WWYCD: The Scrooge Gambit

steriaca

It's a cold December night, and your character is visited by four spirits (one to announce that your going to be visited, and three to drive some sort of message or another). If your character can detect magic or undead or fey they do. But none of the spirits detect as evil.

What will your character do?

For a real challenge, the Spirits of Christmas could try to reform the likes of Dr. Destroyer, Black Paladin or another major supervillain. Even Foxbat might be fun too.

I would pay money to be able to watch them try. Can you imagine one of those major baddies going through a Scrooging?

And just imagine if the Spirits succeeded?

How about if one or more heroic, magic-based characters got roped into being among the Spirits? It would allow a rare insight into the haunted character’s past and could make for some great roleplaying in a session.

Martin Power:

Complain about lost sleep, try to convince each spirit that they have the wrong guy.  Again. 

Maximum:

"Ooh!  I know this one!" And sit back and enjoy the ride.

Fury:

Complain about the unnatural cold of earth'a winter season.

The Good Guy:

Yeah; I know, but it's a greater good kind of thing.  An unvisited grave is a sacrifice I am willing to make, so long as NASA and the werewolves are gone forever.

Eel rubs his forehead, torn about this whole thing. On one hand, mystics give him the heebie jeebies, on the other, southern manners means he has to offer each spirit at least a drink and a small meal. He'll try to get his friend Mayo (Who is a mystic) on speed dial for help  sure the spirits got the wrong house.

Pinprick informs them he's got no time for visitations from moral guardians from the Winter King and buzz off before he gets pointy. He's got ghost busting arrows and he is not afraid to use them! This is, largely, a bluff, as he doesn't have the heart to risk his son not having a nice Christmas and arrowing yuletide spirits willy nilly might have fall out.

Slime is full of questions about this human mythology . Is this lesson going to end up with him finding out the fast paced city life wasn't for him and he'll be far happier in a small town with a local who turns out to be the ideal mate who teaches him about what's really important? while at the same time happens to be particularly good looking and well off? He finds humans disgusting aesthetically speaking, but he has watched Hallmark movies before and it seems to be a recurring theme.

Sir Magnus would be a wreck, especially if they toured his past. and might jump into the grave at the end and save everyone the trouble. Upon waking in the morning, he would be even more surly and bitter.

THunderbird (THe last Active Champions character I played), He would be puzzled at the visits, as he keeps Christmas Merry, especially for his wife, but he would go along with it, suspiciously.

Captain Leonidas "Leo" VanDyne (recent Traveller Character).  He would vaguely remember the story, but the visitations to him would seem like a psychic test, and he would not resist, but try to see who Really is behind this Psychic "show".

• 2 months later...

Jrska: I really don't think any attempt to reform her will go the way the spirits hope. She'd enjoy the highlight reel of her life too much, reject anything that might actually give her pause, and strengthen her resolve to Do It All More And Harder

Vitus: That would get ugly fast. Vitus would not react well to the suggestion that his current angry misery is entirely the result of his own life choices. 

Hero Shrew wouldn't take Christmas Past well. He was born in a cage. Assuming that Spirit takes the hint and leaves before it gets its head punched off, he'd probably use the Present to come up with a nice shopping list for his friends and acquaintances, and the Future might actually give him a much-needed prod to be more thoughtful in future. 

Zero would probably be too paranoid that somebody knows his secret identity for any life lesson to actually sink in. 

Ripper K would demand a version with Muppets.

Felix 'Bubbles' Bethke would be more interested in how this spirit summoning was actually done, although the archetypes its drawing on are obvious enough. After that he'd probably want to figure out why somebody sicced it on him. Doesn't seem a very effective way to remove a shadowrunner from play  

Terzo Porcinus: Would probably feel considerable regret that he hasn't acted for the good of Kintargo before now, and his rather closeted private life might be the source of some pain, but a glimpse of how the rebellion will go will be worth it. Hopefully it isn't his head on a pike somewhere as a traitor. 

Gonno hasn't lived long enough or had any effects beyond his village to interest any Yuletide spirits. The only thing that might concern him is how the life of his rival develops - if it continues on its current path things might get very bad. Possibly he'll need to steer them onto a healthier one rather than just ignore them.

ROVER might accidentally shoot them a few times but the only lasting result i can see is the robot getting a few seasonal MIDI files and flashing Christmas lights installed during his next upgrade. Set on an annual timer, of course. 

Queensfist: Ooh, this is so exciting! Ii think I'm supposed to burn joss sticks for the ghosts? I texted Auntie Jen and . . Oh, she's texted back already. Joss sticks, Moon, and . . . I haven't learned these characters yet."

Demigoblin: "Here. Okay, they're just classical. It says, "Hi, Bruce: Please tell Charlotte that she needs to offer lucky money to the spirits, and she has a packet in the bottom drawer of her Taylor Swift shrine."

Queensfist: "Did she --I never --How did she know? --It's not a shrine, it's a bureau! Anyone want to help out with the offering?"

Maid of Gold: [Whispering] "It's totally a shrine."

Fairchild: "First rule of messing with spirits is you don't mess with spirits unless you know what you're doing. Or, if you're too lazy to do your homework, you copy off someone who does. I'd like to say that that's me, but I didn't do the homework, either. You're on your own, girl."

Carnadine: "Ooh, they're from the future. That's like, the hood! Well, not my hood, 'cuz they're pretty chipper for spirits from my dark, postapocalyptic future, where there is only Muppet Christmas Carol. Should I say "dark"? It's pretty loaded. I mean, it's okay for me to say it, but. . . Anyway, we should probably find out how to avoid whatever apocalypse is about to happen this time. And then fix it with SCIENCE!"

Twelve: "Magic is only a bougie mystification of science to serve the interests of the  oligarchy . . . Gotcha!"

Maid of Gold: "Hey! I was just going to give you the tiniest little wedgie. So what's your bright idea?"

Twelve: "Work with good people to make the world a better place? Or is that not enough snark for you, Dora? Spirits, I mean, not people. I mean, spirits are people, too!"

Demogoblin: "I'll help you with the offering, Charlotte."

Maid of Gold: [Eyeroll].