues

Rodef Shalom Congregation is a Reform synagogue located at 4905 Fifth Avenue.

Congregation Beth Shalom is a Conservative synagogue located at 5915 Beacon Street.  This is the highest point in Squirrel Hill.

Shaare Torah Congregation is an Orthodox synagogue located at 2319 Murray Avenue.  The city’s beit din (rabbinical court) meets here.

Bet Tikvah is a non-denominational synagogue located within Rodef Shalom.

Congregation Poale Zedeck is an Orthodox synagogue located at 6318 Phillips Avenue.

Young Peoples Synagogue is an Orthodox synagogue located at 6404 Forbes Avenue.

Young Israel of Pittsburgh is an Orthodox synagogue located at 5831 Bartlett Street.

Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation is a Conservative synagogue located within Rodef Shalom, at 4905 Fifth Avenue, until the building at 5898 Wilkins Ave is rebuilt.

New Light Congregation is a Conservative synagogue located in at 5915 Beacon Street, in Congregation Beth Shalom, until the Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation building it rents space in can be rebuilt.

Baal Shem Tov Shul is an Orthodox synagogue located at 6328 Forbes Avenue.

Beth Hamedrash Hagodol is an Orthodox synagogue located at 810 Fifth Avenue, in Duquesne University.

Temple Sinai is a Reform synagogue located at 5505 Forbes Avenue.

Chabad Lubavitch of Western Pennsylvania is an Orthodox synagogue located at 2100 Wightman Street.

Bnai Emunoh Chabad is an Orthodox synagogue located at 4315 Murray Avenue.

Beth El Congregation-South Hills is a Conservative synagogue located at 1900 Cochran Road.

Temple Emanuel of South Hills is a Reform synagogue located at 1250 Bower Hill Road.

Parkway Jewish Center is a Conservative synagogue located at 300 Princeton Drive.

Temple Ohav Shalom is a Reform synagogue located in Allison Park, PA.

In New American Synagogue is a department of Chabad Lubavitch of Western Pennsylvania located at 2116 Wightman Street.

Adat Shalom is a Conservative synagogue located in Cheswick, PA.

Congregation Dor Hadash is Pittsburgh’s Reconstructionist community.  It is located within Rodef Shalom, at 4905

Fifth Avenue, until the Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation building it rents space in can be rebuilt.

There are also a number of mikvaot, ritual baths, in  Pittsburgh.  The Jewish Women’s League of Pittsburgh Mikvah is located at 1722 Denniston St, Pittsburgh, PA 15217.   The Keilim Mikvah is located at Congregation Poale Zedeck 6318 Phillips Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217.  The Men’s Mikvah Pittsburgh at the Lubavitch Center is located at 2100 Wightman Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15217.  The Mikvah Lubavitch is located at 1 Yeshivah Way Pittsburgh, PA 15217.

Adath Jeshurun Congregation, better known as the “Margaretta Street Shul”, is a former Orthodox synagogue.  The building now houses a church.

Congregation B’nai Israel (the Children of Israel) is a former synagogue.  The synagogue closed in 1995 and the building was later used by the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh Charter School.  In 2021, ground was broken on a new project which will convert the building into apartments.

Edited by Mark Rand
to make corrections

10 hours ago, Mark Rand said:
  • Rodef Shalom Congregation is a Reform synagogue located at 4905 Fifth Avenue.

• Congregation Beth Shalom is a Conservative synagogue located at 5915 Beacon Street.  This is the highest point in Squirrel Hill.

• Shaare Torah Congregation is an Orthodox synagogue located at 2319 Murray Avenue.  The city’s beit din (rabbinical court) meets here.

• Bet Tikvah is located within Rodef Shalom.

• Congregation Poale Zedeck is an Orthodox synagogue located at 6318 Phillips Avenue.

• Young Peoples Synagogue is an Orthodox synagogue located at 6404 Forbes Avenue.

• Young Israel of Pittsburgh is an Orthodox synagogue located at 5831 Bartlett Street.

• Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation is a Conservative synagogue located within Rodef Shalom, at 4905 Fifth Avenue, until the building at 5898 Wilkins Ave is rebuilt.

• New Light Congregation is a Conservative synagogue located in at 5915 Beacon Street, in Congregation Beth Shalom, until the Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation building it rents space in can be rebuilt.

• Baal Shem Tov Shul is an Orthodox synagogue located at 6328 Forbes Avenue.

• Beth Hamedrash Hagodol is an Orthodox synagogue located at 810 Fifth Avenue, in Duquesne University.

• Congregation Kether Torah is located at 5685 Beacon Street.

• Temple Sinai is a Reform synagogue located at 5505 Forbes Avenue.

• Chabad Lubavitch of Western Pennsylvania is an Orthodox synagogue located at 2100 Wightman Street.

• Bnai Emunoh Chabad is an Orthodox synagogue located at 4315 Murray Avenue.

• Beth El Congregation-South Hills is a Conservative synagogue located at 1900 Cochran Road.

• Itkin Joseph is a synagogue located at 2116 Wightman Street.

• Temple Emanuel of South Hills is a Reform synagogue located at 1250 Bower Hill Road.

