2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Might become one if the Eagles score after this turnover.

But the point's gonna be whether the Niners can score, say, 10 points in the second half...on offense.  Niners may have to get a scoring turnover or special teams big play, or at least something that sets up the easy score.

Especially now.  Philly runs it in, and now it's 2 TDs.

You know, I've been waiting all postseason for the Eagles to reveal that they're frauds, in much the same way that the Vikings and Giants both did. So far, they have steadfastly refused to do it.

Is it possible that these guys are for real?

One can argue that Lady Luck has been on the Niners' side for weeks.

Today she's showing how fickle she is.  Johnson pulled, apparently by the on-field spotter after a nasty head bang...then going back to the locker room.  Jogging, tho;  that suggests it shouldn't be too bad, but time's getting short.  Purdy trying to throw on the sidelines, but we don't know what he can do.  One would expect the Eagles to crowd the line, figuring to force Purdy to show he can throw a decent, midrange or longer ball.

On the Eagles vs., say, the Vikings.  Stat they dropped earlier:  Eagles were #1 in Time In the Lead stat.  Vikes?  Pulled rabbit after rabbit out late.

Smart defense by KC.  Last week Buffalo tried to just rush 4 against Bengals weakened OL and it didn't work.  Then the Bebgals got ahead and were able to aggressively run the ball on the them.

KC immediately starts out attacking the line by maneuvering their best pass rusher into 1 on 1 matchup against the backup right tackle and have 3 sacks to show for it already.

Assuming no miracle on the kickoff, unfortunate ending, but you have to make the call.  2 steps out of bounds, and the defender gave a full, 2-arm shove.  He could maybe get away with bumping Mahomes on the sideline there, but that 2-hand shove with the runner in the white, is almost ALWAYS called.

And....pitchy pitchy woo woo doesn't work, but it almost never does...

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Elsewhere, just saw:  Dallas fires Kellen Moore.  So that's 6 coaches gone...just not the one that matters the most.

Even the one that matters most won't make any difference. That team is not going to show noticeable improvement until you fire the owner.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Assuming no miracle on the kickoff, unfortunate ending, but you have to make the call.  2 steps out of bounds, and the defender gave a full, 2-arm shove.  He could maybe get away with bumping Mahomes on the sideline there, but that 2-hand shove with the runner in the white, is almost ALWAYS called

Yeah, and you can actually say probably cost them the game. by all reckoning, 8 seconds left and KC would have still been out of FG range with no timeouts. you make sure no catches on sideline and tough to make play and down ball.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

2 steps out of bounds, and the defender gave a full, 2-arm shove.  He could maybe get away with bumping Mahomes on the sideline there, but that 2-hand shove with the runner in the white, is almost ALWAYS called.

... Especially if the person on the receiving end of the shove is one of the faces of the League and is already fighting off an injury. There's no way that doesn't get called.

Having said that, I do feel bad for the guy. He's going to be vilified to an unfair degree, probably for the entire offseason. I can almost taste the vitriol that will be creeping out of sports talk radio shows tomorrow morning. Yes, it was a boneheaded play, but he's already paying the price for that—he has to watch the Super Bowl on TV.

Well for the third-down do-over, they did find a replay of one of the officials in the secondary blowing the play dead. He just wasn't demonstrative enough to make himself seen and heard. The grounding call was a good call. Both eligible receivers who initially stayed in the backfield to block released and were past the line of scrimmage when Burrow threw that ball. And it was an obvious spike with no attempt at a completion while under duress in the pocket.

3 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Well for the third-down do-over, they did find a replay of one of the officials in the secondary blowing the play dead. He just wasn't demonstrative enough to make himself seen and heard. The grounding call was a good call. Both eligible receivers who initially stayed in the backfield to block released and were past the line of scrimmage when Burrow threw that ball. And it was an obvious spike with no attempt at a completion while under duress in the pocket.

There was a face mask on Burrow on that play that wasn't called.  And multiple missed holding calls on KC on that last drive...during the punt return and during Mahomes scramble.  That's all I will say, too angry about the whole thing right now.  Believe it or not I think I'm pretty fair about officiating most times...the wife actually gets angry with me cuz I'm defending calls...but the Bengals were robbed.

I've seen a few serious criticisms of the refereeing across the board this season.

Don't have ESPN+ so can only read the intro, but Barnwell makes a point that I think is almost completely unappreciated.  He criticizes Reid for the catch-no catch challenge in the 1st.  The point that losing a challenge SO early, creates a serious tactical limitation, is what's lost.  You need to be VERY judicious challenging any play early on.  There has to be high confidence you'll win...there was time to check replays, there was time to check with the receiver, so this is questionable.  The play has to be worth it.  Here?  It would've been, what, 1st and goal?  Or at least well into the red zone.  Not a scoring play, tho.  I'd call it medium-important.  So we've seen worse replay flags thrown, and later on, this might be OK.  Not in the 1st quarter, IMO.