Powers granted by the gods #1

Mr. R

I posted about divine magic system, now I want some possible spells.  These should not be the mobile artillery that arcane mages are, more buff and sustain types.  Also I am a proponent that differing deities will have differing abilities.

So first up:

God of Commerce: Also the traveler, the explorer, of keeping your word, oaths (for good or ill). The god of the legal cheat. The collector, the god of wonder and exuberance! Master of language. (any other ideas?)

PS feel free to suggest a name for him as well!

Coluinee (usually appears female): This goddess of travel/commerce bestows her blessings upon those desiring fair trade and the betterment of all.

Powers include coercion so that everyone pushes aside greed,  weather manipulation for those wishing happy market, other similar abilities. 

Toubaris, God of Trade , contracts, and commerce. appears as a solid, middle aged man, but with a very mobile face.  The first commandment of Toubaris is to have a goal, then to have a plan, and then work, day by day along to plan, towards your goal.   His Holy Symbol is four coins, from where you took his oath first, arraigned into a diamond shape, with the highest denomination uppermost, worn around the neck. The oath, administered by a priest over the coins empowers it.  The reasons for the coins is to  test one's commitment, as once can keep it as an holy symbol, or one can part the coins off, and spend them.  In extremis, one can part things out, but they will have to make a new symbol within the month, even if they are reduced to digging ditches or cleaning stables. The Symbol has to be remade from local coins once again, and blessed within a moon's cycle. Tavern owners, shop keepers, and traders, are often worshippers of Toubaris, but the worship is often seen amongst larger land owners, horse breeders, and millers. The worship is decidedly middle class, and unless a country is ruled by merchant princes, The nobility may only see their exchequer, or Senechal as worshippers of the trading god. 

Priests of Toubaris and successful Merchants are nearly indistinguishable, save for the fact that  the deep green and bright gold trim on hats and clothing here and there, Walking shoes, or boots, and that four coin holy symbol.  The Clergy can be male or female, so long as they uphold the doctrine., and don't get carried away by emotion.  It's just business.  His Clergy are instructed to wear clean, presentable clothes, quality working shoes, and to go about armed. The Clergy are schooled in accountancy, as well as theology, and members often specialize in various aspects.  They encourage the acquisition of languages.  They test for intelligence, and "Wisdom". Their philosophy, is that everyone's coin is valuable, and one wisely spent will improve people's lives. They will advise, business owners and the populace if consulted on what would be a good course of action to improve their income, business and lives. They are educated in the law, and so, for coin can be an advocate.  They tend to be very polite, as goodwill is the first part of any business, but they will know how to defend themselves. 

Spells often seen are the sealing of oaths, magical penalties applied to oath breakers (penalties declared before the oath is administered, so the breaker will know why thy are in constant pain, have gone blind, or members of their family have become gravely ill), to lock in contracts, so both parties are bound to it.  Detect debased coins,  Detect forgery, Translate Languages,  a suite of spells to secure rooms or buildings (Often, a priest will have one pocket of their garment full of unremarkable stones, that they will use to mark boundaries around temporary lodging for the night).  Illusions. sleight of hand. Like other clergy, they can heal, but they aren't the ones to go to if one has suffered grievous wounds.  Toubaris' healing tends to be a bit more subtle, in that it is to enhance or provide endurance to people and animals, to banish sleep for a time, to enhance mental focus, especially during boring tasks, such as accountancy), to calm the digestion, so that they do not suffer in foreign lands, and to prevent sickness or disease from taking hold.  They may also define a boundary so that if a wagon is driven into it, the weight, the percentage of spoilage, if gold then it's percentage of debasement total (good for tax time), and to drive away vermin.   The  As they are representatives of the god of commerce, all services are provided either for coin, or for labor. There is no free lunch. (but often free drinks).  Magic items they may carry are enchanted scales, that give correct weights to items, regardless of attempted deception or debasement.  weather proof cloaks, Magical shelters, Strong Boxes with magical puzzle locks. Inkwells that never run out, a roll of papyrus (some cultures object to parchment as it is an animal product, and animal products interfere with contracts, as both parties have to sign in blood), A weather proof tent, and Regenerating wagon wheels and axles. If there is a lot of nautical adventuring or travel, they would have a compass, but not the normal kind, and ways for their goods and containers to float.

This is just a first pass. I may elaborate later

6 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Toubaris, God of Trade , contracts, and commerce. appears as a solid, middle aged man, but with a very mobile face.  The first commandment of Toubaris is to have a goal, then to have a plan, and then work, day by day along to plan, towards your goal.   His Holy Symbol is four coins, from where you took his oath first, arraigned into a diamond shape, with the highest denomination uppermost, worn around the neck. The oath, administered by a priest over the coins empowers it.  The reasons for the coins is to  test one's commitment, as once can keep it as an holy symbol, or one can part the coins off, and spend them.  In extremis, one can part things out, but they will have to make a new symbol within the month, even if they are reduced to digging ditches or cleaning stables. The Symbol has to be remade from local coins once again, and blessed within a moon's cycle. Tavern owners, shop keepers, and traders, are often worshippers of Toubaris, but the worship is often seen amongst larger land owners, horse breeders, and millers. The worship is decidedly middle class, and unless a country is ruled by merchant princes, The nobility may only see their exchequer, or Senechal as worshippers of the trading god. 

