Is S2 of ST: Discovery worth watching for the Christopher Pike stuff alone?

Joe Walsh

Four episodes in, we're on the verge of dropping Star Trek: Discovery from our lineup. The two-episode series opener was good, but the next two episodes revealed those episodes to be the bait for a switch to something else entirely.

As a recent fan of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, my only remaining question is whether the inclusion of Christopher Pike makes Discovery S2 worth watching.

If you're a fan of SNW, what's your opinion? Is Discovery S2 worth watching for Pike even if we don't care about the other Discovery characters or their storylines?

It is not worth watching for Pike, but might be worth watching for Spock.  He had a much bigger role in Discovery than Pike.  Though it is worth noting that the Spock in the Discovery is a different Spock than the the one in TOS or even SNW.  He is a younger Spock who is still dealing with issues than his older selves had already come terms.

CBS was touting the final season of Picard...with Frakes in it.  Got me wondering why this was the case...

The tone of many reviews is "the best thing about Picard, overall, is it's not as bad as Discovery."  

I've avoided ALL of them since the opening episode of Discovery fired a full salvo of photon torpedoes into my suspension of disbelief.  That, and I loathe paying to stream.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

The tone of many reviews is "the best thing about Picard, overall, is it's not as bad as Discovery."  

I don't agree with this assessment. On the whole, I think Discovery is a better series than Picard.

I also feel that Discovery has gotten better each season. Season 1 was very hard for me to watch just because of all the grimdark, but having Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh in it made it worthwhile. Season 2 felt a lot more like Star Trek. And yeah, having Pike and Spock helped a lot.

But Strange New Worlds is a much better series than either Discovery or Picard. :thumbup:

On 1/30/2023 at 12:22 PM, GM Joe said:

The two-episode series opener was good, but the next two episodes revealed those episodes to be the bait for a switch to something else entirely.

I don't remember any bait and switch. The season follows a consistent story line. Is it a great story line? Eh. It gets us to Season 3, explains some things about Burnham and Spock (quite a bit, really), and isn't terrible. It's worth watching, IMO, to see how the spin off is set up, but not strictly necessary.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:24 PM, Pattern Ghost said:

I don't remember any bait and switch. The season follows a consistent story line.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term. The first two episodes looked and felt like a prestige streaming production of one of America's media mega-corps. But the subsequent episodes looked and felt like a cheap production created to fill a hole in SyFy's lineup.

Is it a great story line? Eh. It gets us to Season 3, explains some things about Burnham and Spock (quite a bit, really), and isn't terrible. It's worth watching, IMO, to see how the spin off is set up, but not strictly necessary.

In that case, maybe we'll watch it some day. But for now it just doesn't seem to be worth the time for us.