"Labs" for Interaction Skills

In "Ultimate Base" (if I recall correctly), the author wrote that having a Laboratory for certain Interaction skills would be problematic. One such specific skill he mentioned was High Society. 

For some of my own NPCs, I created "Labs" in their Lairs (i.e. Bases) for various Interaction Skills (primarily Conversation and High Society) by naming the "Lab" something appropriate to the character's concept and setting, such as a Great Hall (for a castle) or a Grand Salon and/or Ballroom (for a palace). 

Just thought I'd share this idea. 

Thanks, 

Franklin

A lab is usually used for analyzing something, so I guess an Interaction Skill lab would be for reenacting social scenes and analyzing the results?

A genius scientist could have Westworld-type androids play other people as they try out different ways to handle an interaction, I suppose.

I don’t see why this could not work.  A fully stocked torture chamber would work well for a “Lab” for interrogation. Most of the other interaction skill could also have similar explanations.  One thing to keep in mind though is that you only get the benefit of the lab when you actually make the skill roll in the lab. Since many interaction skills are not made at the characters base this may not get you as a lot of benefits.  As a GM I would want a reason why it is giving a bonus.  That would be true of any skill not just interaction skills.  

It sounds lime Ultimate Base might be expanding the rules for Labs. (Yeah like that never happens in this game 😂.) So at face value I take it that High Society-Great Hall is helpful when you need to impress those whom High Society works on.

Conversation, well if the targets are comfortable both physical and mental, they are more apt to talk easier and let more information slip.

I don’t use Base rules but I can’t see a problem with this. 

Based on the number of characters I've written up who have the Inventor skill, I would say that I usually use Labs (in a Base) as workshops, more so than as a research facility. I view Labs as a place for *doing* stuff just as much as a place for *learning* stuff. That is why I came up with the idea I posted in my original post above. 

As an addendum, I've also written up "Labs" for other Interaction skills (Conversation; Seduction) as "entertainment lounges." 

This feels (to me) as a way to better personalize a character's Base as his *home* (instead of just being a Headquarters). 

Thanks, 

Franklin

16 hours ago, Franklin W. Cain said:

As an addendum, I've also written up "Labs" for other Interaction skills (Conversation; Seduction) as "entertainment lounges."

I had a similar thought from your first post.  Seems like a reasonable use of Labs.  I may have to get the target of my interaction to the Lab, but that's fine.  As a GM, I might require you to have the patient present to use a medical lab to diagnose them, or to analyze their unusual biochemistry and figure out their superpowers.  Providing your own "appropriate setting" for an interaction skill to be more effective seems like a reasonable use of the Labs mechanic, very consistent with "mechanics and special effects are separate".

I could see a lab that you study someone at, based on their personality, behavior, history, reactions, etc and the lab gives you tips and pointers on how to best handle such a personality.  +1 to interaction skills with that person, with a time limit (you forget or circumstances change so the tips aren't as useful any longer).