Doubts about Absorption as a Defense

claudio

Hello, I'm new and I salute you,

I have a few questions about how absorption works as a defense.

1)Is it possible to add the lasting advantage to the absorption power having taken the resistant advantage?

2)Having Absorption as a resistant defense how exactly does it work? For example: i have 10pd resistant absorption and 10pd resistant protection, I take 25body or stun enter 5Body or stun and absorb only 5?

after these questions based on the answers I will surely ask others these, thank you in advance and I apologize if the English is unclear, I am not a mother tongue

Absorption is an adjustment power, and you can buy it with the delayed return rate advantage so it last longer.  How long it last will depend on how much of an advantage you purchase for it.

Absorption is applied after your normal defenses.  So, if you took 25 BODY and had 10 point of resistant defense you would take 5 BODY and have absorbed 10 BODY.     Absorption only works vs BODY but will reduce the STUN you take if purchased as defense.   Basically, if you buy it as acting as a defense it adds to your existing PD or ED for the attack you just absorbed.   

Thank you very much,

so first I apply my defenses, then I absorb with the power of Absorb resistent and the rest passes as damage body, do I understand that?

1)Is it possible to add the Hardened protection advantage to the absorption power having taken the resistant advantage? Sorry i I mistranslated, not lasting, but hardened protection

Absorption does not protect you from any of the damage it absorbs. It gains power from the attack, but you still suffer the damage that gets through your defenses.

You can buy an advantage called "Defensive Absorption" if your GM allows it that makes your absorb also act as defense.

For a +½ Advantage the BODY of Absorption counts as Normal PD (if Physical attacks are Absorbed) or Normal ED (if Energy attacks are Absorbed). For a +1 Advantage the defense is Resistant instead.

If you were to purchase this, you could also buy hardened on it if you choose.

One thing that might be helpful is to lay out the ordering applied to each class of defensive powers, as it clearly matters.  We have:

Damage Negation

Absorption

'standard' defenses (normal and resistant)

Damage Reduction

The one we do know is that DR is last.  And procedurally, it's easier to apply negation before standard defenses.

The most favorable route (and the one implied by Hugh):
--Determine Absorption amount

--Apply negation

--apply standard defenses;  include the amount absorbed above, if it's Defensive Absorption

--apply reduction

The least favorable would be Negation, Standard Defenses, Absorption, Reduction.  

There's also cases where I could see splitting things.  For example, with power armor where there's resistant protection bought OIF, and the Absorption is NOT...then the armor's soaking up BODY and leaving less for the Absorption to chew on.  BUT, this is clearly a major can of worms beyond what RAW can, or even should try to, handle.  So, I'm fine with just dealing with the simplest case:  where the powers are personal.  

I hadn't considered Negation, but I agree that the principal is the same.  BOD of the attack before it is reduced by any defenses feeds to absorption. 

I agree that the focus issue is an interesting question, but one that should be left for "special power customization" rather than any default RAW.  Maybe the armor does the Absorbing.  Maybe my personal resistant defense (a force field SFX, or a shield, for example) also keeps the BOD damage from reaching me.