British Invasion -- Cygnia Style!

Cygnia

So, we're planning on hitting the UK in September for a vacation (details as to when exactly and how long are still up in the air).  Probably London will be where we're staying (not sure where specifically)...

...now we just need to figure out what we're gonna do!

Hubby is a big proponent of Doing Things We Can't Do In The States, so, while museums aren't bad options, he wants to know what else?

We're thinking about visiting the Eye.

I am insisting on hitting St John for dining one night.  Any other restaurants worth checking out?

A friend suggested taking a bus to Stonehenge, then visiting Bath afterwards.

We do want to maybe visit a castle up in Scotland.  Wales might be neat as well.

Since it'll be close to Doctor Who's 60th anniversary, will anything be open celebrating it?

Ok you want to do things that you can't do in the States ?

Try walking from place to place. Parking is a nightmare. The streets are narrow and we did not set out our cities in a grid fashion.

It will depend how long you spend in London and which airport you come in from because Gatwick and Heathrow are not linked as to where they drop people in relation to the capital as I know full well having used both and assisted friends getting to and from them. Heathrow allows you to use rail to get to Paddington station and to use the Underground as well to reach a destination. Gatwick allows you to use rail to get to Victoria Station. From there you can get the tube or take a taxi. I can give you more info when you firm up plans.

Victoria Station is close to Buckingham Palace and you can see that if you want a quick walk from the station. However as you might be fresh off the flight you might want to go t the hotel first.

Right next to the Palace are St James Park and Green Park which are nice. Crossing Green Park takes you towards the Ritz where you can have tea BUT due to demand you have to book a night in the hotel which is how can I put this ? EXPENSIVE.

Down from the Ritz is Fortnum and Mason grocers to the Crown. One of a number of the best known shops in the country. Food and sweets can be bought here but other things as well. They have all sorts of what I would term artisanal honey for example.

If you follow the road down Eastwards and you get to Piccadilly Circus and the statue of Cupid or Eros. Going East you will reach Leicester (pronounced Lester) Square. This is where the cinemas are where they do premieres and there are theatres around as well. This will put you close to Trafalgar Square and Nelson's Column and the National Portrait Gallery.

But if you go North into Regent Street you can see the shop Liberty which was built out of ships to get around planning and tax regulations but also more importantly Hamleys THE Toy shop.

If you only go to one museum in London go to the Natural History Museum. It is one of the most gorgeous buildings anywhere. Right beside it is the Science Museum and across the road is the Victoria and Albert museum. Close by is the Royal Albert Hall. The Promenade concerts run there and finish in September so you could go to one of those. You won't get to go to Last Night as you have to attend a number of other concerts in the season and you will not be there long enough for that.

Up the road from the the museums is Harrods. A Gelateri that is wonderful, food and drink and other things (clothes, watches, perfume etc). But your wallet will scream BLUE MURDER. Mine did.

But if you want to pay tribute to an American you could visit Selfridges which is the one true rival to Harrods. Both shops are large and have a wide variety of things. Your wallet will not tolerate you visiting both I think.

You could visit The Tower of London which has the original castle built for William the Conqueror in 1078 so it is over a thousand years old. The Crown Jewels are found there. Warning it is expensive. Nearby is Tower Bridge and HMS Belfast but there are a couple of good restaurants close by as well.

Other things in London include St Pauls Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, The Imperial War Museum and the British Museum

You could go down to the Thames Barrier which would be something different.

There are various castles you could go to like Dover Castle and Leeds Castle.

I can find nothing about anything Dr Who related other than the specials being made for transmission in November 2023.

You could go to Stonehenge from Bath. It's about 35 miles. Not sure how close you can get to the stones at the moment.

Can't help you with regard to Wales or Scotland I am afraid.

York has a nice steam train museum. As well as being a Royal stronghold and the capital of the Yorkists in the War of the Roses.

I cannot stress how expensive you will find my country so bring money.

We need to consult Dr Democracy. If he is still working he could arrange a trip around Parliament.

Anything else you might want ?

1 minute ago, dmjalund said:

all the way from Hawaii is a long way for a ghost to travel

But if you have Desolid, Flight, and Full (After)Life Support, it's probably no big deal. You can take a shortcut by going through the planet instead of traveling on the surface.

50 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Well...

...after sending the hubby DT's very fine advice, he now is suggesting we go to Portland/Seattle/Vancouver instead.  

I can only assume he is terrified of Death Tribble. ;)

I think it is the money side of things.

And the unstated threat that all your spelling will be corrected.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

...after sending the hubby DT's very fine advice, he now is suggesting we go to Portland/Seattle/Vancouver instead. 

There's several of us who can give pointers for that latter destination.  As a point of clarification: Vancouver WA (across the Columbia River from Portland OR), or Vancouver BC (about 2.5 hours by car north of Seattle, plus border crossing time ... that time is likely to be longer returning to the US than entering Canada)?

I will leave Portland and Portland area for others to comment about (with one exception), since I have spent very, very little time in Portland.  (The exception is Multnomah Falls bridge, which is famous for photos by Ansel Adams and others; my great-grandfather was a contractor in its construction.)

On vacations I tend to focus on natural history/geology/etc. rather than human-origin stuff, but if that's not your preference, say so.

Between Portland and Seattle is Mt St Helens, which is kinda unique.  On a day with rain or low overcast, you won't see anything of the volcano itself, though.

Other ideas will come later ... lecture in 25 minutes.

You might look at packages that include a Canada Rails train trip to Vancouver (assuming you can get to/from Windsor or Toronto easily), and either renting a car there or other ground transport in that area (maybe a side trip to Victoria BC as well).  Vancouver & environs can provide a vacation experience by itself.  My wife & I have talked about that sort of thing but going east out of Vancouver...