Interesting Development: A.I. art cannot be Copyrighted.

Scott Ruggels

THe world of illustration has been roiled these past four months by the release of Dall-E, and Stable Diffusion since.  Charges of art theft, due to the researchers scraping publiucally posted art, and photographs, up to 5 billion images, without regards to ownership, and getting to the point, that the text prompts can specify a certain artist's style, have generated protests on gallery sites and concept art boards, across the net. However, a court precedent has decided that only humans and human generated art can be protected.  Therefore A.I. generated art, is automatically in the public domain.

I'm guessing it would, or that similar reasoning would apply, but I can't be bothered to watch youtube videos most of the time.

Honestly for all the controversy around AI art, ChatGPT is far more interesting (and frightening).  ChatGPT can write fiction.  It can write essays.  It can write news reports (factual, slanted, or otherwise).  It can write code.  It can write malware.  It can write legislation.  The ramifications with ChatGPT are far more serious than deepfakes and starving artists (which are quite serious in and of themselves).

52 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The thing is, this is great because it means no matter what art someone puts out there, like this wonderful stuff... if its done by a computer, its open and free for EVERYBODY to use however they choose.

AIs apparently have a problem with the number of fingers to put on hands, and sometimes a problem with feet. If they add in lots of pouches, Liefeld may be out of a job.

20 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The thing is, this is great because it means no matter what art someone puts out there, like this wonderful stuff... if its done by a computer, its open and free for EVERYBODY to use however they choose.

I understand the Siberian Tiger reference, but Russia should have been drawn as a bear, since that's the traditional representation. YMMV of course.

Welp the lawsuits are starting from the other direction:
https://www.techspot.com/news/97276-artists-launch-copyright-lawsuit-against-ai-art-generators.html

“Midjourney and Stable Diffusion are trained on billions of images. In the case of the latter, it uses selected datasets from the LAION-5B project, a collection of 5 billion images and associated descriptive captions created by a German-based research non-profit. The scraping is usually done without the artists’ consent and can be used to imitate their art style. Now, three artists—Sarah Andersen, Kelly McKernan and Karla Ortiz—say this is a violation of several copyright laws.”