Help me create a Champions campaign using only material from supers games.

dean day

All right, here are 4E and 5E write-ups for VOICE, posted to the Hero forums in the past. These include updates and expansions for the various characters from the adventure, as well as one additional VOICE villain from Villainy Unbound; plus additional villains created by VOICE of Doom author Steve Perrin, which expand the potential resources of the group. Much of this material was written and posted by Steve, but other parties also contributed. Most of the original villains are given two or more interpretations.

VOICE.zip

Since we're discussing campaign creation, I'll be immodest enough to post a link to the thread I did about my own Champions campaign setting, the Millennium Universe. I am not sure how useful this is, since I create most of my own material, but it's an example of how someone else did it.

https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/94135-millennium-universe-overview/

Some things here you probably should *not* do, like the timeline. It amused me to create it, but I have never seen a setting timeline that was any use to players or GMs. As Duke Bushido says, most players *do not care.* I am not sure a timeline is even useful to GMs, as a way to keep the world internally consistent. Because players probably aren't paying attention closely enough to notice any inconsistencies.

A lot of this is just for my own amusement. I also hoe that a few of the dossiers helped players get a feel for the setting. I now think that illustrative anecdotes are more helpful than facts and figures about how many supers are in the world, or things like that. My players know there are other supers in the world, heroes and villains; but most of them will never need to be described. Much of the Millennium Universe remains very sketchy -- just brief notes about things that might be interesting to develop later, as needed.

Dean Shomshak

For my part, I've gotten quite a few story and character ideas from the CU timeline; but I may be atypical in that my greatest pleasure isn't derived from creating everything myself, making it all original. I most enjoy looking at what's already there and finding connections, extrapolating from precedents, mining the material for untapped potential. Maybe my instincts are those of a researcher more than a creator, although I do enjoy creation; but I prefer to build upon an existing solid foundation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I have been up to my neck in it at work last couple of weeks, so have not been able to continue with the thread> i have some more time now so I will continue to start creating my campaign I will start a new thread for actual characters, groups and background and keep this thread for questions and feedback. Thank you for all your contributions so far.

What are the rules for posting Hero Designer character sheets to the forum? does it depend if they are from previous editions or games?

On 12/30/2022 at 9:57 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Your call, of course, but no too long ago, I did am informal pill in the subject, and the comments were quite enlightening.  It may help you decide what is right for you.  I had intended to link it, but using the search function on this phone is beyond infuriating.  If I remember correctly, it was titled "it's all about location."  (Weirdly, it popped right up a week or so ago while I was searching for something completely unrelated.)  

That is my preference as well, but we explained our personal thoughts in the above-mentioned thread.

Gonna level with you: even though (and I really can't say that there is no chance that it might be because of) the Silver Age Sentinels setting / universe is far less developed than the Champions universe, there is no part of it that  I don't like far more  than any of the published Champions settings from any edition.  I tend to fell the same,way about the "title characters" of SAS and Champions as well.  Now that is not to say that I _dislike_ the published Champions stuff (except the 4e "title character" Champions roster).

That is what had me a little stoked about your "use everyrhing from everywhere" setting idea:  sweet!  Dump Destroyer; replace with Kruzriter (yeah; I know that is spelled wrong.  After a full minute, it is what autocorrect and I came to agree on), and other such swaps.

That's really up to you, but ultimately: why?  Why does a city have to be replaced?  You can have New York and Hudson City.

I wont get too deep into all that, because there is no right or wrong there; you are building a world, and the only way it will be right is if it is built the way you want it.  Let Vibora Bay replace New Dehli if you want.

Just as an example:

My supers setting is Campaign City.  We have been gaming in Campaign City since the first edition.  It is located on the shores of Lake Campaign (you have to understand it was named after a long-running joke), one of the Great Lakes.

So let's do some simple math:  2022 minus 1980 is forty-two years of never once having been asked by any player which Great Lake was replaced, or if this is a new one, of it CC was replacing Chicago-  I havent ever even,been asked if we were Americans or Canadians.

Not one time.

I know a lot of people just arent happy withiut a fully-mapped city.  I have never been asked to map out more rhan a small neighborhood, ever.  With the advent of getting online in the 90s, I have image grabbed sections of more cities than I have ever been asked to use.  No one has ever cared that most of the larger maps (that is, the higher ariel views that were packed with roads) couldnt possibly fit together into a cohesive city.

Why?  I have never had a group care to know more than what was around them at the moment, and where they were in relation to regular landmarks (you are about a dozen blocks from the college, and four miles South of the museum.  A couple of blocks the financial district over here (makes vague circle,on battle map) and you'll be in the high-rent part of the waterfront).

All they ever really want to know is how much are to canvass, how fast they can fly, how much running room they have, and how far can they spread a battle.  So long as I can provide them these details on command, they have never once wanted or even shown interest in a road map of Campaign County or even just the city or even a single district within it.)

The only recurring "road map" anyone has ever insisted on was Daedelus Park, to include _some,of the roads around it and that part of the financial district into which Tree grows.

Now, all that being said, let me also say this:

You are getring some solid world building advice above.  Everyone is making great points, especially if you are putting together something for publication.  It is rock solid advice.

I have never, in any game or genre, done any of it.  Sure, early on, I though I _had- to so all this work: vreating Gods and religions and economies and the patterns of global trade and multi-layered political maneuvering-

And it disnt take very long to figure out that the players  straight up _do not care_.  They want to know about the look and feel of the world, the tone of the campaign, there particular power level, and hoe it compares to Joe Onthestreet and how it compares to the most powerful person in your campaign world.  Seriously: they dont care how many NPC supers arw out there beyond "they are pretty rare" or "it's not uncommon: it seems,every big city has four or five heroes and a couple dozen villains", and a way to subjectively determine their current power level.

Campaign City grew initially from "you guys are in a big city- like a major metropolis, giant buildings New York style.  There are dive costumed,figures flying at you."

