What adventuring is there to do at Ravenswood?

AlgaeNymph

I assume there is, or there couldn't be any campaigns based around it.  So far, what I can think of are:

• Adventures frequently happening in Orchard Lake Orchardsville.  There'd need to be an explanation for that conspicuous implausibility, however.
  • Getting caught up in whatever happens in Millennium City.  Most plausible, but it's weekends-only.  Also not an option in a 90's campaign without a shady means of transport...
  • The students get nosy into the lives of people at school.  Given that Ravenswood is, on the surface, a rich kid's school, there'd probably be a lot of white-collar dirty deeds to look into.  Which I'm into, but am not sure about the rest of you.

So, the rest of you, what ideas do you have?

My thought is that if Ravenswood it too far from Millenium City, just move it closer.  We won't tell.  I will also say that with kids as rich as those at Ravenswood I would expect a lot of "Sweet Sixteen" cars available to bum rides in.  In a highschool game I'd probably let a 16 or older PC buy a normal car with their wealth or a relatively cheap "4 wheeled friend" perk to reflect the beater they got running over the summer.

This question seem familiar.  Didn't you post this exact same thread a year or so ago?  Here was my answer then:

I've been running a Ravenswood game for several years now.  

The way I've been dealing with it is by:

- Getting the kids off campus (Dates, Movies, visiting parks, Music Shows)

- Having adventures come to them (hunteds who know where they live, ex-students with an axe to grind, shennanigans in the science labs & library)

- School Events (Rival Schools, Secret ID drama at the Spring Formal, Field Trips)

- Family (One PC's father is hunted by Viper, another is the son of a Supervillain, several NPCs are the children of Heros)

I've found that you have to get out of the "Mayor calls the PCs on the Red Batphone" type of adventures with teenagers.  I lean into the drama of highschool.  Not only do you want to get the right date for Prom, but she is being wooed by a "nontraditional" student from Von Drotte Academy (aka a mutant from Viper's school for budding supervillains).
We have a whole ongoing plot about the future version of one PC's first girlfriend who keeps attacking the PCs to prevent them from doing all the evil she says they do in the future.

Also: One PC paid points for a fake ID that lets them use Rideshare services to get around town.  It won't help them get to a superfight, but it lets them get to interesting locations.

Having another year under my belt with my Ravenswood game I will add the following:

• Have a couple of the staff be up to something.  Let the PCs find out but make sure they never get hard evidence to prove anything and have the other teachers side with the adults.  Harry Potter kept this up for like 5 books.
  • Adventures in the city should never just be a weekend thing.  Stuff going down on a school night is just the sort of thing that adds time pressure, angst, and drama to a teen heroes life.  "I have to stop the Candyman, but if my RA catches me out past curfew I won't be able to take Wendy to the spring formal!"
  • I've gotten a lot of mileage out of all the other kids at school, normal and powered.  (I try to make a point of having the normal kids matter, it makes the whole "secret ID thing" an actual struggle. 
    • I'm running my game "today" so there is one normal kid who has several times gotten into internet fights with teen supervillians that the PCs had to bail him out of. 
    • The kids themselves are friends, bullies, loaners, etc.  Crack out all that teen drama for some great roleplaying
    • One NPC called his uncle Zorran the Artificer to see if "uncle Z" could fix his mind-controlled girlfriend
    • The kids' parents got that money somewhere & kids have had viper try to kidnap them as hostages against their parents or been drawn into dynastic family stuff
    • There is one kinda OK kid with *really* rich parents that keeps throwing his money around to try to buy a cool and interesting reputation.  His parties keep getting crashed by the super kids from Viper's training school.

21 hours ago, Jhamin said:

This question seem familiar.  Didn't you post this exact same thread a year or so ago?

checks threads

oops...

I'll have to remember to check my threads before posting.  ^_^;

Welp, as least I have more answers to work with.  : )

Also, my sweetheart thought of a good reason to visit the ruins of Detroit (for earlier games): volunteer work.  Wonder why I didn't think of that...?