Deadlands Hero

Bozimus

Originally posted by Bozimus

The system is colorful and interesting. And VERY unbalanced, IMO. Hucksters for example. From what little I have seen, they can wield enormous power with a lucky draw of the cards. I have also heard, from Lamrok, that many of the books give far too powerful abilities to the players. Maybe Lamrok will elaborate...

I just think it would be nice to translate it into a system like Hero, where I can maintain a little control over the power levels, yet keep the flavor.

One thing that's hard but fun to retain is the open-ended rule. It's definitely unbalancing but a big part of the unpredictable fun of Deadlands. I wonder if allowing chips to be spent to open-end damage would be viable in HERO? It'd have to be red or maybe even blue, something that couldn't be used often but when it did it would be dramatic.

Originally posted by zornwil

One thing that's hard but fun to retain is the open-ended rule. It's definitely unbalancing but a big part of the unpredictable fun of Deadlands. I wonder if allowing chips to be spent to open-end damage would be viable in HERO? It'd have to be red or maybe even blue, something that couldn't be used often but when it did it would be dramatic.

Maybe let them reroll some ones with a white chip while the use of red, blue or legend chips allows a certain number of sixes to be be treated as aces?

Originally posted by misterdeath

Aces is a pretty common term for "ones" where dice are concerned.

"I rolled all aces" == "I got all ones".

D

Not what I meant, sorry for the miscommunication. "Ace" means you rolled max on the die and get to roll another to add to your total. This is the terminology used in the Deadlands game which I play. May not be universal...

Not what I meant, sorry for the miscommunication. "Ace" means you rolled max on the die and get to roll another to add to your total. This is the terminology used in the Deadlands game which I play. May not be universal...

I didn't realize that was the term for it, though I knew it as "open-ending" or similar. We're on the same page, then.

Re: Gurps Deadlands

UltraRob,

Your cinematic suggestion is interesting. How has it worked thus far? Any attempted abuse?

Actually, the only problem I have run into is players wanting to spend a point to make the badguys reroll their attack damage...:s One badguy rolled a critical success last game and the player wanted me to reroll it so he wasn't knocked out...I let him do it, and it was fine...but it seemed a trivial way to spend an experience point when his side wasn't losing or anything....

This group was used to Hero Points from the "DC/Blood of Heros" system to begin with, and love the idea of being able to add their own creative touches to the story. I have to admit, I have gotten used to it too, and it's nice to have a way the players can save themselves when luck goes against them without having to resort to GM intervention.

As long as you don't let the points produce "absolute" results (except for "not die"), I think they don't get abused really. They can't use them to get out of traps, or really defeat a bad guy, just boost their odds at critical times and play with chance a little. (Which ends up just making the game all the more heroic.)

Rob

It might be, we never got farther than character creation. The GM seemed amazed that anyone could draw that many high red cards from the deck...

Have no idea what to do from there.

D

It might be, we never got farther than character creation. The GM seemed amazed that anyone could draw that many high red cards from the deck...

Have no idea what to do from there.

D

It's a fun game, you guys should dive in, if I may presume.

When we played, the GM let us use the archetypes and move around some stats to suit our tastes, that seemed to work well. People could opt to do the random process, which a couple did, it seemed those characters needed more "fixing".

It's a fun game, you guys should dive in, if I may presume.

When we played, the GM let us use the archetypes and move around some stats to suit our tastes, that seemed to work well. People could opt to do the random process, which a couple did, it seemed those characters needed more "fixing".

Alas, the guy with the books moved back to Huntsville. So, I'd have to hunt down books, and learn a system, and find people who want to play.

Too much work for me.

D

Alas, the guy with the books moved back to Huntsville. So, I'd have to hunt down books, and learn a system, and find people who want to play.

Too much work for me.

D

Ah, that's understandable, too bad. Well, if your group does get back around to it, I can attest that it's a fun game.

Ah, that's understandable, too bad. Well, if your group does get back around to it, I can attest that it's a fun game.

Seems like it could be interesting.

I had thought I had made a comment on random character creation, but I see I hadn't.

Part of me (the lucky bastage that rolls well) loves random character creation. Nuff said.

Part of me (the point whore) hates them (not enough customization--too locked into the rolls).

For easy of play, customizable archetypes are cool. But, they have to be pretty customizable.

D

Too much work for me.

D

Or you could play Deadlands Hero - once we convert it and I set up the PBeM...

Too much work for me.

D

Many of the books are available through PDF...

http://www.rpgnow.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=111&PHPSESSID=c7f697520db30703e977397e22d46f26

You should do what I did...join a PBeM as a player to familiarize yourself with the system slowly. Trust me, if you try to run this before playing it a rules lawyer or powergamer is gonna make your GM life a pure living hell...

Many of the books are available through PDF...

http://www.rpgnow.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=111&PHPSESSID=c7f697520db30703e977397e22d46f26

You should do what I did...join a PBeM as a player to familiarize yourself with the system slowly. Trust me, if you try to run this before playing it a rules lawyer or powergamer is gonna make your GM life a pure living hell...

Thanks for the reference, as stupid as this sounds it didn't occur to me to seek out PDFs of not-too-old RPG books.