Seriously.  That is how it started.  We read the rules, we wanted to play _right now_ and the GM had _nothing_.  We had all,just met over the previous two or three weeks  as he was trying to recruit a group.

"Okay; do we know them?"

Yes; they are famous supervillains.

What do they want?

From the eye lasers and fire blasts, I think they want to attack you!

Okay.  We need to get a plan!  Find cover!  Where are we?  In a building?

You're in a graveyard.

It, uh, got a lot worse from there.  But even after that, when the GM showed up with his notes...

We wanyed to pick up from where we left off.

That is also why Daedalus Park has a graveyard in it to this day.  Our hunteds and huntings and rivalries and origin stories provided the earliest population.  Businesses and organizations and foundations appeared as we needed them-  well, as we needed something _like_ them:

Okay, the crimemobile is orerrt busted up.  Is there like some place we can ger ir fixed up quick and quiet?

Well, there's Bender's Fender.  Quickest turn around anywhere in town, accorsinf to the radio.

Great!  Can he fix an experimental alcohol jet propulsion engine?

Well, mostly he does body work, but he might know a guy....

That kind of thing.  If you let them, your players will build a wonderful playground for you: one that focuses on the needs, interests, and desires of the setting in which they want to play.

Look at the source material:  every single super hero has fifty or more supervillains.  If there are forty superheroes all acting out of New York, an9 each of them has fifty or sixty unique supervillains, and then there are world-class or galaxy class superheroes _from_ New York, but nit necesarily operating there, and each of them has fifty unique villains.....

That is a buttload of super people floating around New York City.  I dint mean in terms of population perxentage (which I have also never been asked about with any more interest than "are powers common or not?"-- which was answered with "powers arent common, but they arent particulalry unusual, either.  _useful_ powers are quite in common, and really powerful levels are very unusual.  Finsinf a combination of strong, useful powers and courage to use them in bokd and public ways makes super heroes and costumed villains rather rare, though."

I was never asked for more specifics that that, and every so often, players encounter a background NPC with some minor ability: a bartender that can grab your mug and re-chill your drink;  an ironworker who welds using his own natural ability to create a reliable electric arc; a waitress whose clairsentience lets her check on her customers while seating a new table,  a cleaning service stagged entirely by low-level speedsters, and everyone's favorite: a stuntman whose only power is the ability to survive a fall from any height.  (He has gone over Niagara falls nine times so far-- without a barrel).

It isnt something I ever thiught about when our first GM left and I took over- the minor powers- and I never would have no matter how long a document I might have prepared, but once I was asked about  powers, it seemd so obvious...

Honestly, I dont think the density or xommonality of xostumed adventurers ever really mattered: Marvel's New York City should house a few thousand super-powered individuals, but somehow, it never seems to matter.  Iron Man never swings through and repulsive blasts the guy Daredevil is trying to beat with a stick and offers a quick "yeah, you're welcome, DD!" and then flies off on his way to an alien invasion threat.  Doctor Strange never squares up with the Kingpin.  The only time all these thiusands of supers matter _at all_ to each other when it is scripted that they shoukd work together, then never see each other ever again, unless Marvel revives Two-in-One, in which case the Thing is going to have his danve card filled.  Why?  Bevause the while point of Two-in-One was teaming up other supers with the Thing, period.

By the source material, there are always more heroes or villains than will ever make sense, and they will never show up unless they are absolutely supposed to.

So what difference is their density in ther world, the vast majority of which your players and their characters will never trod? 

Now I make no secret of the fact that I dont sweat nearly the detaila that most people do when "world building."  Mostly because not only do I remember the experience of Lars, but the one winter I forgot it and in my hubris crafted a fantasy campaign that my players demanded, begged for- something new and different and unkike anything that we have aeen before--!

And I soent a winter crafting such a world, and such a campaign, and a number of smaller enctiunters to impress the flavilor of rhis world-

And they _hated_ it.  What they claimed to want and what they actually wanted were two different things.  They claimed they wanted something new and truly exotic  when all they really wanted was YATRO except all weapons were akin to the Stands from JoJo' Bizarre Adventure (an arcade fighter that was pretty hot at that moment).

So there you have it: the two sides od the coin: absolute excellent World-building advice that I will,never tell you is anything but good advice, and how it blew completely,up,in thw GM' face on both of the only two occasions I have ever seen it fully implemented.

For my money, I rhink Chris Goodwin hits an absolute sweet spot that any GM shoukd strive for:

I have never read any of his campaign idea documents that went more,than ten pages, and several that dont go to ten.  He sketches vaguely the feel of the world, polotivs and religion as,any character in the world would be passignly familiar, bouse rules as appropriate, character guidelines, and a few,things that make,rhis world unique.

All of it is done with broad strokes, making tweaking on the fly and adjusting for slowly-realized player desires almost effortless, and certainly inobvious to the players even as it happens.  As a campaign platform document, I think it is absolutely brilliant,  and I live reading them!

Now I quoted Scott specificaly because, other than the need dor a well-mapped city, our ideas on Campaign building overlap more than they don't.  Notice rhwt the bulk of his advice can be boiled down to "don't pin down every detail right away; your focus shohld be finding out what the players are interested in, and making sure you are amenable.

Notice That even before you have built a world, he stresses making sure that you have players who are like-minded in working together to share a good time.  Scott recommends literally interviewing potential players not just to see what they want, but with an eye toward what they offer the game, and the likelihood of trouble they may cause the game.

More than what percentage of the Estonian people have super powers, this has importance.  It dowsnt matyer what the average Damage Class of a main is if you have one player who must be begged to use it and another who wont stop using,it on his teammates.

I also agree with this.  If you have new-to-the-system players, I stress it.  It is what I had to docdoecmy current youth group.  Obviously, this allows the players to experience the game immediately and not have to stumble through character creation until  they actually understand what these terms and ideas mean in game terms, but there is another benefit:  you can build characters that compliment each others and that work well together.  Ultimately, their first experiences with the games focus in teamwork and getting along.  It ingrains the idea that this is a natural and essential part of the experience, and going forward, will likely continue to build future characters with an eye toward complementing the rest of the party.

