Full Metal Alchemist

Michael Hopcroft

I don't know how full a pciture of a wordl you can get from three episodes of a techno-fantasy series, but over the last month I did get to see the frist three episodes of a new series called Full Metal Alchemist that looks like it has a very intguing premise.

basically, in this world the preeminent form of magic is Alchemy, which has a strict set of rules. basically if you want to make something with Alchemy you have to trade value-for-value. the heroes are a pair of brothers who tried to ressurect their mother when children 9they were both extaordinarily gifted) and got it diisastrously wrong; the older brother lost onbe arm and one leg, the younger borther lost his entire body (his soul is not encased in a suit of armor -- saving his soul is what cost the older brother his arm) and the thing that energed from the magic circle wasn;t remotely human. In spite of this folly the older brother went on to become a leading governemtn Alchemist and the brothers search the world for the Philosopher's stone, while seeming to have attracted the attention of extremely powerful vilains who seem to represent the Seven Deadly Sins (there's a goreous woman called Lust and a hulking brute claled Gluttony that we've met so far).

My wife has been watching fansubs of this, up through episode 10 or so. She loves it. I'm not much for anime (I like Hakusho, Gundam Wing, Saiyuki, and Weiss Kruez so far) but watching that one over her shoulder looks like I might like that one too (along with Airmaster). The scene with Edward (the older brother) on the train when he realized he was on the tender was priceless.