Which is less onerous as a player.....

Mr. R

I am modelling my Divine casters.  They will have a MP with a very restrictive set of abilities.

MP

Gestures

Incantations

Concentration (1/2 DCV)

Only for domain spells--- each deity has three domains Ex Air, Cold, Darkness.  Each domain has a granted power that costs 10 RP, then a MP with powers at the 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 Active point level.  Each domain has one power at each level.  So MP 45 pts has the Air 30 and 45, the Cold 30 and 45, and the Darkness 30 and 45.  This is not my question though.

Last Limitation

Each slot costs end (even if it normally didn't) and 

a Side Effect --- Each use of the power will cost AP/10 in LTE.  (Note the granted powers do not have this limitation)

Now my question---

Is it better to set it up so that each use of the Power activates the SE?  (Note that first activation of a constant power will trigger the SE, but not the upkeep.)

OR

Every switch of the MP to a new slot will activate the SE?  So use the 30 pt power then the 45 4t power.  So SE 3 LTE then SE 4 LTE.  

Which is better?  

After much discussion with myself (Don't ask) I have decided the having the SE occour upon switching slots was far less onerous.  The slots have a high enough End cost as it is that a caster that uses ONE spell a lot (what I call the Palladium Call Lightning Syndrome) will still use a good chunk of End.  They will have to judge whether doing a good deal of switching is worth the exhaustion!

A lot of these issues come down to "how do I want the game to play?", even if we don't initially think they are.  What I am perceiving, and how it would guide me as a player:

On 8/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, Mr. R said:

MP

Gestures

Incantations

Concentration (1/2 DCV)

Only for domain spells--- each deity has three domains Ex Air, Cold, Darkness.  Each domain has a granted power that costs 10 RP, then a MP with powers at the 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 Active point level.  Each domain has one power at each level.  So MP 45 pts has the Air 30 and 45, the Cold 30 and 45, and the Darkness 30 and 45.  This is not my question though.

Last Limitation

Each slot costs end (even if it normally didn't) and 

a Side Effect --- Each use of the power will cost AP/10 in LTE.  (Note the granted powers do not have this limitation)

7 hours ago, Mr. R said:

After much discussion with myself (Don't ask) I have decided the having the SE occour upon switching slots was far less onerous.  The slots have a high enough End cost as it is that a caster that uses ONE spell a lot (what I call the Palladium Call Lightning Syndrome) will still use a good chunk of End.  They will have to judge whether doing a good deal of switching is worth the exhaustion!

OK, I will be spending a lot of END, and all of my powers will share common limitations, so a large variety of slots will  not enable me to switch limitations to suit the circumstances.  To the extent possible, get domain abilities that will circumvent these limitations in combat.  Things you may want to switch to, use once, then switch away from, in combat will make better domain powers than MP slots.

Avoid putting powers that cost no END by default in the MP - the point savings from the limitation on a slot is negligible.  Again, try to get these as domain powers.  Defense, for example, should be a domain power, equipment, etc. - it does not belong in the MP.

Pick MP slots you will use outside combat, when time to recover both short-term and long-term END will be less of an issue.  Pick one attack power slot that you can spam repeatedly in combat so there is no reason to switch slots when END is at a premium.  This model encourages your Call Lightning Syndrome.

I decided I was making this TOO complex.  I want stuff that is plug and play.  So Back to the drawing board.  I want to simplify things for my players.  As a result I am giving Mr. Shrike's Spontaneous Casting model!  Five ranks of spells (AP 15/30/45/60/75) with a list of spells based on the domains and portfolios of the deities in question!

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/vancianSpontaneousMP.aspx