Agreed.  I go a bit further and rwxommend that they have fifteen or even twenry points to spend.  Why?  Because by that time, they are really getting in the groove of the mechanics and their various interactions, and will likely know exactly what changes they want to make to the character, or what sort of a character they would prefer to have.

At That time, work with them one-on-one, and answer every singke quesrion they have, no matter hiw tedious, and dont let them think that this is just as exciting for you as It is for them- any less may discourage questions go which they _need_ answers to ensure that they are getting the best gaming experience that they can.

I could go on and,on, but I am pretty sure I have.

:lol:

1. What is YATRO?

2. Good advice, I found that nobody really cares about how detailed a game world is.  One of the reasons that I prefer modern day game is because you don't have to worry about explaining a lot of stuff.

3. Were you using a phone, because there are a lot of typos?

On 12/31/2022 at 6:21 AM, dean day said:

Adventurers Club Issue 1

Characters that made the cut - Exoskeleton Man

I find this guy hilarious as Foxbat's number one fan! Good to give Foxbat some back up, not sure if he was updated in later editions?

He appears in Enemies United for 4th edition.

3 hours ago, starblaze said:

1. What is YATRO?

Yet Another Tolkien Rip-Off.

My age us probably showing; this wxpression was much more common when almost every small press FRPG built a game set in vagurly medieval Europe, was peopled with humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, trolls, and halflngs.,,,, 

2. Good advice, I found that nobody really cares about how detailed a game world is.  One of the reasons that I prefer modern day game is because you don't have to worry about explaining a lot of stuff.

Yep.  Totslly agree.  Honestly, it is the single _best part_ of playing superheroes:

A city?  Everybody knows what a city is.

Skyscraper?  Every body knows what a skyscraper is.

Traffic noises?  Gang fight?  Everybody knows.....

Takes a but longer to expkain the violet-hued,four-dimensional,foliage of the planet crosgave.

3. Were you using a phone, because there are a lot of typos?

Actually, no!  Believe it or not, there are a lot of typos,because I was using a phone.

:rolf:

I mentioned it just a few lines in.  My computer is dying, and no longer rwcognizes the existence of this website, so if I want do do anything over here, I have to use the phone and plan on being all day about it.

He appears in Enemies United for 4th edition.

That's right!  I had forgotten- that is where the expanded Foxbat and Friends line up began (not a fan).  And that is the oicture of Leroy done by our buddy Scott, if I remember right.

Lookin' good, Amigo!

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think you mean Enemies Assemble. ;)

Pedant.

;)

• 2 months later...

Continuing this project I am going to start with 5th edition versions of the Protectors from the adventure "To Serve and Protect". They will be my versions so depending on the character the differences might be big or small or hardly any different at all. Will be giving them all some xp bonuses as in my campaign I want them to be quite a powerful and experienced group of heroes. I will post hero designer sheets for them as I go first up will be Doc Sonic. 

Here is my version of Doc Sonic.

Character Name: Doc Sonic
Alternate Identities: Dr Robyn Williams
Player Name: NPC
herologo.jpg
CHARACTERISTICS
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
13 STR 10 3 13 12- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]
23 DEX 10 39 23 14- OCV 8 DCV 8
20 CON 10 20 20 13-  
11 BODY 10 2 11 11-  
23 INT 10 13 23 14- PER Roll 14-
13 EGO 10 6 13 12- ECV: 4
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-  

6 PD 3 3 6/26   6/26 PD (0/20 rPD)
5 ED 4 1 5/23   5/23 ED (0/18 rED)
5 SPD 3.3 17 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
15 REC 7 16 15    
59 END 40 10 59    
41 STUN 28 13 41    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2" Leaping 3 0 2 1/2" 150 Total Characteristics Points
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 210
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 100
Disad Points: 100
Total Points: 410
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 2 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 30" [60" NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 6/26
Res. Phys. Defense 0/20
Energy Defense 5/23
Res. Energy Defense 0/18
Mental Defense 0
Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 8 DCV: 8

Combat Skill Levels: +1 With Sonic Blast, Sonic Disrupter & Sonic Shriek
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10
Targeting shot OCV Hit Location
Head shot (Head to Shoulders) -4 1d6+3
High shot (Head to Vitals) -2 2d6+1
Body shot (Hands to Legs) -1 2d6+4
Low shot (Shoulders to Feet) -2 2d6+7
Leg shot (Vitals to Feet) -4 1d6+12

herologo.jpg
SKILLS
Cost  Name
7 Science Skill: Sonics 16-
3 Electronics 14-
3 Mechanics 14-
5 Inventor 15-
4 PS Scientist 15-
6 Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Personal Computers, Military Computers) 14-
3 Security Systems 14-
2 Systems Operation (Medical Systems) 14-
3 Paramedics 14-
3 Bureaucratics 12-
3 Analyze: Technology/Battle Suits 14-
2 Combat Piloting 10-
3 +1 With Sonic Blast, Sonic Disrupter & Sonic Shriek
2 Acrobatics (Aerial only) 10-
2 Aerial Maneuvers: Defense Maneuver I-II (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only Works While Flying (-1)
3 Teamwork The Protectors 14-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 KS: Antiques 12-
63 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
6 Reputation Member of the Protectors (A large group) 11-, +3/+3d6
33 The Protectors: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (33 Active Points) 14-
6 Superhero Community: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) 11-
45 Total Perks Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
17 Sonic Attack Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2)  
2u
1) Sonic Blast: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2)
2u
2) Sonic Disruptor: Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense ([Standard] Not VS Deaf or Hard Ear Coverings; +1) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2)
1u
3) Sonic Shriek: Hearing and Radio Groups Flash 12d6 (41 Active Points); Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2)
1u
4) Vertigo Blast: Drain DEX 3d6, Ranged (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2)
1u
5) Sonic Liquifier: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2)
34 Sonic Gadeteering Pool: Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 30 base + 15 control cost, (45 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Special Effect Common SFX (Sonics; -1/2), VPP Can Only Be Changed Between Adventures (-1/2)  
20 Force Field (20 PD/18 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (72 Active Points); Limited Power Not In a Vacuum Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2) 0
21 Suit Energy Reserve: Endurance Reserve (160 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (26 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
40 Sonic Flight: Flight 30" (60 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2) 6
3 Special Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
3 Special Visor: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group), +1 to PER Roll (6 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
7 Special Visor: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
152 Total Powers Cost

