exotic locations

Franklin W. Cain

What are some of the more exotic locations from your various (Champions) campaigns? I'm not talking about which real-world foreign cities and/or nations you've used; I'm talking about places most mundane people won't even necessarily know about or at least not be able to visit. What are the counterparts to Latveria, Themyscira, and Atlantis in your games? 

To help get this started, here are some of the ones I've used. 

CK: Heinlein Station, at Luna's South Pole

AK: Luna, Earth's Moon

CK: Port Olympus, on Mars

AK: Mars

AK: Jovian Space; Jupiter and its Moons

AK: Cronian/Saturnian Space; Saturn and its Moons

AK: Solar System

AK: Near-Sol Astrography

AK: Alternate Timelines

CK: Caer Frigis of the Winter Court

AK: Faerie Realms

AK: Angelic/"High Celestial" Realms

AK: Infernal/"Low Celestial" Realms

AK: Astral Realms

AK: Mindscapes/Dreamscapes (a Terrain Knowledge for mentalists, whether arcane or psionic)

Have fun! 😉 

Franklin

Well, I've run through my share of alien planets, fantasy dimensions, underwater kingdoms, underground "lost worlds," etc. I think the most exotic location I ever gamed any substantial time in was based on a brief reference for the current official Champions Universe, which I greatly elaborated for my own use (with some assistance from forum posters). The Valley of Night is a hidden vale in South America containing a remnant of the pre-Columbian Inca civilization of South America, ruled by "were-jaguar priests." I tied the Valley to an official villain derived from the same cultural region, the terrible demon-goddess of darkness called Eclipsar, who hates the Sun and seeks to extinguish it.

As I defined it, the Valley was created by Eclipsar as a refuge for her worshipers, who were driven from the Inca Empire by the followers of its dominant cult, that of the sun-god Inti. The Valley is shielded from the Sun and all other celestial light by a canopy of illusion which looks like the surrounding jungle, and which casts the Valley in perpetual night. The denizens of the Valley have a civilization derived from that of the Incas, filtered through the worship of their dark goddess. The Valley itself has developed a unique ecosystem adapted to its lightless conditions, and influenced by the presence of spirits from Inca folklore.

Again with assistance from helpful community members, I compiled this info into a PDF "sourcebooklet" and put it in the free file Downloads section of this website. Anyone curious can find it here.

In my two "Supermage" playtest campaigns, I created many of the supernatural/extradimensional realms of the CU such as the Congeries, mad patchwork realm of the dimesnional conqueror Skarn, and Babylon, the City of Man. IIRC the PC Artifex had CK: Babylon because he grew up and still spent much of his time there.

Some PCs also went to Manoa, a Muvia/Atlantean "lost city" in the jungle-clad mountains of Brazil. Except... In my campaign world there was no Mu or Atlantis. Something else was going on.

In my latest campaign, PCs raided the Hot Zone, a deadly subterranean "zoo" and "garden" created by the mad biologist villain Helix. I hope to send the PCs there again, as there's a lot more for them to discover.

Dean Shomshak

My GM sprung Mystic Mountain on us. It is a gateway to various other dimensions guarded by superhuman hillbillies in the Apslation Mountains. (I assume I mispelled Apalation). It is the home of a PC by the name of Deliverance, a hillbilly mystical brick.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I assumed Dean would chime in on this thread sooner or later. "Exotic location" and "Dean Shomshak" definitely belong in the same sentence.  :thumbup:

Flattering, but I think one of the other GMs in my gaming group topped me with the adventure that had our PCs fighting in, and against, a lake of sentient petroleum buried deep beneath the North Sea. "Special Environments" became sort of a theme for that campaign.

We also fought the alien Star Gods on/in their homeworld within the Gray Nebula, a planetoid made of the corpses of the miles-long corpses of the real Star Gods, who had passed echoes of their appearances, power and personalities to the space maggots that had fed on them. (Sort of a Jack Kirby homage, but much weirder.)

Dean Shomshak

For several years now, I've been working on developing the planet Ashraal, seat of the space-god tyrant Xarriel, the Champions Universe's Darkseid/Thanos homage. I hope to publish it one day through Hero Games' Hall of Champions imprint.

I admit my concept takes some inspiration from Darkseid and Apokolips, but I wanted to more deeply explore a theocratic society where the ruler is the actual god they worship; and a world that's been shaped by that god solely to support his ambitions of conquest.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

For several years now, I've been working on developing the planet Ashraal, seat of the space-god tyrant Xarriel, the Champions Universe's Darkseid/Thanos homage. I hope to publish it one day through Hero Games' Hall of Champions imprint.

I admit my concept takes some inspiration from Darkseid and Apokolips, but I wanted to more deeply explore a theocratic society where the ruler is the actual god they worship; and a world that's been shaped by that god solely to support his ambitions of conquest.

I did some brainstorming on Xarriel's Elete in Create A Villain thread. I love the idea that he can destroy and recreate any of the life forms he creates at will. (I don't know if that is canon or my own headcanon, but Darkside has been known to zap his own henchmen with his Omega Beams and disintegrate them, only to recreate them later when he needs them.)