Villain Creation Think Thread: The Blood Red King

steriaca

17 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

See, that's the issue that I, personally, would have with the character if placed in the CU. That setting already has an explicit pseudo-Sauron character, who is also a master necromancer. There's some reinventing of the wheel there. That's why my suggestions were geared toward giving your King of Scarlet a more distinctive style and motivation. For what you say you want the character to be, he might work better in an original setting where he's the only occupant of his niche.

Ok. I understand Takofanes sits there. I don't see it myself, but then again I don't have a game.

I would also like to understand why he should be a "rival" of the Shadow Queen or Takofanes. Okay, the King and the Queen both rule realms in Faerie. The King and the Archlich both rule undead. What brings them into conflict? What do they want from each other?

The rivalry with Takofanes could easily be ignored, mostly because of the distance between dimensions. The reason why the Shadow Queen hates him? He killed and turned undead one of her husbands.

This is why I want to bow out. What I would do is getting in the way of helping you with what you want to do.

It is understandable why you want to bow out. While I do want him to sit in the Sauron seat, if you have an idea which is more fairy tales related he could sit in, then he should sit there instead. 

Earth humans only know of the King of Scarlet from vaguely remembered fariy tales. Evil mages on Earth know a bit more, people in Babylon might know more than that.

Takofanes probably does know of him, but as you point out they don't interact so it doesn't make sense for them to have a rivalry enough for a limitation. 

The King of Scarlet has a undead kingdom, but unlike Takofanes the kingdom has a sizable living population, on purpose. Many of the fariy tales around the King tells of daring rescues and escapes, only for the hero to years later die and there bodies dissapeared before they could be buried or other furnial rites given. It's harder for him to steal bodies from across dimensions but not impossible for him to do so. "You are mine, forever. There is no escape from my service."

Consider this:

All in my Realm are Known to Me:

A mind scan (or Clairvoyance) based on the idea that the blood that composes him flows from him and through his realm and back.  The rich soil of his kingdom (or wherever he happens to be leaking blood) is enrichened by the magical blood flowing through it.  He can taste in his blood the presence (and possibly the identity) of anyone who steps into the area.

(My Hemogoblins are ambush predators.  This is how they hunt.  At night, you just think the soil is a bit damp....)

If course, The King of Scarlet and the Shadow Queen are not the only ones to watch out for in Faerie. There is also...

The Wolf of the Wind: The "big bad wolf" of legends. An intelligent speaking wolf who is at times a villain and an antihero. He doesn't rule his part of Faerie (The Animal Lands), but is a major player.

The Goose Witch: While not evil,this story loving "human" witch flies the skys of the Animal Lands on a giant Gander is not one to upset.

The Old and Merry King: Always smiling and laughing, King Coal (usually not addressed as such by his subjects, but only as The Old and Merry King) lives to be happy, sometimes at the expense of his subjects. His kingdom is, of course, The Happy Kingdom (at times, crying is punished by death, depending on how Old Coal is feeling that day).

53 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think you may want another name for "The Goose Witch." That has some unfortunate implications.

"Ganderwitch" is essentially the same thing, but less provocative sounding.

True. Her name is supposedly based on "Mother Goose", and I thought "The Goose Witch" was similar enough without beating over the head with it. "Ganderhaxen" might sound better. Give her a kindly german grandmother accent and your good.

Other people:

The Golden Princess: She looks like a moving golden statue of ancient Greek origin, she is the daughter of King Midas of legend (who gave the Golden Kingdom to her to get away from people). She is a basic brick with intelligence, living in a land where every living thing is living gold. Her true name is Marigold (keep hidden as that is the culture of the ruling class in Faerie).

The main lands are The Seelie Land (seelie faeries and elves), the Great Mountain (dwarf), the Happy Kingdom (humans), the Animal Lands (talling animals with human intelligence), The Unseelie Lands (unseelie faeries and dark elves), the Hill Lands (human farmers and halflings), the Land Of Clouds (cloud giants), the Shadow Lands (dragons), the Scarlet Lands (undead), Yamato (Japanese folk legends), and the North Lands (Baba Yaga, Vikings, Russian folk legends among others), and needs a name for Faerie Russia.

Wondering how to change the title of this thread while on my cellphone. A better title would be "Faerie in Champions".

Note: Feel free to tell me if I'm going too far from the source material. 

The Wolf of the Wind: Powers.

'Blow Your House Down": cone shaped double Knockback Blast, air special effect. 

Flying: Special effect of releasing air below or behind him.

Shapechange: Can assume a human form as long as he can find appropriate human clothing. 

Stomach Storage: Can "eat" things for later use. Even living things. Basically the Extradimensinal Spaces power, everything can be released unwilling if the gut is sliced. It is how Grandma and Red survive being eaten. Same with the Seven Goat Kids.

Ganderhaxen: a wise old woman with witch powers and a giant gander to fly on.

Magical Potions: most of her magic is potions she can brew and give temporary abilities to others.

Story Speak: She knows the languages of all beings, including non-human speaking animals. Not only that, but she can permit anyone to understand what she speaks.

Giant Gander: it's a loyal to the Ganderhexan and can change it's size and flys. It is intelligence as a human but cannot speak human languages.