2022 End Of Year Update

Jason S.Walters

Greetings fellow HERO System fans! I know these updates should happen more often; and I’ll try to improve upon that. But for now, here’s what’s going on with Hero Games and the HERO System at the end of 2022.

1) First of all, if you haven’t joined our Patreon account (https://www.patreon.com/hero_games), please consider doing so. By becoming patron you will not only help fund the creation of of new books, but also gain the ability to review and comment upon unreleased material before it becomes available to the public. Right now we have a little more than fifty patrons; but I envision Hero Games having more like one hundred in 2023. Then we would be really “cooking with gas,” in terms of getting manuscripts turned into books more expediently.

And I really prefer Patreon for Hero Games as a crowdfunding method over Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, or any of the other platforms. Though that is admittedly a personal preference.

2) Have you seen our Champions Complete bundle on Roll20 (https://roll20.net/)? It has everything you need to play Champions with your friends online, including all of the material from Champions Complete and Champions Begins usable in Roll20.

3) Carlos and I got in a proof for Thomas Stadley’s new champions universe organization book Institute For Human Advancement: Pride & Prejudice, and there were some issues. So we’ve made some changes, resubmitted it, and I have a new proof on the way to me right now. If everything checks out, we should have that book available in the Hero Games store, DriveThruRPG, Amazon, Indie Press Revolution, and at a game store near you.

4) With Christopher Hackler’s Gaslight: Horror & Heroism in the Victorian Era having been through the Patreon account, Carlos and I have begin editing and laying it out. We’ll be presenting finished chapters on Patreon before taking it to print early next year.

5) Steven Otte’s Heroes In A Hurry is currently being run through the account. It is in nearly final form, and will go straight to press afterward.

6) Michael Satran’s final work Imperial Throne has been reviewed by fans on the Patreon account, and the response has been quite positive. Carlos and I will begin work on that when we’re done with Gaslight.

7) We will continue to put out chapters from renowned game designer Scott Bennie’s final novel The Last Orc, at which point I’ll copy edit it in preparation for publication sometime in 2023.

8. We’re going to start putting up chapters of Phil Guinchard’s Gemini System soon. It’s a genre-agnostic game heavily influenced by the Hero System and OpenD6; and, like Champions Now, is the sort of experiment we’d like for you to see.

That’s all I can think of here at the end of 2022. As always, if you have a Hero Games manuscript, email me at jason@herogames.com and let me know.

- Jason Walters, Publisher

18 hours ago, Jason S.Walters said:

Greetings fellow HERO System fans! I know these updates should happen more often; and I’ll try to improve upon that. But for now, here’s what’s going on with Hero Games and the HERO System at the end of 2022.

1) First of all, if you haven’t joined our Patreon account (https://www.patreon.com/hero_games), please consider doing so. By becoming patron you will not only help fund the creation of of new books, but also gain the ability to review and comment upon unreleased material before it becomes available to the public. Right now we have a little more than fifty patrons; but I envision Hero Games having more like one hundred in 2023. Then we would be really “cooking with gas,” in terms of getting manuscripts turned into books more expediently.

And I really prefer Patreon for Hero Games as a crowdfunding method over Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, or any of the other platforms. Though that is admittedly a personal preference.

2) Have you seen our Champions Complete bundle on Roll20 (https://roll20.net/)? It has everything you need to play Champions with your friends online, including all of the material from Champions Complete and Champions Begins usable in Roll20.

3) Carlos and I got in a proof for Thomas Stadley’s new champions universe organization book Institute For Human Advancement: Pride & Prejudice, and there were some issues. So we’ve made some changes, resubmitted it, and I have a new proof on the way to me right now. If everything checks out, we should have that book available in the Hero Games store, DriveThruRPG, Amazon, Indie Press Revolution, and at a game store near you.

4) With Christopher Hackler’s Gaslight: Horror & Heroism in the Victorian Era having been through the Patreon account, Carlos and I have begin editing and laying it out. We’ll be presenting finished chapters on Patreon before taking it to print early next year.

5) Steven Otte’s Heroes In A Hurry is currently being run through the account. It is in nearly final form, and will go straight to press afterward.

6) Michael Satran’s final work Imperial Throne has been reviewed by fans on the Patreon account, and the response has been quite positive. Carlos and I will begin work on that when we’re done with Gaslight.

7) We will continue to put out chapters from renowned game designer Scott Bennie’s final novel The Last Orc, at which point I’ll copy edit it in preparation for publication sometime in 2023.

8. We’re going to start putting up chapters of Phil Guinchard’s Gemini System soon. It’s a genre-agnostic game heavily influenced by the Hero System and OpenD6; and, like Champions Now, is the sort of experiment we’d like for you to see.

That’s all I can think of here at the end of 2022. As always, if you have a Hero Games manuscript, email me at jason@herogames.com and let me know.

