Interesting Development: A.I. art cannot be Copyrighted.

Scott Ruggels

I've been playing around with Chat GPT today.

It's sort of like having a really bright assistant who's great at research, but also has a short attention span, doesn't follow orders, and lies about their mistakes.

Its writing capabilities are far overblown. I tried to walk it through writing a blog post on a topic that involved making a list of things and explaining them. It was great at generating ideas for the list, but when asked to remove something from the list and add something else to it, would make its own deletions and additions after being given explicit instructions not to. It has a buffer limit of about 500 words, so after giving it a corrected list, I asked it to write an article about the list that was 2000 words, and I'd tell it to continue after its buffer filled. Which used to work when it was writing longer things, but it decided to start the article again from scratch until I reiterated it was to pick up where it left off. The quality of the writing it produces is poor (but better than many humans), though grammatically correct. It makes factual errors or fails to follow directions closely, then attempts to rationalize or lie about its errors. It's pretty human in these regards.

When used within its limits (which is basically a story telling box), it's pretty dang impressive. It would make an exceptionally robust interface for a true expert system (it feeds expected words back, but clearly doesn't understand the concepts behind them), and I think has untapped potential for automation. As far as its writing goes, it's better for short factual things (that you must confirm, because it lies like a rug and its data only goes up to some time in 2021), or for generating things like outlines, lists, etc. It's good for bouncing ideas off of, to a point.

Here's an example of working out a hypothetical plot point:

ME:

I'm writing a story, and I need your help with plotting. Are you able to help me?

GPT:

Yes, I can help you with plotting your story. Can you give me more information about the story, such as the main characters, setting, and overall theme? This will help me understand the direction you want to take with your plot.

ME:

The story is a coming of age story about a high school senior, Marty, who has a younger sister, Jane, in middle school. The siblings have been abandoned by their single mother, who has gone off with one in a long string of boyfriends, and has not returned for several weeks. Marty is forced to take care of his little sister, and to get a job to pay the bills and buy food and necessities for himself and his sister. Marty's sister is taken away by Child Protective Services when they become aware of the situation. Jane has a peanut allergy and is fed peanuts by mistake while in CPS care, despite the allergy being in her records. Can you help me think of some ways in which Jane may have been fed peanuts while under CPS care?

GPT:

Sure, here are a few ways that Jane may have been fed peanuts while under CPS care:

• Accidentally served peanuts in food: Jane may have been served food that contained peanuts, either because the staff were not aware of her allergy or because they made a mistake in preparing her meals.
  • Sharing food with other children: If Jane is placed in a group home, she may have come into contact with peanuts by sharing food with other children who were eating peanut-containing snacks or meals.
  • Lack of proper labeling: If the group home or facility where Jane is placed does not properly label foods that contain peanuts, she may have accidentally consumed something that contains peanuts without realizing it.
  • Miscommunication: If the staff is not properly informed about Jane's allergy, or if the information is not properly passed on between shifts, Jane may have been fed peanuts by mistake.
  • Negligence: The staff at the CPS facility might have been careless or negligent in monitoring Jane's food, not paying attention to her allergies and not taking the necessary precautions to avoid exposing her to peanuts.
  • Sabotage by other children: If Jane is placed in a group home with other children, it's possible that one of the children deliberately gave her peanuts despite her allergy, either out of malice or due to lack of understanding of the severity of the allergy.

Please note that these are just examples and this is a fictional scenario.

I love the disclaimer at the end. It won't tell you how to do something immoral, but it'll cheerfully tell you how to get away with anything.

Now, this example wasn't particularly imaginative, just ways people have gotten poisoned accidentally or intentionally by food they're allergic to. Your average human could have made a similar list off the top of their head. But not in under two seconds. And probably would have left one or two things off. So, Chat GPT can be a pretty fun brainstorming tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked ChatGPT to translate Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" into Wakandan for me.  But it noted that there is no official lexicon for Wakandan, so it wrote me an original poem in Wakandan and translated it back into English:

As an AI language model, I can certainly generate text in the Wakandan language, but it's worth noting that Wakandan is a fictional language from the Marvel Comics universe, and there is no standardized version of it. Additionally, there is no official translation of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" into Wakandan.

However, I can attempt to translate the poem into Wakandan based on the available information about the language. Here is my attempt at a translation:

"Nkosi Ntulikazi"

Kubandakanya bantfwana, basithenge

Igama labantu bami, akusekho khona,

Kwandabiza, kwandamema,

Akukho sisindo esingumoya

Noma ngaphandle kwendlu lam,

Kwaba abakwethu abangabekanga

Kothisha kusuka kwendlu kwami

Isigwebo sethu singazange sithi "Hamba!"

Ngokuba sengathi kunje kwayo,

Kungekho sizathu sesingumoya

Okwaba yimini endala

Okanye nentliziyo yam, ithi nje, "Nkosi!"

Nkosi, kepha, akuyona

Iviko elide emoyeni

Isicupha esiningi sasithatha

Kanti sasoze sabuyela.

Translation:

"The Great Lord"

Dark children, they knock

My people's name, no longer there,

They called and called,

No sound in the air.

Even outside my door,

There were those who did not enter

From my window came

Our tribe, we never say "Go!"

Because it seems as if it is so,

There is no trace of the wind

What was an ancient day

Or my heart, it says "Great Lord!"

Great Lord, but not this

Black bird in the wind

Many secrets we have taken

But it will never come back.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/ai-created-images-lose-us-copyrights-test-new-technology-2023-02-22/

Images in a graphic novel that were created using the artificial-intelligence system Midjourney should not have been granted copyright protection, the U.S. Copyright Office said in a letter seen by Reuters.

"Zarya of the Dawn" author Kristina Kashtanova is entitled to a copyright for the parts of the book she wrote and arranged, but not for images she made using Midjourney, the office said in its letter, dated Tuesday.

The decision is one of the first by a U.S. court or agency on the scope of copyright protection for works created with AI, and comes amid the meteoric rise of generative AI software like Midjourney, Dall-E and ChatGPT.

The Copyright Office said in its letter that it would reissue its registration for "Zarya of the Dawn" to omit images that "are not the product of human authorship."

6 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

I have long believed that a civilization which finally reaches its apogee of technological development would result in a society of artists (or thinkers, more broadly speaking).

Apparently it makes a cyberpunk dystopia with extreme wealth disparity and ecological devastation instead.