TJack memorial thread May 31 2022

My friend decided to join Sir Terry on the morning of May 31 2022  - a master of trivia and avid hero games enthusiast.

TJack always liked stories and told some to his goddaughter two days ago. He then threatened to tell racy stories about the 14 year old’s mother “when you get to be 18”. 

TJack humored me. He had created Jack Flash who was Bill Maxwell rejuvenated by the little green guys and given Ralph Hinkley’s supersuit who promptly got lost in the multiverse while testing his powers. I suggested that since Bill Maxwell had lost his Black partner at the FBi and that Robert Culp played Kelly Robinson in I Spy that it would be a cute twist if Bill the FBI agent was a retired spy and that Alexander Scott was the deceased partner. 

I’ll be spinning tales of a kind man in his honor. Those who will miss his wit are welcome to do the same. My sympathies to those who will miss him.

My wife just reminded me TJack can enjoy coffee again. Twenty years ago in July he was driving for work when his heart exploded.

He used to drink a pot of coffee before getting out of bed in the morning using a timer run coffee pot next to his bed. 

This got more extreme when he discovered caffeinated water made the coffee more potent.

Fortunately he was near a hospital when he collapsed. They were able to patch his heart although he was dead for a little bit… He used to claim that Saint Peter told him to go back and get a note from me since I was one of his more religious friends. 

Not only was he given only 3 years to live after the life saving surgery but he had to go without caffeine. 

So lift a cup of coffee for TJack.

After almost 20 years of extended life TJack was dependent on an Oxygen feed but happily participating in FanFiction sites and online forums. His lung function has dropped to 30% at his last physical and he was not expecting more than another year of life.

He was recently in an online champions game but hadn’t found quite the right fit. He kept hoping I would get to running the SuperAgents of SHIELD campaign that he had brainstormed a few years ago but dndbeyond was taking my available time.

A bout of the flu landed TJack in the hospital and reduced his lung function to 5%. He was expecting to recover but just found out that the flu was out of his system and recovery was not expected.

Take a deep breath for TJack and congratulate him for having beaten the odds for so long.

As I told a friend today TJack IS a kind man. I wonder how many points his new write up is based on. I miss him.

TJack never claimed to be a math wiz. 

Which is funny since we used to play champions as part of the MIT Strategic Gaming Society.

He would occasionally make a power work by dividing by “bleen “

I made his head hurt. Once a friend (We’ll call him Nah) has me write up Superman on 225 points (This involved applying 3 levels of shrinking on the entire planet) Nah liked overpowered characters and to my shame I helped him with several. My friend would look with horror on these creations.

Head is not hurting now.

Shake you head and remember TJack.

My last private message from TJack kind of says it all for me. A lot of times when I get those, they are, understandably, about a moderator question about what might or might not fly inthe forums, or can I please correct a title with a typo, or look into this particular situation I missed. That's fine and dandy and I even appreciate it. It helps me save time trouble shooting by alerting me. Sometimes it's complaints about moderation or what not. That's okay too. But Tjack's last Private Message to me was regarding a superdraft where I picked the Wildcard Virus as an option.

He had loads of ideas, and wanted to share them if I wanted them. He knew the lore and he didn't tell me WHAT to do, he rather spoke of the cool stuff I COULD do, because I think I had admitted in thread at having to think things over for more picks etc. That is Geekery at its most passionate and generous. No complaints, no requests, just a passion about a subject and knowledge to offer if it would help me in a  fun little game. I appreciated it. And again, I think it says alot about what kind of guy he was.

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

When did you guys play Champions at MIT?  I used to go back in the late 90's/early 00's on Saturdays to sneak in a classroom for our group to play.

When Champions came out we were in Building 50 Walker memorial just one floor below the SGS room. We moved to building 66 in ‘81. I left from 88 to 93 when TJack and his best friend started a new campaign every other Saturday night which lasted a couple years.