Villain Bonus

Foxiekins

I've looked through the books, and found no guidelines to this...  How much of a Villain Bonus is needed for a Master Villain...  I remember something about this in earlier editions of the game, but in 6th edition, I can't find anything...  Can anyone point me to any guidelines I've missed...?

6 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

I've looked through the books, and found no guidelines to this...  How much of a Villain Bonus is needed for a Master Villain...  I remember something about this in earlier editions of the game, but in 6th edition, I can't find anything...  Can anyone point me to any guidelines I've missed...?

The Villain Bonus isn't determined until the last step of creation. It was there just to balance the points cost not any of the powers or abilities of the NPC. You just took the difference.  Real Points-(Base Points + Disadvantages)= Villain Bonus. Later editions just gave the villains Experience Points instead.

2 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

Right...  So is there a guideline on how many extra points to give to match a villain against multiple heroes...?

Not really, that's just a matter of GM feel. I can write a hyper-efficient character that can trash a team on the same points they're based off or a super completist skill/side power monster that is twice as expensive and has no chance. Write the villain, do some test combats and tweak as you feel necessary.

There some factors that will help you but the main factor is the degree of optimization in the villain writeup compared to the team's. The wider the differences in either direction, the more the point totals are skewed.

Villain Bonus is purely an accounting number, a catch-all Disadvantage to make the points balance. It can't even be determined until after the character is written. Later editions don't use it and just give the villains experience if they bother at all. Hero Designer handles it in this way. You start with a set amount of Base Points + Disadvantages but you can freely exceed that. Then you add the shortfall to Experience Earned to eliminate the red number.

Just write your villain. If they're too powerful or too weak, mark it in the GM oopsie column, learn from the post mortem and move on to the next session as you can. 

Another aspect is that many of the major villains have some really big Summons, or Followers, where the intent is that's what the master villain throws at the party.  They don't confront him directly.  Can't remember which, but one of the major villains has 2-3 different types of summons for different things.  No one person can be a world-dominating tyrant without a minion army.  They also tend to have a dozen different attack powers...NOT all of which are in an MP, for example.  Even if they are, the slot costs won't be cheap.  The MP may be big enough to use 2 attack powers at once, too.  And as Grail said, efficiency is not a design principle.

What makes a master villain is more than just points.   All it takes to make a villain that can stand up to multiple heroes in combat is a few points of speed and some extra defenses.   That is not what makes the character a master villain.

A master villain is a character that can control the situation.   This can be done many different ways.  Some master villains do it through powers; others may use followers and contacts: other through skills.  The best of them uses all of the above.  In some cases, the master villain could even be fewer points than the players, although that is rarely the case. If you really want to make the master villain memorable look at the weakness of the players characters. Not necessarily the combat weakness, but rather the other weakness of the characters.