herologo.jpg
DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 : 1 1/2 x STUN Sonic (Common)
15 : Secret Identity (Dr Robyn Williams) (Frequently; Major)
20 Code VS Killing: (Very Common; Strong)
10 Dislikes Combat: (Common; Moderate)
10 Hunted : US Government 8- (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
10 Hunted: Le Sone 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: 7 Horsemen 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
5 : Nearsighted (wears corrective goggles) (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
100 Total Disadvantages Cost
APPEARANCE
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Height: 2.00 m
Weight: 100.00 kg
Description:
BACKGROUND
Dr. Robyn Willows had been part of the US Army's Project Talos since she left university, the Army had various suits in stages of development and some of them were far more advanced and successful than her expensive lightweight sonic suit. Eventually the army officially cut her funding and cut her from the project. She was considered and expensive failure and it was only after three years of struggling without funding she eventually met Wayne Savage owner of SavCo.
He reinstated her funding and once she completed the battle-suit he revealed he was a member of the Protectors as the hero the Huntsman.
Dr Willows joined the group in her unique suit as the new hero Doc Sonic and has been a member ever since.
PERSONALITY
Robyn is a strong, confident woman who knows her strengths and limitations. In many ways she is the Protectors most psychologically most balanced member. She is not afraid to express her opinion on a subject , but is prudent enough to know when to keep silent.
Her first love is sceince and when off duty she can usually be found tinkering in one of her labs. And although she knows her sonic battlesuit is a powerful weapon, she does not enjoy super heroics. Battle is always frightening to her, she is aware of her own mortality.
"You should listen to me sir, dont make me shout!"
POWERS/TACTICS
Though Doc sonic dislikes combat, she understands it's occasional necessity and is prepared to use her battle-suits abilities aggressively. In battle Robyn will seek out a sheltered location and cut lose with her NND attack or Energy Blast, hoping the knock back will provide her with more space. Up to now she has never used her RKA against a living opponent, reserving it for breaking through doorways or the occasional killer robot. She has recently become more comfortable flying in battle and has developed some flying combat skill. Very recently she has added a sonic DEX drain to her suits attacks but has not used it much yet.
CAMPAIGN_USE
Notes on changes I have made to make her more an experienced heroine.

I have filled out her skill portfolio giving her skills that would make sense for her and slightly increased her expertise with them, I have given her two more slots on her attack multi-power and also a small variable gadget pool. Her characteristics are slightly tweaked but remain basically the same

Character created with Hero Designer (version 20220312)

Doc Sonic.HTML

Edited by dean day

1 hour ago, tombrown803 said:

Question: how do you see the limitation "Does not work in a vacuum" working that its worth a -2. RAW, the rulesbook has it listed as a -1/4. Just curious

It depends on how often it actually shows up in the campaign. In a more earthbound campaign, where space travel is a rarity and actual space combat is a "not going to happen" it is worth a -1/4, if the GM is being generous. If the entire campaign is space bound, then a -2 is perhaps the right amount. 

13 hours ago, tombrown803 said:

Question: how do you see the limitation "Does not work in a vacuum" working that its worth a -2. RAW, the rulesbook has it listed as a -1/4. Just curious

You are right, It's a long time since I played Champions and I am using this project to prepare for a campaign. I had in my head that it represented how much the power did not function rather than how often it did not function for the points. I have amended it, thanks for the spot. Below is the updated file, I have also added in appearance details.

haracter Name: Doc Sonic
herologo.jpg
CHARACTERISTICS
13 STR 10 3 13 12- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]
23 DEX 10 39 23 14- OCV 8 DCV 8
20 CON 10 20 20 13-  
11 BODY 10 2 11 11-  
23 INT 10 13 23 14- PER Roll 14-
13 EGO 10 6 13 12- ECV: 4
14 COM 10 2 14 12-  

6 PD 3 3 6/26   6/26 PD (0/20 rPD)
5 ED 4 1 5/23   5/23 ED (0/18 rED)
5 SPD 3.3 17 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
15 REC 7 16 15    
59 END 40 10 59    
41 STUN 28 13 41    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Spent: 255
Total Points: 455
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 2 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Flight 30" [60" NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 6/26
Res. Phys. Defense 0/20
Energy Defense 5/23
Res. Energy Defense 0/18
Mental Defense 0
Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 8 DCV: 8

