2023-24 NFL season

unclevlad

With the draft imminent, I think we can expect there will be Considerable Grousing about how Our Team Messed Up...and laughter at the follies of other teams' draft choices.

Since that's so focused on the upcoming season, it feels the proper time to kick off a fresh thread for our discussions.

Oh my.  I didn't see this before.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-suspends-five-players-including-four-lions-for-violating-gambling-policy

2 were technical.  The league rules say NO betting from any NFL-affiliated facility, including practice facilities.  The other 3...for the entire season...were betting on NFL games, per NYT.  

Blowing basically any control off sports betting has opened the doors, and there are going to be downsides.  How much this will be, kinda remains to be seen.  It's not clear it's a real institutional problem.  YET.  But the potential for something Really Ugly is there.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Oh my.  I didn't see this before.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-suspends-five-players-including-four-lions-for-violating-gambling-policy

2 were technical.  The league rules say NO betting from any NFL-affiliated facility, including practice facilities.  The other 3...for the entire season...were betting on NFL games, per NYT.  

Blowing basically any control off sports betting has opened the doors, and there are going to be downsides.  How much this will be, kinda remains to be seen.  It's not clear it's a real institutional problem.  YET.  But the potential for something Really Ugly is there.

So the league is going to suspend players for gambling, while simultaneously taking in millions of dollars in sports book advertising revenue?

All righty then. 

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

I will say this here and now. This time the Vikings go all the way and win.

Oh, I'm sure they won't go winless all season.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

No, this is the year he's right.  If nothing else I can guarantee they'll do better than the Raiders.

In terms of place in the standings within their division, or total wins?

Actually, the projected win totals are very close on DraftKings.  Vikes, Under 8.5 is -130, so small favorite to happen;  Raiders Under 7.5 is +150, so they're expected to go over.  So pretty much...8 each.

As was pointed out, tho, it's way too early to put much stock on these.  The opponents and home teams are set, but not the full schedules.  Neither team is stuck with an international game, but who knows how many Thursday games they'll have.  

And hey, the two of you can get together and watch the game!!!  Vikes at Raiders, date TBA.  Since it's a Raider home game, our resident geriatric gets to host.  Just remember that tribbles need 20x their body weight in snack foods daily.  Fortunately furballs don't weigh too much.

Denver has already screwed up their draft by sending most of their picks to Seattle and New Orleans.  

The only solid expectation I have for the Donkeys this year is that they won't win as many games this season as the Avalanche win in this year's NHL playoffs.

On the Cards...I'm not following things closely at all;  I don't have it on TV.  I'd rather wait til the end of the round and have the time to look things over....

Starlord:  I refuse to ignore the character concerns, because they've proven to be overriding too often.  "The best ability is availability" isn't a proper characterization, IMO, but it's true that if you take yourself off the field, it doesn't matter how good you are.

Article about the Jackson contract...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/27/lamar-jackson-contract-guarantees-self-negotiated-deal

Well I don't hate the Seattle or Vegas picks.  I thought for sure Jalen Carter would be a Raider.  The Lions make the first real mistake reaching for a non-Bijan RB.  I was really hoping Bijan Robinson would go to the Eagles and their #1 O-line but I guess Arthur Smith needs a new Derrick Henry.

7 minutes ago, Old Man said:

There were some weird rumors about Levis' "personality" leading into the draft, but I'm surprised he's fallen this far already.

I don't care if he eats bananas in his coffee just as long as he doesn't do things to land himself in jail

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

Broncos haven't made a stupid pick yet tonight.

Yet

15 minutes ago, Old Man said:

There were some weird rumors about Levis' "personality" leading into the draft, but I'm surprised he's fallen this far already.

Maybe he'll get drafted by a team that is stable enough to let him watch & learn for a year or three. Kinda like Aaron Rodgers all those years ago.