• Parkway Jewish Center is a synagogue located at 300 Princeton Drive.

• Temple Ohav Shalom is a synagogue located in Allison Park, PA.

• In New American Synagogue is located at 2116 Wightman Street.

• Adat Shalom is a synagogue located in Cheswick, PA.

• Congregation Dor Hadash is Pittsburgh’s Reconstructionist community.  It is located within Rodef Shalom, at 4905 Fifth Avenue, until the Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation building it rents space in can be rebuilt.

There are also a number of mikvaot, ritual baths, in  Pittsburgh.  The Jewish Women’s League of Pittsburgh Mikvah is located at 1722 Denniston St, Pittsburgh, PA 15217.   The Keilim Mikvah is located at Congregation Poale Zedeck 6318 Phillips Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217.  The Men’s Mikvah Pittsburgh at the Lubavitch Center is located at 2100 Wightman Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15217.  The Mikvah Lubavitch is located at 1 Yeshivah Way Pittsburgh, PA 15217.

It sounds like there should be one major superhero of the Jewish faith, which would certainly add to the city’s distinctive character.

21 minutes ago, Steve said:

It sounds like there should be one major superhero of the Jewish faith, which would certainly add to the city’s distinctive character.

Tabitha Jean Clark, a Conservative Jew, is going to get turned into a magical girl.  I'm not sure what her heroic identity will be, yet.

As it happens, I'm a Conservative Jew, too.  I attended Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation for a number of years.

48 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

Tabitha Jean Clark, a Conservative Jew, is going to get turned into a magical girl.  I'm not sure what her heroic identity will be, yet.

As it happens, I'm a Conservative Jew, too.  I attended Tree of Life * Or L’Simcha Congregation for a number of years.

Perhaps she is a summoner sort rather than a magic blaster or martial artist. She can summon one or more golems who can then fight for her.

Another option could be a magic caster with a Kabbalist theme and one or more relics on her person, I suppose. A tarot deck might be fun as a means of accessing her magical powers.

58 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

It can, but the points of view are limited, and the quality of the images are variable. It's better to go out, and bring a camera and a selection of lenses.

I might be the only Pittsburgh resident on these boards.  Since I'm almost 72, have bad knees, and can't drive, I'm relying on Google Images for good images of landmarks and views. 

A couple of former Pittsburgh synagogues are Adath Jeshurun Congregation, later known as the “Margaretta Street Shul”, and Congregation B’nai Israel (the Children of Israel).

There is, in the game universe, a new B’nai Israel on Wightman Street.  Tabitha and her family worship there.  A Conservative synagogue, like the old one, it’s in an old mansion.  The chapel is the old ballroom.  The old dining room serves as the social hall.

I don't really have anything useful to add, but when I set an adventure in Pittsburgh, just a couple tour guidebooks from my local library convinced me it's an excellent city for supers. Multiple world-class research universities, always reliable sources for characters and scenarios. One of which has the Cathedral of Learning, which is not only a cool setting for a super-scenario, it could also go in the old "Real Locations That Could Be Fantasy" thread. The PPG company HQ, which one guidebook described as resembling Superman's crystalline Fortress of Solitude. At least one of the surrounding mountains is riddled with old coal mines, ready for villains, monsters, or Mole People to inhabit. Cable cars. A histpory combining immense wealth, post-industrial blight with attendant crime, and a dazzling renaissance (but some of the old "bad parts of town" might still be there).

It all worked out really, really well! If that campaign ever re-starts, I may have to send the PCback for another visit.

Dean Shomshak

12 hours ago, Steve said:

Since Pittsburgh is known as Steel City, I think one of its major heroes should be a powered armor sort or have Steel in their name somehow.

Could go for something more generic of a working class hero's outfit or tools like Hardhat Union, Red Welder, Center Punch, Hammer Drill, Chop Saw, Dark Grinder, Lathe Lass, Band Saw, Plasma Arc, Pittsburg Hacksaw, Sledgehammer, etc.

6 hours ago, DShomshak said:

I don't really have anything useful to add, but when I set an adventure in Pittsburgh, just a couple tour guidebooks from my local library convinced me it's an excellent city for supers. Multiple world-class research universities, always reliable sources for characters and scenarios. One of which has the Cathedral of Learning, which is not only a cool setting for a super-scenario, it could also go in the old "Real Locations That Could Be Fantasy" thread. The PPG company HQ, which one guidebook described as resembling Superman's crystalline Fortress of Solitude. At least one of the surrounding mountains is riddled with old coal mines, ready for villains, monsters, or Mole People to inhabit. Cable cars. A histpory combining immense wealth, post-industrial blight with attendant crime, and a dazzling renaissance (but some of the old "bad parts of town" might still be there).

It all worked out really, really well! If that campaign ever re-starts, I may have to send the PCback for another visit.

Dean Shomshak

Yes, the PPG complex does look something like Superman's crystalline Fortress of Solitude and both Pitt and CMU are world-class research universities.  The mountain is, probably, Mount Washington, which was once called Coal Hill.  The cable cars are the two remaining funiculars, the Monongahela Incline and the Duquesne Incline, both of which climb Mount Washington.