- Jason Walters, Publisher

Been waiting for the IHA book for a long time. :thumbup:

BTW if an ARGENT book ever comes up, feel free to use my research via my sig link. I'd be happy to consult further on it, gratis. :yes:

This all sounds great. I cant wait to add books to my Hero shelf. I really enjoyed Gaslight and Imperial Throne on patreon. You recently posted a car from Hero Vehicles on Patreon. I would love to see this as full book and would buy it in second. I have to say I realy like that your doing Patreon it enables me to feel like Im giving back to a game I love and the weekly updates keeps me in a Hero mood.

Yes. We need ARGENT. Feel free to use my idea of "Salesperson" agents. Strange guys in black suits and sunglasses (wearable at night by the way), hologram projecting watches and a "samples" briefcase with an excuse for a VVP and Object Creation.

Question: if the Salesperson gives out samples, do they need to put Usable By Others on each object they pull from the briefcase?

Humm...

Been thinking about Gaslight (bka Victorian Hero), and been watching Moriarty the Patriot. So, are we going to get writeups of...

Sherlock Holmes and Doctor John Watson?

Professor James Moriarty and Cornel Sebastian Moeran?

Jack the Ripper?

Arsen Lupin?

Springheal Jack?

Or should we expect a separate book for Victorian Dramatic Personal?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 5:09 PM, steriaca said:

Humm...

Been thinking about Gaslight (bka Victorian Hero), and been watching Moriarty the Patriot. So, are we going to get writeups of...

Sherlock Holmes and Doctor John Watson?

Professor James Moriarty and Cornel Sebastian Moeran?

Jack the Ripper?

Arsen Lupin?

Springheal Jack?

Or should we expect a separate book for Victorian Dramatic Personal?

Hey, glad you were thinking about Gaslight: Horror and Heroics in the Victorian Era. Holmes, Watson, Thomas Carnacki, Sping-Heeled Jack, Count Dracula, Renfield, Van Helsing, Dorian Gray, Victor Frankenstein, Frankenstein’s monster, Invisible Man, Captain Nemo & the Nautilus,  Nemo, Tarzan, The Time Traveller, Jekyll and Hyde (a literary version and a Hollywoodized version), Dr. Moreau, Morlocks, Beast Men, afanc, banshees, mummies, vampires, seances, gadgetry, rules for Madness & an Alienist talent to correct it. Most of the write-ups follow their literary performances in exacting detail up to the point that was available for use, crafted page by page. There is a lot more in the book, some history and important figures and how your characters may interact with that. London is described as a campaign setting with some spookier places detailed. I’m the author, feel free to ask away. 

2 hours ago, Khymeria said:

Hey, glad you were thinking about Gaslight: Horror and Heroics in the Victorian Era. Holmes, Watson, Thomas Carnacki, Sping-Heeled Jack, Count Dracula, Renfield, Van Helsing, Dorian Gray, Victor Frankenstein, Frankenstein’s monster, Invisible Man, Captain Nemo & the Nautilus,  Nemo, Tarzan, The Time Traveller, Jekyll and Hyde (a literary version and a Hollywoodized version), Dr. Moreau, Morlocks, Beast Men, afanc, banshees, mummies, vampires, seances, gadgetry, rules for Madness & an Alienist talent to correct it. Most of the write-ups follow their literary performances in exacting detail up to the point that was available for use, crafted page by page. There is a lot more in the book, some history and important figures and how your characters may interact with that. London is described as a campaign setting with some spookier places detailed. I’m the author, feel free to ask away. 

While Lupin is French, I'm sure there is room for at least someone with the gentleman thief character in it.

I recommend a mention of Moriarty the Patriot and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood in the source section. I don't expect to see a writeup on Jonathan Joestar, but a "square jawed participant of foriegn and exotic fisticuffs" might be mentioned somewhere. Especially if it is rumored that he was but the beginning of a heroic legacy. 

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

While Lupin is French, I'm sure there is room for at least someone with the gentleman thief character in it.

It fits hand in hand with Western Hero, so it’s possible if well received some elements could be added to a follow-up. I had to drop some other “world” ideas that I had considered to keep the page count reasonable and this volume focused. Lupin was one that I set aside for the moment. 

1 hour ago, Khymeria said:

It fits hand in hand with Western Hero, so it’s possible if well received some elements could be added to a follow-up. I had to drop some other “world” ideas that I had considered to keep the page count reasonable and this volume focused. Lupin was one that I set aside for the moment. 

Understandable. I haven't read enough Lupin the 1st to do a real writeup of him. But I can expect him having tons of thief skills and high class skills.

What I can truly say correctly is that he is definitely not like Lupin the 3rd.

Well, I honestly don't know who else to add except Professor James Moriarty and his henchman sniper. I'm sure there is more. Prehaps a "Little Nellie" melodrama damsel type with a twist. Maybe a Sargent Prestion type royal Mountie?

On 11/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Jason S.Walters said:

I remember talking with him about this under the title The Raiders of the Last Orc.

• 3 months later...