Priests of Toubaris and successful Merchants are nearly indistinguishable, save for the fact that  the deep green and bright gold trim on hats and clothing here and there, Walking shoes, or boots, and that four coin holy symbol.  The Clergy can be male or female, so long as they uphold the doctrine., and don't get carried away by emotion.  It's just business.  His Clergy are instructed to wear clean, presentable clothes, quality working shoes, and to go about armed. The Clergy are schooled in accountancy, as well as theology, and members often specialize in various aspects.  They encourage the acquisition of languages.  They test for intelligence, and "Wisdom". Their philosophy, is that everyone's coin is valuable, and one wisely spent will improve people's lives. They will advise, business owners and the populace if consulted on what would be a good course of action to improve their income, business and lives. They are educated in the law, and so, for coin can be an advocate.  They tend to be very polite, as goodwill is the first part of any business, but they will know how to defend themselves. 

Spells often seen are the sealing of oaths, magical penalties applied to oath breakers (penalties declared before the oath is administered, so the breaker will know why thy are in constant pain, have gone blind, or members of their family have become gravely ill), to lock in contracts, so both parties are bound to it.  Detect debased coins,  Detect forgery, Translate Languages,  a suite of spells to secure rooms or buildings (Often, a priest will have one pocket of their garment full of unremarkable stones, that they will use to mark boundaries around temporary lodging for the night).  Illusions. sleight of hand. Like other clergy, they can heal, but they aren't the ones to go to if one has suffered grievous wounds.  Toubaris' healing tends to be a bit more subtle, in that it is to enhance or provide endurance to people and animals, to banish sleep for a time, to enhance mental focus, especially during boring tasks, such as accountancy), to calm the digestion, so that they do not suffer in foreign lands, and to prevent sickness or disease from taking hold.  They may also define a boundary so that if a wagon is driven into it, the weight, the percentage of spoilage, if gold then it's percentage of debasement total (good for tax time), and to drive away vermin.   The  As they are representatives of the god of commerce, all services are provided either for coin, or for labor. There is no free lunch. (but often free drinks).  Magic items they may carry are enchanted scales, that give correct weights to items, regardless of attempted deception or debasement.  weather proof cloaks, Magical shelters, Strong Boxes with magical puzzle locks. Inkwells that never run out, a roll of papyrus (some cultures object to parchment as it is an animal product, and animal products interfere with contracts, as both parties have to sign in blood), A weather proof tent, and Regenerating wagon wheels and axles. If there is a lot of nautical adventuring or travel, they would have a compass, but not the normal kind, and ways for their goods and containers to float.

This is just a first pass. I may elaborate later

THIS is a first pass?   WOW!  What happens when you put your mind to it?

As it is, I love it!

This is just what I need to kick start my imagination....  but.... do go on!

13 hours ago, Mr. R said:

THIS is a first pass?   WOW!  What happens when you put your mind to it?

I write supplements that never get off the hard drives.   Though I might submit a monster thing to Nord Games.           
I am thinking about writing a 5e supplement. Basically I daydream a lot and world build at the drop of a hat.  

13 hours ago, Mr. R said:

As it is, I love it!

This is just what I need to kick start my imagination....  but.... do go on!

Most of your discussion on legal cheating would be theology and doctrine. This results in knowledge and skill rolls, rather than specific spells to aid that. It would be writings on contract law, the ethics of smuggling, and discussions on the question of is tax theft?  The spells themselves, are regarded as the god’s will, but also as tools to spread the message, therefore the magic would have to maintain a reputation of being above board, and consistent, so as to maintain trust amongst the population.  

Toubaris is more on the Order side of the Order/ Chaos line as he craves stability, as that is best for business. Toubaris and his church align with the crafting and fertility gods. Is ambivalent to the war gods, and is opposed to the gods of sin and destruction. He is also opposed to any leveling ideology, as that will damage an economy as surely as a plague. His ideal is a settlement of comfortably prosperous people, enjoying their work and play together, serving each other’s wants and needs through work and wise investments. 

58 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I write supplements that never get off the hard drives.   Though I might submit a monster thing to Nord Games.           
I am thinking about writing a 5e supplement. Basically I daydream a lot and world build at the drop of a hat.  

Most of your discussion on legal cheating would be theology and doctrine. This results in knowledge and skill rolls, rather than specific spells to aid that. It would be writings on contract law, the ethics of smuggling, and discussions on the question of is tax theft?  The spells themselves, are regarded as the god’s will, but also as tools to spread the message, therefore the magic would have to maintain a reputation of being above board, and consistent, so as to maintain trust amongst the population.  

Toubaris is more on the Order side of the Order/ Chaos line as he craves stability, as that is best for business. Toubaris and his church align with the crafting and fertility gods. Is ambivalent to the war gods, and is opposed to the gods of sin and destruction. He is also opposed to any leveling ideology, as that will damage an economy as surely as a plague. His ideal is a settlement of comfortably prosperous people, enjoying their work and play together, serving each other’s wants and needs through work and wise investments. 

Wait till I get to my Chaos Gods.  They include a goddess of luck, god of wrath and a god of revelry.   He's gonna love them!