Henchmen for Heroes

dsatow

Henchmen for heroes  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have henchmen for your heroes?

• Yes, but we call them something different than henchmen.
    • No, we have a few sidekicks but not really henchmen.
    • No, but it sounds interesting.

I was just reading Evil Inc., and I was wondering if your heroes have henchmen.  Supervillains have henchmen along with agents.  I have seen superheroes with agents but not henchmen.  Maybe the sidekick fills the roll, but in truth, you usually only see one sidekick per hero while a supervillain can have dozens of henchmen.

Does your superhero group have henchmen style heroes?  More powerful by far than an agent, yet works for the hero?

I did have an idea for a hero and his team of "henchmen"--Colonel Zoom And His Crimefighter Patrol.  One man (Colonel Zoom) in a cape, mask, and big "Z" emblem on his chest followed by anywhere from two to five dozen identically dressed men, sans the cape.  They ran everywhere they went, and although they have no apparent speedster powers, they always catch up with whomever they're chasing.  And they have a bugle call that seems to come from nowhere.

I can't say I've ever done that or had that in any Champs campaign I've been involved with. Contacts and Favors, DNPCs, sure, but not anything that could be described as "henchmen." Not even a Sidekick, come to think of it.

Hero Games' supplement for pulp gaming, The Raven and the Midnight Brigade, offers a team of skilled operatives for the Hero Universe's analogue to the Shadow. They're a good example of how to put together a support team for heroes, although their power level is a little low to be useful in most super-fights.

You'd probably have more luck adapting some of the sundry NPCs in the Champs book, Everyman. Very diverse group with a lot of useful skills that fit pretty well into common superhero worlds.

Now that I think on it, the CW TV super-shows have made a big deal out of henchmen, with their support groups for Green Arrow and the Flash, often referred to, including by themselves, as "Team Arrow" and "Team Flash." They have exceptional skills and are often very combat-capable. Some even have true super-powers.

I think the archetypal Hero Henchman would have to be Alfred Pennyworth.  Not a sidekick because he doesn’t as a rule go into combat but provides an incredible support system for the hero.  Too many useful skills and doesn’t get into enough danger to be a DNPC either