Combat Skill Levels: +1 With Sonic Blast, Sonic Disrupter & Sonic Shriek
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

herologo.jpg
SKILLS
Cost  Name
7 Science Skill: Sonics 16-
3 Electronics 14-
3 Mechanics 14-
5 Inventor 15-
4 PS Scientist 15-
6 Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Personal Computers, Military Computers) 14-
3 Security Systems 14-
2 Systems Operation (Medical Systems) 14-
3 Paramedics 14-
3 Bureaucratics 12-
3 Analyze: Technology/Battle Suits 14-
2 Combat Piloting 10-
3 +1 With Sonic Blast, Sonic Disrupter & Sonic Shriek
2 Acrobatics (Aerial only) 10-
2 Aerial Manuevers: Defense Maneuver I-II (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only Works While Flying (-1)
3 Teamwork The Protectors 14-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 KS: Antiques 12-
63 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
6 Reputation Member of the Protectors (A large group) 11-, +3/+3d6
33 The Protectors: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (33 Active Points) 14-
6 Superhero Community: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) 11-
45 Total Perks Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
34 Sonic Attack Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)  
3u
1) Sonic Blast: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)
3u
2) Sonic Disruptor: Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense ([Standard] Not VS Deaf or Hard Ear Coverings; +1) (60 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)
2u
3) Sonic Shriek: Hearing and Radio Groups Flash 12d6 (41 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)
3u
4) Vertigo Blast: Drain DEX 3d6, Ranged (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)
3u
5) Sonic Liquifier: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not in a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)
34 Sonic Gadeteering Pool: Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 30 base + 15 control cost, (45 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Special Effect Common SFX (Sonics; -1/2), VPP Can Only Be Changed Between Adventures (-1/2)  
41 Sonic Force Field: Force Field (20 PD/18 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (72 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2), Limited Power Not In a Vacuum Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4) 0
21 Suit Energy Reserve: Endurance Reserve (160 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (26 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
40 Sonic Flight: Flight 30" (60 Active Points); OIF (Focus Sonic Battlesuit; -1/2) 6
3 Special Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
3 Special Visor: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group), +1 to PER Roll (6 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
7 Special Visor: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
197 Total Powers Cost

herologo.jpg
DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 : 1 1/2 x STUN Sonic (Common)
15 : Secret Identity (Dr Robyn Williams) (Frequently; Major)
20 Code VS Killing: (Very Common; Strong)
10 Dislikes Combat: (Common; Moderate)
10 Hunted : US Goverment 8- (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
10 Hunted: Le Sone 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: 7 Horesman 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)
5 : Nearsighted (wears corrective goggles) (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
APPEARANCE
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Grey
Height: 1.68 m
Weight: 50.00 kg
Description:
Robyn is an attractive physically fit woman with blonde hair and grey eyes who stands roughly 5ft 5.
BACKGROUND
Dr. Robyn Willows had been part of the US Army's Project Talos since she left university, the Army had various suits in stages of development and some of them were far more advanced and successful than her expensive lightweight sonic suit. Eventually the army officially cut her funding and cut her from the project. She was considered and expensive failure and it was only after three years of struggling without funding she eventually met Wayne Savage owner of SavCo.
He reinstated her funding and once she completed the battlesuit he revealed he was a member of the Protectors as the hero the Huntsman.
Dr Willows joined the group in her unique suit as the new hero Doc Sonic and has been a member ever since.
PERSONALITY
Robyn is a strong, confident woman who knows her strengths and limitations. In many ways she is the Protectors most psychologically most balanced member. She is not afraid to express her opinion on a subject , but is prudent enough to know when to keep silent.
Her first love is science and when off duty she can usually be found tinkering in one of her labs. And although she knows her sonic battlesuit is a powerful weapon, she does not enjoy super heroics. Battle is always frightening to her, she is aware of her own mortality.
"You should listen to me sir, dont make me shout!"
POWERS/TACTICS
Though Doc sonic dislikes combat, she understands it's occasional necessity and is prepared to use her battlesuits abilities aggressively. In battle Robyn will seek out a sheltered location and cut lose with her NND attack or Energy Blast, hoping the knockback will provide her with more space. Up to now she has never used her RKA against a living opponent, reserving it for breaking through doorways or the occasional killer robot. She has recently become more comfortable flying in battle and has developed some flying combat skill. Very recently she has added a sonic DEX drain to her suits attacks but has not used it much yet.
CAMPAIGN_USE
Notes on changes I have made to make her more an experienced heroine.

I have filled out her skill portfolio giving her skills that would make sense for her and slightly increased her expertise with them, I have given her two more slots on her attack multipower and also a small variable gadget pool. Her characteristics are slightly tweaked but remain basically the same

12 hours ago, steriaca said:

It depends on how often it actually shows up in the campaign. In a more earthbound campaign, where space travel is a rarity and actual space combat is a "not going to happen" it is worth a -1/4, if the GM is being generous. If the entire campaign is space bound, then a -2 is perhaps the right amount. 

No he was correct, the Protectors in my campaign might have the occasional cosmic or space adventure but it should be 1/4, I just made a mistake with the limitation in my mind.

On to Brainstorm next.

Here is Brainstorm. I have added into his background his flirtation with the Guardians who in my campaign will be my version of the X-Men, although still using most of the old Guardians Champions characters (Goliath,Icestar, flare, Gargoyle etc.

I have made him slightly more powerful in combat and added in an Ego drain power. I have reduced some of his characteristics as physically I did not want him so competent. I have given him lighting reflexes for his mental powers and this will be a common power for mentalists in my campaign. Next up Dr. Wraithe.

Lastly I have given a name to the psychic increasing drug he was fed to by PSI and called it MXI I will be using this as the most common psychically enhancing drug in the campaign universe.

Character Name: Brainstorm
Alternate Identities: Kent Hampton
herologo.jpg
CHARACTERISTICS
14 STR 10 4 14 12- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]
18 DEX 10 24 18 13- OCV 6 DCV 6
23 CON 10 26 23 14-  
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-  
13 INT 10 3 13 12- PER Roll 12-
28 EGO 10 36 28 15- ECV: 9
10 COM 10 0 10 11-  

7 PD 3 4 7/22   7/22 PD (0/15 rPD)
7 ED 5 2 7/22   7/22 ED (0/15 rED)
5 SPD 2.8 22 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
12 REC 8 8 12    
70 END 46 12 70    
33 STUN 29 4 33    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Spent: 190
Base Points: 150
Total Points: 440
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 2 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 7/22
Res. Phys. Defense 0/15
Energy Defense 7/22
Res. Energy Defense 0/15
Mental Defense 16
Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 6 DCV: 6

