Winter Holidays 2022!

5 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Kudos for including Fairytale of New York and Christmas Wrapping.

But no Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade ? No I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday by Wizzard ? No White Christmas by Bing Crosby ?

No Do they Know It's Christmas by Band Aid ? No Last Christmas by Wham ? No December will be Magic Again by Kate Bush ?

I can understand no Mariah Carey, Cliff Richard, Chris Rea, The Wombles, Showaddywaddy, Whitney Houston, Chris de Burgh, Kelly Clarkson, Elton John, Paul McCartney or John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

But still

You are, of course, welcome to add options :)

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

That didn't arise, but something else came up at one point that was fairly similar.

We were all state employees, working at a federal site, under various federal contracts.  They'd put together a Thanksgiving lunch for everyone...free food, no argument there.  OK.  So this one year, HR people were also there...and said, ok everyone, since we have you all here, let's do a team building exercise!!!  

Yeah, right.  I was crusty even then.  Nope, not interested.  I ignored it.

Got some dirty looks from the HR people, but the heck with them.  Did.  Not.  Care.  Far as I was concerned, it was coercive (we came from multiple sites, in our group's case...from about 8-9 miles away, so leaving was Not an Option) and the whole lunch became false pretenses for whatever they wanted from us now.  

Good news is, firing a state employee is generally harder...and I'm pretty sure my boss at the time was like...well, whatever man.  

A downside to this time of year is when something gets mailed to you, it can have....issues....  First expected delivery date was yesterday, the 6th, and had it traveled properly?  It would've.  The side trip to Missouri???  Impossible, NO clue where that came from.  The circuit from Denver to Illinois, back to Denver, is barely possible, if a palette was incorrectly routed onto a flight, then recognized and returned on the same plane.  But Colorado Springs to Denver to Aurora...huh?  And Dallas to San Antonio...why?  In most cases it'll just go straight from Dallas to El Paso. 

Dec 07   
1:20 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

Dec 06   
11:42 pm
DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER

Dec 06   
9:59 am
Departed USPS Facility
AURORA,CO 80018

Dec 06   
9:48 am
ST LOUIS MO PACKAGE SORTING CENTER

Dec 06   
9:00 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
AURORA,CO 80018

Dec 06   
8:29 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
DENVER CO DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Dec 06   
6:21 am
CHAMPAIGN IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Dec 06   
4:22 am

Dec 05   
3:15 pm

Dec 05   
3:10 am
COLORADO SPRINGS CO DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Dec 04   
In Transit to Next Facility

Dec 03   
8:32 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
KANSAS CITY KS NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Dec 03   
4:13 pm
USPS in possession of item
OLATHE,KS 66061

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

A downside to this time of year is when something gets mailed to you, it can have....issues....  First expected delivery date was yesterday, the 6th, and had it traveled properly?  It would've.  The side trip to Missouri???  Impossible, NO clue where that came from.  The circuit from Denver to Illinois, back to Denver, is barely possible, if a palette was incorrectly routed onto a flight, then recognized and returned on the same plane.  But Colorado Springs to Denver to Aurora...huh?  And Dallas to San Antonio...why?  In most cases it'll just go straight from Dallas to El Paso. 

One time I was taking a flight, and when I arrived at the airport to check my bags, I told the guy at the check-in desk, "I'm flying to Denver.  I want this suitcase to go to Boston, this one to go to LA, and that one to go to Dallas."

He said, "I'm sorry, we can't do that."

I replied, "Why not?  That's what happened last time I flew."

You realize of course, that the critical error was checking bags.  I think I flew up at Christmas to visit my mom...a few times, I'm not sure how many.  Flying at Christmas is THE WORST.  Flying into Denver...bleah!! Busy, busy, busy with snowbirds.  Along with the holiday traffic.  EVERYONE seemingly had 9 bajillion boxes, bags, and what-have-you's to give, or that they got, going home, so overhead space was non-existent.  It says a lot that the last several times I did it, I drove...650-700 miles, in winter, cutting through or along mountains for much of the trip.  And I don't like driving particularly.  

I probably checked bags on a few occasions.  I think I only had baggage issues when I got *home*...fortunately.

Pretty sure I've flown twice since 9/11.  Once to Vegas, once to Denver.  The rules, the scheduling issues, the *cost* just got too high.  

Anyone got any Evils Of Holiday Travels tales to share?  Don't be shy, we'll laugh with you. 🙄

14 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

One time I was taking a flight, and when I arrived at the airport to check my bags, I told the guy at the check-in desk, "I'm flying to Denver.  I want this suitcase to go to Boston, this one to go to LA, and that one to go to Dallas."

He said, "I'm sorry, we can't do that."

I replied, "Why not?  That's what happened last time I flew."

Recently people have been solving this issue with AirTags.