Red Sonja

fdw3773

There have been fan write-ups of Robert E. Howard's Red Sonja for D&D, so here's my interpretation of the famous character of the sword and sorcery genre for Fantasy Hero. Included is the Hero Designer file,  Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word to use, edit, and print as you see fit.

Enjoy! 🙂

51 minutes ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

I am familiar with the character although I have never read any of Howard's stories in which she appears, but this looks good.  I appreciate the Combat Luck since her outfit clearly isn't offering any real protection.

Thanks! Surprisingly, Robert E. Howard's original story was "Red Sonya of Rogatino" that took place in the Renaissance era where she carried a saber and pistol. Marvel Comics would adapt her from his stories during the 1970s into the version we enjoy today as a contemporary to Conan the Barbarian. 🙂

• 2 months later...

I like it. I also like that you didn't go full-on Pro From Dover and overbuild her. 

I have the same feeling about your Conan build. Pretty solid and not over-baked.

The combat luck is a good choice for REH characters, and I laughed when you listed the bikini which appears to provide no mechanical benefit.

Another option, from Pulp Hero, would be to use the "I'm not afraid of your spears, either!" version of Heroic Grace, which gives 10rPD/10rED armor, but always lets the first body through. Combine that with the rapid healing talent from Dark Champions and you have a pretty resilient bare-chested barbarian / chainmail bikini wearing / or even just dapper light-fighter approach. And you could slap a level of CL onto that, too!

On 7/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, Ockham's Spoon said:

I am familiar with the character although I have never read any of Howard's stories in which she appears, but this looks good.  I appreciate the Combat Luck since her outfit clearly isn't offering any real protection.

Well the Red Sonja in the stories are from a different era in time. Elizabethan, I believe. But she is still a sword woman.

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Well the Red Sonja in the stories are from a different era in time. Elizabethan, I believe. But she is still a sword woman.

I like both characters, but I somewhat prefer the one with a "Y."

More clothes and a fouler mouth.

In fact, the one female character I played, who became one of my unexpected mainstays, had the tagline "Red Sonja with Clothes!"

Still, chainmail bikini! Its got its own cachet!