Castle of Gallon

assault

This is a thought experiment.

Assume you are in a game.

Gallon/Galon (the spelling isn't standardized) is a small castle in a mediaeval style setting.

It consists of a keep, a surrounding wall, a modest gatehouse and some outbuildings (inside the wall).

Who is your character, what are they doing there and what do they want?

Your options are pretty much whatever you want, although you should stay within mediaeval-ish fantasy parameters.

Try to remain compatible with previous posters.

You can of course ask for clarifications, but things are pretty open.

My name is Sebastian Croix, fifth and youngest child of Duchess Alexandra Croix. Having fought in the final two years of the Galon-Polg war, returning to the tedious life of a noble nobody was unacceptable. So, I didn’t return. 

Instead, I gathered fourteen loyal soldiers who also had little to return home to and we ventured into the Hangorian Foothills just beyond the Galon border. After some time, we found what I was looking for - The keep of Zangris the Exile. 

History Lesson

========================
About 300 years, Count Pol Zangris possessed a gift that whenever he gazed upon another person he could receive visions of their future. People went to him - all wanting to know their fate. Eventually, the King and Queen summoned Zangris to the palace.  After learning their future, the Queen stripped Count Zangris of his titles and exiled him from Galon.

Zangris, along with his family, friends, and followers retreated to the Hangorian Foothills. They never returned to Galon, but rumors spread about their community and the Castle of Zangaris the Exile.

=========================
Back to the Story

The keep lay in ruin, overgrown with vines and trees that pushed aside the chiseled stone. Gaining entrance to the courtyard, the keep appeared in a similar state. Ordering the men to spread out and search in groups of three, I took two men with me into the keep. 

The interior of the keep was much less ruined and possessed the standard furnishings one would expect. Then a spirit appeared to me (and only me). The spirit was not hostile and said it was expecting me. It was the spirit of Zangris. 

I befriended the spirit and over the next few months, Zangris told me of my fate while my men cleared the encroaching vegetation and restored the castle. I am now lord of this castle. Armed with the knowledge of my future and with the help of my spirit companion, there is much work to do.

My name truly is Asperlis Quintillion,  though most know me by my more common monacure  - Asp. I don't perform anything fancy,  just maintain the place's foodstuffs,  treasury,  similar items.  While I don't have any fancy combat abilities,  if I sense that anything is off with what I am guarding,  I get in a state that even most goliaths hate dealing with. 

11 hours ago, Urlord said:

About 300 years, Count Pol Zangris

Eventually, the King and Queen

Interesting. So at one point, the small castle of Gallon was the centre of a kingdom large enough to have at least one Count subordinate to it.

It's still powerful enough to have waged a multi-year war.

That's pretty much the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Alain Duval, a senior man-at-arms. Smart and lazy, so any task he does will be done efficiently. Hates hot weather.  Often drills the other men, as his combat experience informed aaa him that being prepared for the worst has great benefits. Expects the worst from and news coming through the gate from the outside world, though is always looking for such information.  Speaks three languages and is a passable mimic. Semiliterate. Very loyal to His Grace, and keeps few secrets from him.  Often found in the gate house. Not fat but a bit thick, as he enjoys his comforts, and he looks a bit rough, unless he need to polish up so as not to embarrass His Grace. He’s not a gossip but does like to talk. 

As a fighter he is pretty strong. Can fight sword and board, but prefers either a long spear, or a heavy crossbow from behind a crenelation. Fighting fair is for chumps. Teaches that to his men. Has above average endurance, and gets by in about 4 hours of sleep. Every so often he will take a few men and take a walk outside the walls to check on the local environment ( and avoid some paperwork or housekeeping chore). He has been with His Grace since the border troubles, years ago.

Thickset man of rural peasant stock, salt & pepper hair, gray eyes and a potato shaped nose, he’s shaven, but it isn’t a clean shave. He wears a gambesson over his tunic, and a padded hat that he can put a chain coif, and brimmed infantry helmet over at a moment’s notice.