Combat Skill Levels: +4 with Mental and Ranged Combat
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

herologo.jpg
SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Stealth 13-
2 Computer Programming (Personal Computers) 10-
3 Interrogation 12-
3 Sociology: KS 12-
5 Rap Music: KS 14-
6 Science Fiction Geek: KS 15-
5 Mental Powers: Power 12-
3 Teamwork The Protectors 13-
24 +4 with Mental and Ranged Combat
54 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
4 Reputation: Member of the Protectors (A large group) 11-, +2/+2d6
33 Contact: The Protectors (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (33 Active Points) 14-
5 Contact: The Superhero Community (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) 8-
42 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
7 Speed of Thought: Lightning Reflexes: +7 DEX to act first with Mental Powers
7 Total Talents Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
94 Pyschokinetic Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (94 Active Points)  
6u
1) Mental Assault: Ego Attack 6d6 (60 Active Points)
6u
2) Mind Search: Mind Scan 12d6 (60 Active Points)
6u
3) Mind Reach: Telepathy 12d6 (60 Active Points)
7u
4) Telekinesis: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points)
5u
5) Brain Drain: Drain EGO 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (50 Active Points)
30 Telekinetic Shield: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 4
22 Mental Shield: Mental Defense (16 points total), Usable By Other (+1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (22 Active Points) 0
3 Special Contacts: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
8 Concealed Communicator: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2) 0
187 Total Powers Cost

herologo.jpg
DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
25 Hunted PSI: 11- (Mo Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Capture)
10 Hunted The Guardians: 8- (Mo Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)
10 Contempt For Other Egotists: (Common; Moderate)
10 Immature: (Common; Moderate)
5 Searches For his Mother: (Uncommon; Moderate)
5 Slight Asthma: (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
10 Dependence : Ego Stimulating Drug Takes 2d6 Damage (Uncommon; 1 Day)
15 Secret Identity: (Frequently; Major)
10 Mutant: (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
APPEARANCE
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Height: 1.73 m
Weight: 65.00 kg
Description:
Brainstorm's costume consists of an ebony body suit with mint green boots, cuffs and vest. The striping on the sid eof the outfit, as well as his mask and belt buckle are white.
BACKGROUND
Kent Hampton was kidnapped as a small child by PSI who killed his father and seriously injured his mother in a hail of bullets. Over the next dozen years he was brainwashed and indoctrinated into PSI's worldview as his mental powers slowly developed. During this period they also had him become addicted to the mind expanding drug MXI which did increase his powers greatly but he quickly became addicted to and still needs to this day or suffers extreme migraines. at the age of seventeen, Kent managed to escape the clutches of PSI with the secret formula of MXI, vowing revenge Kent adopted the identity of Brainstorm and began a career as a costumed crime fighter. After several months of working solo he was asked to join both the Guardians and the Protectors. Rejecting his mutant background he said no to the Guardians and instead joined the Protectors as their resident egotist.
PERSONALITY
Though he is remarkably efficient in combat, Brainstorm is classically immature. His many years of captivity have left him without social skills, and he frequently makes embarrassing or hurtful remarks. Ace has a great deal of pity for Brainstorm- a feeling he has misinterpreted as affection. At the urging of Maelstrom, brainstorm has recently begun studying sociology at the university of California in Berkeley.
At time Kent seems to operate from pure hormones. He will often try to seduce a villainess before fighting her and may waste a phase sending crude suggestions telepathically. In his spare time he is a science fiction fanatic and very loud rap music can usually be heard blaring from his quarters, soon kent hopes to become a DJ.
"Come on Princess, you know you want to"
POWERS/TACTICS
Brainstorm's own mental abilities have been enhanced tremendously by MXI he is addicted to. However, as his proficiency with his psychokinetic powers has increased, so too has his conceit. Kent frequently shows contempt for other mentalists, and Quasar struggles to keep Kent from "dueling" psychically. When engaged in battle, Brainstorm will usually keep his back close to a wall to prevent surprise ambushes. If possible, Brainstorm will remain in a relatively hidden location, firing his mental assault at opponents until his cover is blown. Then he will begin to use his telekinesis, grabbing one opponent and throwing him into another. If in combat against another mentalist he will first use his brain drain power to reduce their ego before going on the offensive with his mental assault.

Here is Dr Wraithe

Character Name: Dr. Wraithe
Alternate Identities: Eric Wraithe
herologo.jpg
CHARACTERISTICS
11 STR 10 1 11 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
21 DEX 10 33 21 13- OCV 7 DCV 7
21 CON 10 22 21 13-  
10 BODY 10 0 10 11-  
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-
21 EGO 10 22 21 13- ECV: 7
12 COM 10 1 12 11-  

7 PD 2 5 7/22   7/22 PD (0/15 rPD)
7 ED 4 3 7/27   7/27 ED (0/20 rED)
5 SPD 3.1 19 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
12 REC 6 12 12    
88 END 42 23 88    
45 STUN 27 18 45    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
2" Leaping 2 0 2" 172 Total Characteristics Points
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 298
Spent: 298
Base Points: 150
Disad Points: 95
Total Points: 543
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (2") 2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
Teleport 15" [240" NC]
Tunneling 12" [24" NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 7/22
Res. Phys. Defense 0/15
Energy Defense 7/27
Res. Energy Defense 0/20
Mental Defense 16
Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Combat Skill Levels: +1 Overall , +2 with Magic
COMBAT MANEUVERS
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

