Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

8 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Instead of a specific news event, here's an article about a wider cultural trend with some pondering about what it means. Possibly some material here for SF or urban Fantasy campaign design.

https://studyfinds.org/robots-hindu-rituals/

Dean Shomshak

I've often seen it as a bit of a cheat. Spinning a prayer wheel or reciting the Rosary should be a contemplative act, an outer ritual to foster an inner journey. Automating the act so you don't have to think about it seems to me to be missing the point.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I've often seen it as a bit of a cheat. Spinning a prayer wheel or reciting the Rosary should be a contemplative act, an outer ritual to foster an inner journey. Automating the act so you don't have to think about it seems to me to be missing the point.

See also all those comics that has a brat running a program and printing out "I will not misbehave in class" x amount of times.

10 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Instead of a specific news event, here's an article about a wider cultural trend with some pondering about what it means. Possibly some material here for SF or urban Fantasy campaign design.

https://studyfinds.org/robots-hindu-rituals/

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

There's an old story in the science fiction canon bearing on this sort of theme ... Arthur C Clarke's The Nine Billion Names of God.

Oh, I can come up with a theological rationalization: In Hinduism, everything is an aspect of Brahman. You are Brahman; the god you worship is Brahman; the offering you make to the god is Brahman. It's all Brahman worshipping itself. The robot, too, is Brahman, so its worship is just as valid.

OK, it's really all the other strain of South Asian religion: magic. No deep theology, really: Do the act, get the merit. Pour X many ash oblations into a stream, say the mantra Y thousand times, get magic power. The goal in Hinduism and Buddhism is supposed to be liberation/enlightenment, but that can be defined in multiple ways. For many people, that means a magic power to get what you want. But then, I remember seeing an ad for a Gold Prosperity Cross allegedly dipped in Lourdes water, so I dare say no religion is immune to the lure of magic charms and mechanical rituals, with no shortage of con men ready to supply them.

If the magical merit -- tapas, "heat" in Hinduism -- accumulates to the robot instead of the person who set the robot in motion, though, eventually the gods are compelled to give magical power to the robot. Potential Champions character/scenario, here.

Dean Shomshak

After the one in Mexico/US/Canada next year, the next total eclipse is in the North Atlantic (the track runs down the east coast of Greenland, dead across Iceland, and then skirts the north coast of Spain and the Spain/France border); it is in August 2026.

The one in August 2027 goes across the south edge of the Mediterranean before running diagonally across Egypt, down the Red Sea, and across SE Saudi Arabia (it might pass over Mecca; the map I have isn't that detailed).  It's a 6-minute-plus eclipse, so that one's worth considering a cruise for.