Is there a RAR means to do a group pooling of CPs for a group resource?

Jujitsuguy

Hey All:

Something came up and I wonder if this is first an acceptable item in Hero, and if so, how to properly go about it, Rules As Written(RAR).

I have a team in my campaign--I am the GM--and One player was going to wait and build up points to make a base.

I was wondering, to expedite this and give all players equal access to this resource, is there a RAR means of being able to provide a group pooling of XP(CP) to "buy" resource points for a base?

Of course, the long term resolution is to literally give them a base of operations on.

This includes for example an Interstellar FTL Starship, which can be VERY expensive.

Any and all wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Chuck D. aka "Jujitsuguy"

The rules allow multiple characters to spend Character Points on a Base or Vehicle: "More than one character can contribute toward the cost of a Base or Vehicle" (6E1 107). Further, you can use the rules for Assigned Experience Points to provide characters with additional Character Points toward a Base or Vehicle: "You [the GM] can also choose to award specific Skills or Perks [like Bases and Vehicles] in lieu of Experience Points (assigned or otherwise)" (6E2 293).

Last time I started up a big superhero campaign, I gave the whole team a certain amount of points to spend.  They had to discuss who got what point totals etc.  Then I gave them a list of things they could buy from that pool, such as a base, agents, an AI, teach super shuttles, contacts, on and on.  It went really well: the team ended up with agents and a base with flying cars and a fair number of points each character, but pretty close to normal Superhero pt totals at the time for starting characters.

I think it also helped them for up as a team, because they started the game out having worked together to develop their team and its basis even before the game started.

Two routes to go for me: If the characters simply need a base as window dressing, because that's the setup for the campaign, then it's free. If they want more control over what resources the base provides, then they can pay for it, or if it's the characters' idea. I don't like the idea of mandating points being spent on a base.

Is the campaign you are running a Superhero, or Heroic? Normally in a heroic campaign the characters don’t pay points for gear which would include bases and vehicles.  Capitan Kirk does not have to pay for the Enterprise, but Batman needs to shell out points for the batmobile.  

The other thing to consider is does the base have any special abilities.  If all the characters get is an office that has no supercomputer, labs, and is not difficult to find I would not bother charging them for it or even writing it up.  So, an office in a building in the middle of town that anyone can find would be free.  A hidden base in a cave under the sea is going to cost point. 

I've also used this "shared points" concept beyond just things like vehicles or bases.  For example, I've used it to build characters like Voltron (where multiple folks have to combine in order to create a powerful "shared" character) or things like a powerful spell that an entire coven of witches must cast in concert.  The basic idea is that if all characters have to be present and willing to use it in order for it to work, then it's fine to split the cost among the characters.

And with the ship, extending LoneWolf's point, if it's there basically to facilitate the storyline, then you can just give them the vehicle;  it need not cost points.  Or perhaps it comes with certain obligations or duties, to reflect the fact that it is a particularly expensive item.  That gets to character and campaign backstory.

3 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

I've also used this "shared points" concept beyond just things like vehicles or bases.  For example, I've used it to build characters like Voltron (where multiple folks have to combine in order to create a powerful "shared" character) or things like a powerful spell that an entire coven of witches must cast in concert.  The basic idea is that if all characters have to be present and willing to use it in order for it to work, then it's fine to split the cost among the characters.

If I remember correctly, the original Morbains from DEMON have a shared spell like that.