herologo.jpg
SKILLS
Cost  Name
11 Magic: Power 15-
5 KS: Pstchology 14-
7 KS: The Occult 16-
5 Contortionist 14-
2 Deduction 10-
3 Interrogation 12-
2 Persuasion 10-
3 Research 13-
2 Stealth 10-
3 Language: Latin (fluent conversation; literate)
10 Great Experience: +1 Overall
3 The Protectors: Teamwork 13-
3 Magical Training: Analyze: Magic 13-
6 Great Experience: +2 with Magic
65 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
8 Member of the Protectors & the Circle: Reputation (A large group) 11-, +4/+4d6
33 The Protectors: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (33 Active Points) 14-
27 The Circle: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own), Organization Contact (x3) (27 Active Points) 13-
8 Superhero Community: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 12-
6 Rich through Magic: Money: Wealthy
30 Large Mansion: Vehicles & Bases
112 Total Perks Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
46 Magical Power: Multipower, 80-point reserve, (80 Active Points); all slots Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)  
5u
1) The Gentle Slumbers of Skarn: Ego Attack 8d6 (80 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
5u
2) Eldritch Bolts of Erinith: Energy Blast 16d6 (80 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
4u
3) Shadows of Sangitar: Darkness to Sight Group and Ultrasonic Perception 6" radius (63 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
2u
4) Pure Light of Polonati: Sight Group Flash 6d6 (30 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
4u
5) The Grasping Touch Of Terros: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
3u
6) Gateways of Gallox: Teleportation 15", Position Shift, x16 Noncombat, x4 Increased Mass (60 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
3u
7) Worbinor's Wall of Protection: Force Wall (10 PD/10 ED; 5" long and 3" tall) (62 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
4u
😎 Melinors Mental Warping: Mental Illusions 13d6 (65 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
3u
9) The Hiding Spell of Hypnar: Invisibility to Sight and Mystic Groups, Ultrasonic Perception, Radar and Mental Awareness , No Fringe (46 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
3u
10) Healing Power of Hannora: Healing BODY 3d6, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (55 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
3u
11) Tunnells of Troyaja: Tunneling 12" through 12 DEF material (60 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
3u
12) Blades of Killanos: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4)
36 Minor Spells: Variable Power Pool, 30 base + 15 control cost, (45 Active Points); all slots Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; Complex; -1 1/2)  
35 Shields of Sarrastor: Force Field (15 PD/20 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4) (61 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4) 5
10 Aura of Antaros: Life Support (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) 0
12 Psychic Training: Mental Defense (16 points total) 0
3 Special Contacts: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
7 Communicator: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); IIF Fragile (-1/2) 0
3 Special Contacts: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
194 Total Powers Cost

herologo.jpg
DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 Reputation Strange & Forbidding Magician: , 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)
10 Grim & Moody: (Common; Moderate)
5 Unfamiliar with Modern Culture: (Occasionally; Minor)
25 Hunted : Skarn the Shaper 8- (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: 7 Horseman 8- (Mo Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Harshly Punish)
10 Unluck: 2d6
10 Public ID: Eric Wraithe (Occasionally; Major)
10 Dependent NPC: Charles Wentworth (Butler) 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
95 Total Disadvantages Cost
APPEARANCE
Hair Color: Brown with Gray flecks and sides
Eye Color: Gray
Height: 1.87 m
Weight: 75.00 kg
Description:
BACKGROUND
Eric Wraithe, a young soldier from Liverpool, was just nineteen when stray shrapnel killed him somewhere in a muddy trench in France. He had been fighting with the Yanks in WW1, giving his all against the German threat, but now he was dead ! where was he?
He opened his eyes upon a dark and musty place, lit only by a flickering candlestick. The voice which pierced the gloom sounded both ancient and foreboding. "Eric Wraithe", you have been chosen as my new apprentice. I snatched you from the clutches of death, and you will repay me with your service. To disobey me to to perish"
Eric shuddered at this bewildering nightmare. The voice soon manifested itself as an ancient man, cloaked in scarlet and indigo. His breath was like the stale air in a forgotten tomb and his clawed touch was that of a corpse.
Eric had no idea how long he was in that place, it seemed like centuries. The arcane create trained Eric in the mystical arts of manipulating reality hoping that Eric would help him rule, but his training was too through, and Eric discovered the way to escape. As the Ancient one swore revenge for his efforts he had wasted on "An insignificant and ungrateful mortal" he revealed himself as the great being Skarn the Shaper, just as Eric managed to escape back to his own world.
At first he was disorientated, it took him several hours to realize that over 100 years had passed since his abduction. Moreover he had also moved geographically, he was now near the bustling city of San Francisco. He quickly realized he needed money to survive and knew he needed to prepare for Skarn the Shapers revenge.
So he decided on a desperate course of action, he magically manipulated the states lottery and made himself the big winner. With his tainted winning's Eric purchased himself a big mansion and began to reorient himself into his new era. He enrolled at the local university and quickly earned doctoral degrees in psychology and parapsychology. He had never intended to become involved with the costume crime fighters that he read about in the newspapers, but he frequently found himself rushing to the aid of innocents in danger, battling powerful megalomaniacs and other deadly criminal magical or otherwise. He was soon contacted by the master mage of this reality Eldritch to add his mystical might to the group of magical heroes called the Circle, after establishing himself with that group he eventually helped form the Protectors in his native San Francisco.
PERSONALITY
Dr Wraithe is a grim and moody individual. The rest of the team often feel uncomfortable in his presence, it is clear to the rest of them he is being hunted by a hugely powerful mystical entitiy from another dimension and this tends to make the Protectors jumpy when dealing with the supernatural. Eric's mindset is still consistent with the 1910's , he is appalled by the the sharp decline in morality since he has been away. He usually can be found locked up in his mansion accompanied only by his very brave butler Wentworth.

Just as a quick FYI the write ups in the future will not include background details. It is just taking far too long to type it all in and I have not got that much free time at the moment. So I will stick to the mechanics of the write up and hopefully i can provide more of them that way. Next up Maelstrom.

