How to Build a (Morphin) Power Ranger? (and my work so far)

SteelBraxus

Hello,

Recently, I purchased the Power Ranger RPG, and I'm working on converting the setting to the HERO System. The mechanics of the Power Ranger RPG (using 'Essence 20') are just not satisfying me, and so I've decided to make the effort to convert the flavor of it into HERO.

Below, you'll see what I think to be a fairly well detailed description of how I would like the basic 'Morphing' mechanic to work. All the PCs will be doing this on a regular basis, so it's important to me that I get this core aspect correct before I move on to what I consider the 'easier' aspects of conversion of the setting. If you have time, I'd love to see your thoughts about how to create this in the HERO System. I'm specifically having issues with the Power Morpher, and how to make it not an OAF while the Ranger is Morphed (since it more or less becomes fused their Morphin Armor while they are Morphed). Anyway, your thoughts and are appreciated! Any advice from the experts would be greatly helpful.

Power Morpher

A Power Morpher is a hi-tech device about the size of a smartphone that has a slot on the back of it so it can easily fit onto a user’s belt strap. The Power Morpher typically contains a Power Coin, which it displays prominently in its center. A Power Morpher’s primary purpose is to channel the power of Power Coin to allow the user to Morph. A Power Morpher without a Power Coin is essentially useless. If a Power Coin is the engine of a vehicle, the Power Morpher is the vehicle itself.

Zeo Cell

Aside from harnessing the power of a Power Coin, a Power Morpher also contains a Zeo Cell (Endurance Reserve), which is a battery that fuels the Power Morpher while it harnesses the power of the Power Coin. Zeo Cells have limited energy, and are slowly recharged as long as they are within the vicinity (several miles) of a sufficiently large Zeo Crystal.

Power Coin

A Power Coin is a highly refined piece of Zeo Crystal which takes an incredible amount of time and effort to produce. Each Power Coin is linked to (and thus bears a design based on) a specific Zord. The wielder of a Power Coin feels an innate connection to the Zord their Power Coin is based on. If the Power Morpher is the vehicle, the Power Coin is the vehicle’s engine.

Morphing

Morphing is a Full Phase Action (Extra Action [Full Phase; -1]) in which the user thrusts their Power Morpher (OAF; -1) forward with both hands (Gestures; -½) while calling out the name of their Dinozord (Incantations; -¼). The moment the user Morphs their Power Morpher immediately fuses to the belt of their newly-formed suit of Morphin Armor (see below).

While Morphed, the user is enveloped in a stylized, form-fitting suit of Morphin Armor that not only protects them from harm (Resistant Defense [15 PD/15 ED]) but also protects their visual and auditory senses with a Dinozord-esque helmet (Sight Group & Hearing Group Flash Defense [10 points each]). The Morphed individual also experiences some vastly increased Characteristics (+24 STR, +12 DEX, +12 CON, +4 OCV, +4 DCV, +1 SPD, +5 PD, +2 ED, +7 REC, +25 END, +4 BODY, +22 STUN) and jumping ability (Leaping +20m, No Gravity Penalty [+½]) as a result.

Finally, while Morphed, the user gains access to weaponry. Immediately upon Morphing a Blade Blaster appears holstered on the user’s hip. Additionally, the user now gains access to their specific and iconic Power Weapon(s). For most Power Rangers, this is a single unique weapon (a Power Sword), but for some, it can be a pair of weapons (Power Daggers). The user can summon their unique Power Weapon(s) to their hand(s) out of a pocket dimension as a Half Phase Action. When the user becomes Unmorphed, their Power Weapon immediately returns to its pocket dimension.