2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Eh, the State Farm ads aren't all that bad.  There's lots worse out there.  I will grant, the recent Mahomes ads are on the wrong side there.  (But even the "i've never washed Patrick's practice jersey" isn't as bad as Prudential's TV dad ads.)  And hey, just think...Super Bowl ads are fast approaching.  Altho the last few years haven't seen anything awesome, that I can remember.  (Did you know...a 30 second Super Bowl spot this year will set you back a cool $7M.)

The Brock Purdy injury is a complete tear.  That's severe, that's got the longest, and I believe trickiest, recovery.  It may require a complete replacement, not a reconstruction.  That's Tommy John surgery.  That's 12-18 months, not 9.  This makes the Niners' QB situation even more tumultuous.  There's a VERY good chance Purdy will miss the entire season;  from what I'm reading, that's the basis I'd use for planning out my roster moves.  If I want Lance to be my #1...I still seemingly have to keep Jimmy G as a backup.  If he's willing.

There's also blather about Brady signing, but for now, that's just the usual clickbait as far as I'm concerned.

There's at least one site that has a bunch of teasers for the upcoming ads.  None look particularly compelling, but we'll see.  Beer and snack food ads appear to dominate, but that's not new.  One looks particularly cringe-worthy...it's Ozzy Osbourne in a Workday ad.  Ehhh.......  If you're curious:

https://people.com/tv/super-bowl-2023-commercials/

Also getting the Eli/Victor Cruz/Bettis/Bradshaw Super Bowl Road trip ads again, and the Peyton/Eli Pepsi/Fritos ads.  I'm completely sick of Peyton as a pitchman;  he's been greatly overused (and he's a bad pitchman, IMO)  And those ads were kinda funny last year, but the novelty wore out long before they stopped being shown.   

And I see that the Broncos have decided yet again that they're going to try to solve the franchise's problem by throwing money and high draft picks at somebody. 

But hey, it couldn't possibly go disastrously wrong in two different seasons, now could it?

I'm interested to see who he will select as his coordinators. If he could keep Ejiro Evero in place for another year or two, I feel like that would give the defense some consistency, at least.

Meanwhile, I think the Broncos' first pick in the Draft this spring now comes in the third round. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Hobby Lobby-sponsored "He Gets Us" ads will pick up the slack.

Not entirely, but there are 2 of them scheduled, apparently.  Also, it appears it's not Hobby Lobby, but the CEO is a significant donor to the group running them. It's a broader coalition.

Hopefully it'll be bathroom break time for me when those air....

Going back to football...I am surprised Payton's going to Denver.  The first round pick is at least LATE 3rd...it's the Niners' pick.  They'll be, what, 29th or 30th.  Still, it means no 1st or 2nd round pick.  Unless they really think they don't need serious pieces...or that Payton may be enough to draw free agents...their overall talent level isn't going to improve.

I'm not wild about the move;  but it might be the best option they had, given the Wilson contract.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Going back to football...I am surprised Payton's going to Denver.  The first round pick is at least LATE 3rd...it's the Niners' pick.  They'll be, what, 29th or 30th.  Still, it means no 1st or 2nd round pick.  Unless they really think they don't need serious pieces...or that Payton may be enough to draw free agents...their overall talent level isn't going to improve.

I'm not wild about the move;  but it might be the best option they had, given the Wilson contract.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that Denver pulled the trigger on Payton after Ryans went to Houston and Harbaugh stayed in Michigan.  That would have left Payton as the only 'established' HC candidate on the market, I think.

I kind of wonder how Payton himself feels about the deal.

On the radio this morning they said that Brady had 25 TDs and 9 INTs this season. Only three QBs had 25+ TD with fewer than 10 INT.*

So, he's still better than a lot of QBs out there, but the Bucs are not the team for him anymore.

The league is starving for good QBs. Someone will back up the dump truck of money to bring him back. 

*One of which was Trevor Lawrence, but not Aaron Rodgers.

An observation about whether Brady is going to un-retire...he and Gisele got divorced in October.  They're doing joint custody, so there will be periods where he's got to be Single Dad to his 3 kids.  Gisele is staying in Miami.  Moving to Vegas, or San Fran, or New York?  That's a MUCH greater PITA.  Going to a new team would also demand a major time commitment, that would now be more onerous.

I don't think he'll change his mind this time, but that's not going to stop the blather until either a) he displaces Greg Olsen as Fox's #1 analyst, or b) we get through too much of the season that it's practical for him to return....call it week 10 at the outside.  (I'd personally say opening day, in terms of joining a new team, but the bloviators will continue longer than that.)