Off to Iscandar -- RIP Leiji Matsumoto

Michael Hopcroft

Manga has lost one of its giants with the death of Space Opera legend Leiji Matsumoto. His best-known creations are the legendary space pirate/rebel Captain Harlock, the pioneering Space Battleship Yamato (one of the first anime series to be released in the US, under the title Star Blazers) and the proto-transhumanist fantasy Galaxy Express 999.  He also created the music video series Interstellar 5555  for Techno masters Daft Punk.

He was known for his distinctive art style with languid lines contrasting with detailed and realistic technology, his controversial relationship with war (to this day his film The Cockpit is banned in much of the world), and his powerful mix of space and seeming-anachronisms like space cruisers modeled on WWII battleships (which always held a fascination for him) and spacefaring railway trains. His legacy, as I mentioned, is complex, yet there is astonishing beauty in much of his work.

My first anime I remember much of was Voltron (Defender of the Universe). Then I saw Akira in 1988 (I ran into an oild con friend there) and referred to it as a crossover of 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The big moment was when I rented the first episodes of Urusei Yatsura. That's what got me to the club at one last and it would be decades before I looked back.