Horatio on the bridge

Doc Democracy

I went with a Change Environment (-30m Running), with something like AoE 3m, OIF ("Great Weapon"). If you want it to have a PRE component, PRE Roll to Activate. Basically, if you're fast, you can make it by the guy with the giant sword, otherwise, you're stopping to fight.

A more advanced version might increase the radius, decrease the PRE roll requirement, or tack on a Trigger Attack with the sword that resets itself.

This kind of thing is where the bigger two-handers shine. The montante material that still exists has methods designed specifically for holding ground. It isn't meant for the guy to hold the gap (or bridge) indefinitely, just long enough for back-up to arrive and help push back.

Look, I was really hoping someone else would point this out-- mostly because my memory on this is really fyzzy, but didn't it only work out for Horatio (well, in the heroic sacrifice kind of "worked out") because some quirk of honor amongst his opponents required them to defeat him before going forward?

Seriously-  I meant to look it up, but got sidetracked and forgot, then someone bumped this thread...  You know how it goes.

But if this was the case, you have essentially created a situation where his opponents come to him.

Granted, the larger conversation is still fails: how does one man guard a bridge that is more than three hexes wide.

I’m no historian, but I think Horatio used a pile of dead bodies as an arrow shield and funnel for the onrushing enemy Etruscan soldiers. They had to go through him rather than around him. It might be an honor thing was going on too.

Change Environment works for me. It could also include a DCV reduction as well, making it easier to kill enemies. Change Environment is apparently not subject to the halving effect of Adjustment powers from what I can tell.

Without superpowers, a reach melee weapon, modern firearms, or terrain features to exploit, one person doesn't hold a breach. You can always say that the brave hero makes a PRE attack and forces opponents to freeze or engage. Perhaps getting the result of strongly consider what you say is enough to make your opponents challenge you one-on-one.

32 minutes ago, Steve said:

I’m no historian, but I think Horatio used a pile of dead bodies as an arrow shield and funnel for the onrushing enemy Etruscan soldiers. 

YES!!

_that_ was it!

Thank you, Steve!

It wasn't a matter of him defending the width of the bridge; he had reduced the available area to a size that he could defend.

So say his front three hexes, which is totally doable in HERO--

If your Horatio is good enough.

Publius Horatius Cocles also called "Cyclops" because he had lost an eye fighting in wars past, commanded the garrison of the bridge Pons Subius, the only bridge across the Tiber river along the Etruscan side. AS the Roman right wing lost its leaders wounded and removed from the field, it routed towards the bridge, the garrison underwent a morale loss and fled across the bridge. This resulted in the retreat of the remaining already outnumbered Romans, the center crossed successfully in good order, the left wing arrived and began its crossing, Horatio shames its commanders into staying and defending the bridge from the invaders. (Spurius Larcius, and Titus Heminius Aquilinius). After a period of time [probably 20 to 30 minutes] with the bridge nearly dismantled behind them and their shields in flinders and armor in tatters the two leaders begin a retreat and order Horatio to join them. ( the Etruscan end of the bridge was only 6-7 meters wide while the roman side was 15-20 meters.) The fighting had created a wall of bodies about a meter high and edge to edge of the bridge, [up to this point most of the histories by Roman period accounts mostly agree] Horatio continues to defend the bridge until the dismantling is completed, "then he turns his back upon the enemy and MOONS them, the Etruscans begin pelting him with projectiles one of which, a spear strikes him in the posterior. He then consigns his soul to the god Tibernius and leaps into the Tiber. Fully armed and armored he swims the Tiber to safety. " The bit in quotations is what is mostly disputed. The salient point though is that the three had built a wall of bodies across a 6-7 meter breach, allowing Horatio to continue the defense, for a period of time equal to that of the defense of the three. After which he made his escape although not unscathed.  

Sweep works in game, because of two things.   1 - in game we suspend reality,  2 - we accept that suspension as proper.  In truth even if the defender is armed with a double bladed pole arm (blades on either end)  anything beyond a meter and a half is out of range. Horatio got away with his defense because initially it was three superlative warriors on the bridge. They piled up bodies up in front of them into a wall, trying to climb such will leave you defenseless, a meter wall might be jumpable, but a meter by meter probably is not. The Thermopylae point is well taken, but remember they were flanked and destroyed. A fantastic warrior could hold a choke point bridge a long time, until  the other side decided it was projectile time. Bing, bang, boom game over.  

As I mentioned upthread, Horatio had two friends with him, so he wasn't covering the whole width by himself, until the bridge had been damaged enough that it was on the brink of collapse. Then his friends left, leaving him to cover the presumably narrower remnant.

It seems he fell/jumped into the Tiber and died, since his two companions were later elected as Consuls, and he wasn't. Of course, none of these accounts are reliable.

That doesn't cover the general case, but raises the obvious question: is there a general case that's worth dealing with, especially when the "solutions" are powers/talents that characters presumably need to choose from a myriad such constructs.

Actually he did not die. He survived the swim but was judged no longer fit to fight. The consul's of Rome awarded him a significant pension, that was honored by the Etruscan that was put back on the throne of Rome. (Tarquinius Superbus, last king of Rome) The Etruscan army he held at bay at the bridge, besieged Rome, and captured it. @ 6 th. century BCE.