2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

In fairness, the Broncos have always been inept where quarterbacks are concerned. The best quarterback ever drafted by the Broncos is arguably Jay Cutler (whom He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named then traded to Chicago for Kyle Orton.)

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

In fairness, the Broncos have always been inept where quarterbacks are concerned. The best quarterback ever drafted by the Broncos is arguably Jay Cutler (whom He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named then traded to Chicago for Kyle Orton.)

For those who don't recall just how *damning* a condemnation that is...

Shanahan was right to replace Plummer with Cutler in '06.  Plummer was a .500 QB at best, at that point.  By the same token, Cutler proved he was unreliable...repeatedly.  Big arm, little brain.  And Orton was just clearing a roster spot;  the Broncos got a pair of first round picks.  Hey, McDaniels was an idiot, on many levels, but I don't have a problem with this move.

A Bronco fan site posted this:

https://predominantlyorange.com/2022/04/12/5-best-quarterbacks-ever-drafted-broncos/

Yeah....bad.   

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

But it is the way it is, too.  A team's peak comes during the time when they've got affordable players who also happen to be good.  When multiple players start cashing in mega-contracts, the depth suffers.  KC has dodged this, to a point...but they've also lost numerous stars.  The Pats managed it because Brady put WINNING as his top priority.  It's not impossible...but with agents so consistently looking to score every penny they can get, it's hard to maintain a peak.

But yeah, I double checked to make sure my fresh bottle of red wine vinegar was still in the cupboard....

So the Mike and Jerry Show play Deflection! by firing 5 assistants...running backs, linebackers, assistant head coach, and offensive and defensive line coaches.

Because it can't be Jerry's fault...and by extension, therefore, Mike's the Right Guy.  (It took HOW long to remove Jason Garrett?)  And of course Dak's just as anointed.

I'm gonna say it now.  I expect next year's team to win fewer games than this year's team.

The Panthers have their new head coach: Frank Reich.

And in an interesting move, the New York Jets have hired Nathaniel Hackett as their offensive coordinator. Which makes me wonder ... there's been recent speculation about Aaron Rodgers leaving the Packers this offseason (like there is every offseason, it seems). Could the J-E-T-S be trying to lure Rodgers to the Meadowlands?

Nah, couldn't be. I mean, who would be stupid enough to hire that guy just because they thought he could draw Rodgers in after him...?

That puts Saleh and Tepper squarely in the crosshairs this fall.  Tepper, for moving away from the coach that turned what looked like a complete tank job into a very respectable run.  Saleh, now, must make the playoffs, and I don't mean scrape by as the last team in.  They probably need to be competitive for the division.  And if Hackett bumbles his way through a couple early season losses?  Saleh could be the first HC to be fired next season.

Carolina's hiring of Frank Reich is drawing some criticism—because it leaves interim head coach Steve Wilks out in the cold

Four teams still need head coaches: Arizona, Indy, Houston, and Denver. None of these teams have interviewed Wilks, because as of yesterday, he was still the (interim) head coach of the Panthers. Will he get interview opportunities with any of those teams? It seems a little late in the cycle, but I suppose it's possible. 

And there's the elephant in the room: Reich is white, and Wilks is black. 

Wilks may have to settle for a DC job for the coming year. Fortunately, there are plenty of those available. 

Yeah, the criticism of the Reich hire over Wilks started when it was announced.  Good point about the fact that the timing squeezed him out of the interview process.  People aren't willing to give NFL owners much benefit of doubt, because their track record is so poor, so the race angle can't be dismissed.

I think we all play the same game that writer's playing with "the next Purdy" speculation.  He somehow convinced his bosses he should be paid for it ith.

In other news:  on the ESPN Bottom Line, Tua's been ruled out of any participation in the Pro Bowl Games.  He's still in the concussion protocol...and it's been almost 5 full weeks now.  That gives at least a bare notion of the degree of injury.

Last:  there is a truly sick rumor floating around social media claiming Damar Hamlin is actually dead.  The original was removed from FB, but the replies are still up.  Most are blasting the rumor;  a few support it.  It also has a bit of traction on other platforms.  It's vile.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2023/01/27/fact-check-false-claim-buffalo-bills-player-damar-hamlin-dead/11126932002/

They have links you can follow to see the FB thread (where the main post has been deleted, but a couple responses continue to assert the point) and an archive of the original.  Really, really disgusting...for me, especially in light of a story from last night, during the UCLA-USC basketball game.  A USC freshman had a heart attack during summer workouts.  Trainers were there immediately.  The good news is...it's taken a great deal of work and CLOSE monitoring, but the kid has made it back to the court.  He's on a minutes restriction, and there's a member of the training staff monitoring his vitals throughout.  Which is really cool;  they interviewed the kid and he gave me a really positive impression.  The comparison to Hamlin was automatic, of course.  And it was a cool story.

Then I see this pinheaded rumor today....

<sigh>  

Well.  As a more positive addendum...Niners to upset Eagles, Chiefs to solve the Bengals for a change.

I traveled to a gaming convention in KC, right after Thanksgiving, so...not generally that deep into winter.  

But it was around 30, gray skies, damp...thoroughly miserably cold.  The gaming was fun, tho.

I was asking the same thing, because the flip side is, the area is hot, sticky, and miserable in the summer too.

How to torpedo your draft prospects....

Despite the 2 titles, Stetson Bennett is projected as around a 3rd round pick by Mel Kiper, no higher.  There are numerous voices thinking even that's too high.

Then, this morning, he gets arrested for public intoxication this morning in Dallas, from the sound of it, a drunk and disorderly situation.

Stetsie.....you got some splainin to dooooooooooooooooooo.............  Especially since he's not a 19 year old kid.  He's 25...and is older than 16 current NFL QBs...including several starters.

Oh dear.

Purdy's wrist gets hit, and probably jammed as well, on the fumble.  He can't go, and is heading back to the locker room.

This game might be over.  4th string QB vs. the Eagles' defense?  TALL order.

EDIT:  and now the NFL's overwhelming aversion to replays kicks in.  "We cannot confirm the ball hit the wire."  Oh, just because it took a hard 45 degree turn in midair, that's not enough???