A Breakdown of Critical Role's new RPG

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I don't believe your joking. So you're Murder Squatters, but it's all right because the Orcish family you just slew was loud and obnoxious and the HOA would like you better?

Knowing players, they probably killed the HOA folks as well.

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Knowing HOA's, it was the ultimate Chaotic Good act.

I know people who have to deal with their respective HOAs. I doubt they'd agree with the "good" part.

But let's not derail this thread. It's always good to see new games not based on D&D, but I always ask myself what can the new game do that an older system couldn't? So what can Candela Obscura do that Call of Cthulhu couldn't? I know the mechanics are totally different, but if I can do something with a game I already own, why would I invest money and time to buy the new game and learn a new system?

Edited by tkdguy

44 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

I know people who have to deal with their respective HOAs. I doubt they'd agree with the "good" part.

But let's not derail this thread. It's always good to see new games not based on D&D, but I always ask myself what can the new game do that an older system couldn't? So what can Candela Obscura do that Call of Cthulhu couldn't? I know the mechanics are totally different, but if I can do something with a game I already own, why would I invest money and time to buy the new game and learn a new system?

It can be a 'new' game that is being put forward by Critical Role, which has almost unprecedented name recognition with the most recent generation of gamers.

That coupled with the recent Foot-In-Mouth disease that Hasbro seems to suffer from, can go a long way for it to get a foot hold.

While you are right that it is likely that the older games might be just as good or even better, they are also "old" or unknown to a vast percentage of the current gaming population.

On 5/29/2023 at 1:09 PM, tkdguy said:

but if I can do something with a game I already own, why would I invest money and time to buy the new game and learn a new system?

And that is how we ended up using Traveller (and eventually Champions) to play Westerns.

Traveller was actually easier: we had all the weapons stats ( bows, hatchets, clubs, etc were in Citizens of the Imperium) and had nothinf that really had to built: just grab some supplies and start.

Champions worked well, too, except we had to build bows, hatchets, horses.....

Edited by Duke Bushido
Because apparently "hatchet" isn't a Korean word