Darren Watts In Hospital

Steve Long

Unfortunately we have some terrible news to report. Darren Watts, who used to be one of our business partners in DOJ Inc./Hero Games and has also worked for many other companies in the RPG industry, suffered a very serious heart attack last Thursday (December 22, 2022). It appears that his brain was without oxygen for an as yet unknown period.

Darren's currently under sedation at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. While he isn't conscious, his wife Diane tells me he can receive visitors.

We'll keep the forum posted as the situation warrants. In the meantime, please keep Darren in your thoughts and prayers.

My own interactions with Darren were infrequent, but always a pleasure. Many years ago I engaged in a defense of Hero System on the then-hostile RPGnet forums, by posting links to many of the diverse fan-created Hero websites, showing what Hero was capable of and what its players had done with it. Darren mailed me a coffee mug with Hero stats on it, as a thank-you.

Darren was younger than me, and should have had decades more to enjoy and to contribute to all of our enjoyment. But this game is one monument to his life, and we honor him every time we play it.

EDIT: BTW I posted news of Darren's passing on the forums for Champions Online. I thought they should know about one of the major creators of the world they play in.