What if you weren't real?

At times, I do wonder whether I'm still alive, or if I actually died at some point relatively recently and am "living" in my slowly fading imagination and memory.  

Other than that, I'm of a mind with Ragitsu.  If I'm a construct created by someone else, then either they're not very ambitious / imaginative or I was created as part of some class team project where the team members are pretty much half-assing it.  

How would you feel in these specific situations?

• It is revealed that you're a robot (android, puppet, etc.)
  • It is revealed that you're a simulation (just you)
  • It is revealed that you're in a simulation (entire world/universe)
  • It is revealed that you're a clone (simulacrum, duplicate, etc.)

3 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Depends on the availability of parts.

Figures.

(Immediately starts looking for admin credentials)

No universe deserves more than one of me.

11 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

1, 2 & 4) I feel like laughing at Satan’s face, so I do so. Feels good. 

3) Well dur. Our matrix obvious to anyone who has taken the time to look into the traditional & classical world-understanding and compared it with the modern world-understanding. Just as obvious that just as Rome decayed then fell, the Occident is currently decaying…we are living in Howard’s Hyborian’s Age where the two sides are The Monks of Saint Leibowitz vs The Nazguls. We will win. 

Actually, the initial question leads me to ask: what is held to be more real than yourself, when the final syllogism must be laid out for inspection? 

Who is making the assertion, as a great, moody blue sage once did?

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Actually, the initial question leads me to ask: what is held to be more real than yourself, when the final syllogism must be laid out for inspection? 

Who is making the assertion, as a great, moody blue sage once did?

You could read the books of James Gibson, ecological psychologist, which from a second-hand source stated that he ‘proved’ the world outside us is real. Naturally, I want to investigate this claim for myself. 

Like others, I would have to wonder at the sanity and intelligence of anyone who would fake up my existence, by whatever method. I've failed ad darn near everything, and not even in an interesting way.

If it's an entire simulated world, my existence is substantially unchanged.

Whatever the mode of my putative unreality, I would continue taking care of my mother, to the extent I can do so. I take my obligations seriously, even if it turned out that I didn't have a mother because I wasn't real. Once that obligation was lifted, I think I would go mad from the revelation that the world was nothing like I thought it was, and devote the rest of my fraudulent existence to finding the Simulator and making them suffer for it.

Dean Shomshak

There's a college textbook I picked up in a thrift store some years ago. (It's not titled Physical Science for Business Majors, but it probably could have been.) One of the early chapters has a discussion of what it calls "Six Self-evident Truths for Understanding the Universe". The first of these is Existence: the idea that the universe is a real place, that it is accessible to us through our senses, and that we have the capacity to understand how it works via a set of rules that we call the laws of nature.

Implicit in this is the idea that each of us, as a resident and observer of nature, is real as well.

I tend to look at this as a sort of cogito, ergo sum, a starting point for comprehending reality. Because if it isn't true, I don't know where you would start instead.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

There's a college textbook I picked up in a thrift store some years ago. (It's not titled Physical Science for Business Majors, but it probably could have been.) One of the early chapters has a discussion of what it calls "Six Self-evident Truths for Understanding the Universe". The first of these is Existence: the idea that the universe is a real place, that it is accessible to us through our senses, and that we have the capacity to understand how it works via a set of rules that we call the laws of nature.

Implicit in this is the idea that each of us, as a resident and observer of nature, is real as well.

I tend to look at this as a sort of cogito, ergo sum, a starting point for comprehending reality. Because if it isn't true, I don't know where you would start instead.

Start with the laws of thought (logic) then proceed to the first principles of knowledge (criteriology). This will explain the how and the why the external perceptible world exists. Then we can discuss. :) I've read one chapter on logic and feel like I'm reading reality's machine code. 

And I'd be interested in the other self-evident truths it has.