Possible to use Flash as a means to explain ear-splitting pain

Jujitsuguy

Question

In my campaign, I have a character that has a portable AI that is capable to do visual and audial illusions.

In one scenario, there are a pack of wolves attacking the team and the player doesn't want to kill the wolves but drive them away.  I entertained an unspoken rule to say that you can cause an Ultrasonic Ear-Splitting pain in an AoE that encompasses a cavern they are all in with an exit.

The player is programming his AI to release an Ultrasonic-level, high amplitude sound, which would cause pain to the Wolves.  Instead of Stun, which would Knock someone out, this is a sound that would cause them discomfort, in which they would need to roll an EGO (or PRE) roll to stay and fight at a -1 (or -2).  If they fail, they would run away.

Instead of having it rolled as damage, I figured it could be treated as a form of Flash, that lasts so long, which causes a -1 on all activities the Wolves attempt if they pass their EGO(PRE) roll.

I don't seem to know where in the rules to look into this to see if this makes sense as per RAR, but I figured this is a good alternative to answer the effect.

Any thoughts/mods/suggestions on this?

Thanks all ahead of time...

Jujitsuguy aka Chuck D.

1 answer to this question

I recommend posting this in the HERO System Discussion forum, as it's really a "how to build" question more than a rules question. You can have the special effect be "ear-splitting pain" regardless of which game mechanic you use to build it.  You'll undoubtedly get other suggestions in the forum as well, but from your description of what you want, I would probably have the base Power be either Mind Control (one command - get away from that awful noise), which the wolves would of course resist with their EGO, or Change Environment (built with penalties to CVs, hearing PER rolls, maybe INT and Tactics rolls, etc., whatever you want the effect to do).