Got The Old Girl Running Again

Simon

So...my "other COVID project" has been restoring an old truck that my dad purchased back in 1984.  A 1925 International Harvester Model S Speed Truck, to be precise.  All original, but in need of a LOT of love and attention.

IMG_2236.jpeg

Replaced the carburetor with a non-original but same era Stromberg SF-1 -- vastly more reliable than the original, which was renowned for cracking and leaking (which it had on multiple occasions).

Relined and restored the brakes, retuning all of the mechanical linkages.  This was easily the biggest of the jobs we had to perform -- a crazy amount involved there.

Re-wired the entirety of the electric system, including the mains (with era-appropriate wiring)

Fixed and remounted the lights and connection assemblies.

Replaced the generator cut-out (and was thrilled to find that the original generator was still perfectly functional)

Replaced all oil and lubricant with era-appropriate formulae.

Degreased (or at least began the long process of degreasing) the undercarriage.

Restored the dials and gauges in the cabin (in the process of re-wiring)...and found the original ignition key.

And got plates put onto it for the first time today, so it's officially road-legal.  Not an easy process in that I had to apply for a title in order to get the plates....the title my dad had gotten back in the 80's had completely incorrect information (1918 model year rather than 1925...wrong serial number/VIN - they had for some reason used the model number from the engine...etc).  Took it out for a 10 mile drive with multiple hills -- handled it like a champ.

So that's one project done....except for the cosmetics.  It's supposed to be a Red Baby -- found ample proof to support that as we worked through the restoration.  The re-paint to original will come in the next year or so...apart from the lettering (which I have the original schematics for), it'll be more or less like this:

IHCtruck-1.jpeg

So...that's been my past year of side project.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled gaming forum ;) 

6V system. Using a vintage high zinc, low detergent oil in it (strongly recommended for cars of that age). No hexagonal cells. Throttle on the steering wheel, along with the spark timer lever...though there's also a foot throttle (not so much a pedal as a small nub).

9 hours ago, Killer Shrike said:

They truly don't make 'em like the used to. 

That they don't....though the manual has some borderline terrifying maintenance advice (everything is meant to be serviced, not replaced).

Brakes get grease on them?  Disassemble the rear wheels to take the brake shoes off, pour kerosene over them and light them on fire - problem solved!

Oil gets contaminated with gas or other crud?  Drain the oil, fill the crank case with kerosene, run the starter (with the ignition off) for 2-3 minutes, drain the kerosene and fill with oil. Proceed to run the engine "gently" for a little while.

Ok...that last one I'll likely be doing in the immediate future...but still, the fascination with kerosene as the cure to all ills on a vehicle is somewhat disturbing.

8 hours ago, Simon said:

Ok...that last one I'll likely be doing in the immediate future...but still, the fascination with kerosene as the cure to all ills on a vehicle is somewhat disturbing.

My grandfather (who was approximately the same age as your vehicle) cleaned all kinds of things with kerosene and gasoline.  Tools.  Windows.  Clothes.  I'm not even kidding.

12 hours ago, Simon said:

Brakes get grease on them?  Disassemble the rear wheels to take the brake shoes off, pour kerosene over them and light them on fire - problem solved!

I feel like there are any number of problems that could be solved with this simple approach. Must investigate further.

I use Kerosene to clean things, usually gun parts, and it's great for keeping things from rusting in the short term. Detergent free oil is available for some tasks (bluing, quenching, ect.), but it's not as common.

So this vehicle has the usual 45mph top speed, and just rear wheel brakes?  Originally cotton brake pads? It's kind of frightening driving at night on a 6v electrical system, with the headlight only getting to a limited brightness. My experience is with Model A fords, and WW2 vehicles.  Model Ts were explained to me , as gas powered golf carts. Same performance, but with non standard controls.

Top speed of 30mph (hence “Speed Truck”) - speeds increased in following years, with the six speed special coming out in 1928 (IIRC).

Headlights aren’t horrible, but certainly don’t compare to a good set of off-road lights.

The brakes are asbestos-lined (hence the maintenance recommendation to light them on fire to clean them)