Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

They waited.

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT—

‘No, wait, master. Here it comes.’ Albert pointed to something white zigzagging lazily through the air.

Finally Death reached up and caught the single sheet of paper. He read it carefully and then turned it over briefly just in case anything was written on the other side.

‘May I?’ said Albert.

Death handed him the paper.

‘“Some of the sheep,”’ Albert read aloud.

-- Terry Pratchett - The Last Continent

<groan>

According to one of the El Paso stations, we saw a new record high in town today.  107.  Other sites use different stations, at different locations...the one I like the most said 105.  Vagaries of the local areas...and the official site is out at the Las Cruces Airport, which is in the middle of nowhere, and atop a mesa.

It's too early in the season for this...........

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Not at all - it's going to get worse. Quickly.

Well, there's worse as in "bigger," and there's worse as in "more often." Heat like this was not unknown for the most part, but it was very rare. We can anticipate the extremes happening progressively more often.

On 6/8/2024 at 6:45 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Well, there's worse as in "bigger," and there's worse as in "more often." Heat like this was not unknown for the most part, but it was very rare. We can anticipate the extremes happening progressively more often.

We're getting both.

The more frequent heat is giving rise to storms that are also more frequent, AND bigger.

And setting monthly average temperature records for 12 consecutive months?  I'd bet that's never happened, barring the very, very start of recording the info and getting these averages.  Historically, another site I like says the last 12 months are 2.2 degrees higher than the average...since 2007, when their station commenced operating.  

The local forecast is the next 6 days, the high will be 104+...with Thursday, 109.  That's from weather.com.  The 2 week forecast has 9 straight triple-digit days...then a comfortable 98, then 4 more triple-digit days.  Already.

Francoise Hardy a French singer, actress and muse has died aged 80

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgg8elp0lxo

A former British PM's ring found in a field sells for £9,500 around $10,000

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cevvz8j0wq1o

Dr Michael Moseley dies in Greece

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1dd7ekyrpyo

How Michael Moseley helped transform people's health

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9776r3nqv1o

Edited by death tribble

30 minutes ago, Pariah said:

NASA can fix a probe four times as far away as Pluto, but I still can't get cell reception in my basement.

Calibrate the tachyon particle array, then remodulate the phase inducers. 

Edited by Starlord

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

NASA can fix a probe four times as far away as Pluto, but I still can't get cell reception in my basement.

Though to be fair, if your cell phone provider took 7 months to fix a problem, you'd probably complain a bit.  :winkgrin:

You might also complain if they said, "Okay, we can fix it, but first you have to move 15 billion miles away..."