Character Name: Spinerette
Alternate Identities: Paige Adams
herologo.jpg
CHARACTERISTICS
35 STR 10 25 35 16- HTH Damage 7d6 END [3]
35 DEX 10 75 35 16- OCV 12 DCV 12
35 CON 10 50 35 16-  
14 BODY 10 8 14 12-  
15 INT 10 5 15 12- PER Roll 12-/15-
15 EGO 10 10 15 12- ECV: 5
18 COM 10 4 18 13-  

13 PD 7 6 13   13 PD (0 rPD)
15 ED 7 8 15   15 ED (0 rED)
7 SPD 4.5 25 7   Phases: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12
20 REC 14 12 20    
70 END 70 0 70    
50 STUN 50 0 50    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
7" Leaping 7 0 10" 233 Total Characteristics Points
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 344
Spent: 344
Total Points: 544
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (7") 10"
V. Leap (4") 5"
Swinging 25" [50" NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 13
Res. Phys. Defense 0
Energy Defense 15
Res. Energy Defense 0
Mental Defense 0
Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 12 DCV: 12

Combat Skill Levels: +2 with All Combat
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Counterstrike 1/2 +2 +2 9d6 Strike, Must Follow Block
Defensive Block 1/2 +1 +3 Block, Abort
Defensive Strike 1/2 +1 +3 7d6 Strike
Fast Strike 1/2 +2 +0 9d6 Strike
Martial Strike 1/2 +0 +2 9d6 Strike
Martial Dodge 1/2 -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
COMBAT MODIFIERS
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

herologo.jpg
SKILLS
Cost  Name
7 Acrobatics 18-
3 Breakfall 16-
7 Conversation 14-
3 Deduction 12-
7 Persuasion 14-
5 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 16-
5 KS- Sales & Customer Service Skills 14-
4 PS - Customer Service and Sales Professional 13-
16 Combat Experiance: +2 with All Combat
60 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
10 Superhero Community: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) 15-
10 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
32 Archachnid Sense: Danger Sense (self only, any danger, Function as a Sense) 17-
32 Total Talents Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
120 Spider-Powers: Multipower, 120-point reserve  
5u
1) Dark as Night: Darkness to Sight Group 5" radius, Alterable Size (55 Active Points)
10u
2) Spider Webs: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Sticky (+1/2) (120 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)
3u
3) Leeching: Drain DEX 5d6 (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)
6u
4) Venom Blast: Energy Blast 9d6, Lingering +1 Phase (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (79 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4)
3u
5) Web Slinging: Swinging 25", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (31 Active Points)
8 Wolf Spider Leap: Leaping +3" (10" forward, 5" upward) (Accurate) 1
15 Spider Climbing: Clinging (50 STR) 0
5 Spider Vision: Nightvision 0
6 Spider Vision: +3 PER with Sight Group 0
2 Costume Eye Protection: Hearing Group Flash Defense (4 points) (4 Active Points); IIF Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) 0
183 Total Powers Cost
MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS
Cost  Maneuver
  Acrobatic Style
1) Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, 9d6 Strike, Must Follow Block
2) Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
3) Defensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 7d6 Strike
4) Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 9d6 Strike
5) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 9d6 Strike
6) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
26 Total Martial Arts Cost

herologo.jpg
DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
15 Dependent NPC: Paul Peterson (Fiancee) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
15 Dependent NPC: Mark Adams (Grandfather) 8- (Incompetent)
10 Hunted : Dragonfly (father) 8- (As Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Mildly Punish)
15 Hunted: Rogues Gallery 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
5 Reputation: Menace to New York Society, 8-
10 Psychological Limitation: Naive always thinks the best of everyone (Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common; Strong)
15 Secret Identity: (Frequently; Major)
APPEARANCE
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 1.55 m
Weight: 50.00 kg
Description:
BACKGROUND
Spinerette was mentioned in the examples of an early champions rulebook (3rd edition) so this is me making her into a fleshed out NPC. she will act as my version of Spidey in my campaign, with the secret identity of Paige Adams a young nineteen year old customer service and sales clerk for an insurance company. Her father is Dragonfly (another old champs villain) who transformed himself into a fly like monster during his experiments and Paige a year later nearly did the same to herself by accident when discovering her father's experiments. She escaped the expirementation pod however just in time and was given a unique set of powers by a spider that had crawled into the pod with her.
Since then she has tried to come to terms with her new abilities and help the residents of New York City. She has been offered membership in a few superhero groups but has turned them all down even though she seems to make a habit of teaming up with other heroes on a regular basis.

Just as an aside, I like endurance to be more a factor in my games especially with young heroes that maybe have not got full control of their powers yet, so note the high endurance costs of some powers on my builds such as Spinnerette above. 

Comic Publishing in my campaign

Taking a leaf out of the Sentinels RPG and card game, where a lot of their energy goes into the fictional comic book publishing world of their characters. I thought I would do the same for my campaign. Sticking to the rule of only using characters that have been published by superhero RPG's or games (as in the Protectors which I am currently converting to my versions) or at least mentioned (Spinerette is a great example) and also saying up front I love homages to the big two comic companies, so many of my versions of the characters will be more slanted to direct or semi homages (Grond will be a classic example of this as he will become much more a direct Hulk/Bruce Banner homage than his current champions universe version).

I will use this post to add to the comics published in my campaign world. Looking for a company name for the comics publisher I am going to go with my own homage to Hero games and call them HC (Hero Comics).

Here is a list I will add to over time.

Dr Wraithe (Magical adventures, often with a historical British feel with Dr. Wraithe travelling through time, this title has stopped and started again a few times)

Heroic Team Up (Team up book with Spinerette and a guest star hero)

The Protectors! (A long term comic dedicated to the super group from San Francisco) 

The Incredible Spinerette (The longest running Spinerette title now running for three years since her debut)

Paula Atwood Super Spinerette  (A title focusing on the young heroine's secret identity, HC has no idea in reality Paige Adams is Spinerette but weirdly they have made up her secret identity that has the same initials as her real name, which has freaked the real Spinerette out hugely as she is convinced someone at HC knows who she really is).

Silk of the Spinerette (Spinerette title that is aimed more at teens and children, especially teen girls so is much more romance orientated in its story telling)

Spinerette (2nd most popular current Spinerette title)

I will add to this post as I complete more characters.