Plasma Rifle Area

LordQulex

Question

In Star Hero 6e p.190 (and 6e Equipment Guide p.194), a plasma rifle is defined as 12d6 NX. The key describes X as "Area Of Effect (Radius Explosion, assumed to be of a size to give the Advantage a final value of +½)." The Area of Effect table (6e1 319) says 17-32m radius is +1, and explosion is -½, so a "final value of +½" is anywhere between a 17 and 32m radius. 

That can't be right...

Explosions lose one DC every 2m after the target point +2m, so a 12d6 N blast will do damage out to a 25m radius. Granted only 1d6 N, but a 25m radius none the less. To put things into perspective, that 25m radius is roughly 10x larger than the floorplan of an average single family home (so says Google), or 1/3 the area of an American football field. That's BIG for a standard issue infantryman weapon (in my opinion).

I just want to make sure my interpretation is correct. I understand that this is a hard sci-fi setting and I can change the rules how I see fit (I'm going to make my plasma rifle 2m radius), but again I want to make sure my understanding of how this all interacts is correct so I can correctly interpret other equipment in the tables.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

As far as rules go...

On 6/14/2022 at 12:44 PM, LordQulex said:

The Area of Effect table (6e1 319) says 17-32m radius is +1, and explosion is -½, so a "final value of +½" is anywhere between a 17 and 32m radius. 

This is correct.  A weapon with this Advantage would indeed have an Explosion between 17 and 32 meters in radius.  A 12d6 Blast with this Advantage would do damage out to a 25 meter radius from the central point of the explosion.  

As for the rest, I'd recommend starting a topic on the Star Hero board for further discussion.  :)